Skip to main content

Reply to "Understanding - emissivity"

I agree that it is a very under utilized tool. Like stated, most are unaware of its potential and/or they don't understand how it works to effectively use it. We have all read stories of companies abandoning their oil analysis programs because they feel it doesn't work for them but it was just they didn't understand the tests being performed or how to interprut the data. Same thing applies with IR. IR for electrical is GREAT and works wonders for finding problems and inefficiencies but it took some playing around to find other applications. I use mine for larger slow moving bearings where vibration has difficulty picking things up. I also use it on many bearing applications other than slow moving but it was a pleasant surprise to find a way to monitor those slow moving items. I also check for missing refractory in our furnaces and duct work. We can get an idea of how much work will be required before we shut down. Before it took a day or so of being shut down to determine just how much work was required, now we have an idea before we go in for inspection. Great tool but under utilized and misunderstood. It gives a 3rd dimension to failure detection.