Skip to main content

Reply to "Synlube"

quote:
Originally posted by vitual_mage:
quote:
Since you live in the land of the Alberta clipper, I am sure you have a cold weather package on the jeep?? Block heater,and oil pan heater. Even with the best oil,at -40,warming up things before you crank the engine is best. I know of propane heaters that are used when no electric is available by some. After all the mods you have performed thus far,a cold weather package would be a prudent choice.

Also, why is 5w-20(petroleum) better than 5w-30 synthetic,the cold weather spec is better with the 5w-30 syn. Or why not use 0w-30 synthetic at least? However,it does depend on the brand and so forth. Once your engine heats up the 5w-30/ 0w-30 is better for the sake of argument. Just look at the specs.

I do have a block heater,a 250w pad heater under the oil pan , battery blanket and the most important heated seat.

Then why do you claim to need thin oil. You are heating up the oil,..so cold starts should not be an issue.

I see more cold starts then you,and I live in NJ without any cold weather package. It does get plenty cold in NJ especially during the early morning such as single digits or even zero F.(-17.8 C.).

Therefore my oil(synlube) is actually more chilled than what your jeep will experience in Alberta because of your pan heater in the dead of winter in the early morning. Your oil would be heated to about 60 F. I would think. I will assume if no propane heater then you probably start and run your engine if your off road etc. to maintain some warmth.

I once ran amsoil series 2000, 20w-50 in another car and it started at zero F.(-17.8 C.) and not even one tick,at 175,000 miles!!