Skip to main content

Reply to "Ultrasonic detectors, the real deal?"

I'd like to get the discussion of these lubrication monitors going again. What are the thoughts on these devices. Do they really do what they claim? The real question is "can lube techs listen to bearings and reliably determine if a bearing needs to be greased before there is damage to the bearing?" What manufacturers equipment are you using? I know SDT has a package for bearing monitoring, UE has a gun adapter, and UVLM has one also. I am in the the middle of putting together a comparison report on these lubricators and have basically been researching all I can find on them for the past two months.

Another item that has been bothering me about these lubricators is the fact that the three manufacturers all focus their frequency responses in different ranges. For example, UVLM's monitor is purely acoustic, where as UE's is centered around 40 kHz. Makes you wonder what sort of differences would appear appear if you compared them side by side while greasing bearings of exact same condition. Would one gun indicate that more or less grease is needed than the other??