Skip to main content

Reply to "Synlube"

quote:
Originally posted by vitual_mage:
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Kirk:
quote:
Originally posted by vitual_mage:
Big bear you got a point,in my application,they recommended 5w20 since i see deep cold during the winter,-50 Celsius in not uncommon here .Im not brand loyal when it come to oil,if anyone could give me some lube with a better pour point i would jump on it.

Even amsoil addresses the 5w-20 as not being needed and too thin!! Go Check it out. I guess they are wrong as well according to all the "experts" on this forum!!

well....i do need thin oil,its not just something i use for fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn-ZBdKu7O8

enjoy....
Since you live in the land of the Alberta clipper, I am sure you have a cold weather package on the jeep?? Block heater,and oil pan heater. Even with the best oil,at -40,warming up things before you crank the engine is best. I know of propane heaters that are used when no electric is available by some. After all the mods you have performed thus far,a cold weather package would be a prudent choice.

Also, why is 5w-20(petroleum) better than 5w-30 synthetic,the cold weather spec is better with the 5w-30 syn. Or why not use 0w-30 synthetic at least? However,it does depend on the brand and so forth. Once your engine heats up the 5w-30/ 0w-30 is better for the sake of argument. Just look at the specs.