Skip to main content

Reply to "Toyota Engine Oil Sludge/Failure"

I see a great deal of Charlene bashing going on here, I for one agree with her.
Up until recently I had the utmost confidence with toyota products. Like many on this site I believed the sludge problem was due to poor maintenance procedures. But I began hearing about Toyota's sludge issue from multiple sources.
Then something happened to make me see the light. My father in law owned a 2002 toyota sienna mini van. He became a victim of the toyota sludge problem.His engine had to be rebuilt with only 45,000 miles on it. It started rather suddenly when the engine would belch out huge amounts of white smoke upon starting the engine. Then his oil consumption went through the roof as in 1 quart every 1,000 miles or less! Toyota said the car was out of warranty and refused to do anything unless it was payed for. The problem became so bad my father in law relented and had them repair the engine. I am sure that totyota dealers across the country are doing what this dealer did to my father in law. This tactic would explain why the sludge issue "appears" to be a small problem according to toyota. But her is the best part. My father in law is religous about changing his oil. Oil and filter every 3,000 miles like clockwork.
Just a quick side note, as per consumer reports Toyota is no longer the best car maker with the fewest reported problems. They have slipped into third place. It is easy to assume that their sludge problem has played a role in this.