Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on Desiccant Breathers and Oil Filter Carts.

I have heard allot about the turbine driven centrifuge but wanted to see for myself.
So I purchased ($299.00 CAN)a small Spinner II unit to test on dirty AW68 hydraulic oil. I set it up, Delta P was 80 psi at about 3 gpm and 80 deg F, suction and return at opposite sides of the 55 gallon drum and ran it for 2 days straight and it was spinning very fast with no backpressure. Pulled it apart and found it empty. Lab test prior was 21/20//17 and there was no change post test. Over 150 passes in that time.

I was wondering if there are any opinions out there on this matter? I would have thought something would have occured in terms of solids removal.

I am thinking about adding a barrel heater to get to over 120 dec F but am feelling it may not be worth the monies any further. I know it will work for diesel engines so I can put it to use elswhere.

I appreciate any replies.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm not sure how efficient they are on hydraulic oil but I have a few customers that have the Spinner systems on over the road tractors. I have been in the shop a couple of times at service time and was surprised how much soot the units removed from diesel engine oil. I can say from what I have seen on diesel engine oil they seem to work well. Many newer diesel engines are actually incorporating spinners within their oil filters. I know International has had them on their 466E engines for a couple of years now. In those engines it's actually a separate spinner cartridge that you change in addition to the regular pleated spin on filter. Must be something to them in this application since engine OEMs are making them factory on their engines. I really don't have any experience on other types of solid particle contamination with these filters. Hopefully someone else with practical experience in other applications can chime in.
Dear Mikoil,

The spinner is a marvelous piece of engineering, however it is very simple. The first rule is viscosity. The spinners work extremely well when the oil is <6 cSt in viscosity, and for most oils this means HOT. Engine oils run at 160 to 220 Deg F and have an ISO Viscosity of 30 to 50 @ 40 Deg C and are therefore well under the 6 cSt at operating temp. The second rule is residence time. Using 80 PSI shortens the residence time. Back off to 60 and see what happens.

Last please remember the math. If your hydraulic oil is ISO 22/19/17 and the gravametric analysis is 100 mg / liter then the total 55 gallon drum will yield 18 grams of schmoots. Not a lot. I hope you are also using the liners.

Lastly, please remember the origins where the spinner is succesfull.

On a Class 8 Truck with 25 quart sump the oil is run at 60 PSI and 2 GPM. Therefore the system turns over every 3 minutes. This works out to 2000 passes at 100 Deg C. betwen 3,000 mile oil changes. The spinner is great, but a man needs to know his limitations.

Good luck, and let us know ho it works out.
Link copied to your clipboard.