Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on Oil Analysis and Tribology

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Lauri,

There are several questions I would ask if I had to do a root cause analysis on this component.

What was the H2O ppm of the sample? If the oil is clouding in a couple of weeks, I would look for a possible scource of moisture intrusion. Moisture would be my first thought.

Is the recirc pump a positive displacement pump (PDP)? We have seen Fe numbers fairly high in some of our PDPs.

Did Analytical Ferrography show it as cutting wear?

Different sample method/ personnel/ location/ operating conditions at the time of the sample?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Pete
Pete may well be correct that it is water causing the cloudiness. You should also be looking for acidity in the oil, as that may establish if the iron source is from corrosion or from wear. R-11 and moisture will react chemically at elevated temperatures to generate hydrochloric acid and R-21. R-123 will react with moisture to form hydrochloric acid and R-133a. R-134a is very stable in the presence of moisture, but the POE lubricant used in the system can react with moisture to generate weaker carboxylic acids. Refrigerant analysis can show the level of R-21 or R-133a to help establish the root cause of the problem.

You did not provide much information as to the type of refrigerant and oil in this system, so it is difficult to give you any guidance on what levels of moisture and acidity are acceptable.
Link copied to your clipboard.