Skip to main content

Read our primer articles: OEE | RCM | Lean Manufacturing | Kaizen Events | FMEA

Hi,
I have one vertical die casting machine. For past couple of months hydraulic system is under break down, for which I am not able to find the reason. At first we had pump failure for which i removed the suction filter. Now as the pump was of vane type, during the breakage the vane debris has gone into the hydrulic system. We have started mechanical cleaning of the system. But i wanted to know that if any thing else will also be required to be done.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dear Satyender Bidesi

You need to get the oil filtered thoroughly after you clean the whole system. I suggest you to keep the oil cleanliness level at least NAS - 10 if not better. As such you need to keep the oil cleanliness level as per the recommondation of the manufacturer of the Power pack / most sensitive component. e.g servo valve needs NAS - 6 level and proportional valve will need minimum NAS - 8 level.
We offer professional Oil condition monitoring and cleaning services at customer site.

Our expert visit with Laser Particle counter and off line filtration system and clean the oil up to required level.

Provide your detail address contact information like E Mail id / telephone number / name of the company etc.you can send your details on our e mail hymatservices@yahoo.co.in or zankruti@mtnl.net.in to enable us to furnish more detail information.

V.S.Dave
HELLO I AM A PILOT ECUADORIAN AIR FORCE IN MY LAST FLY I HAVE ACCIDENT, ONLY THE AIRCRAFT IS 20% DAMAGED, IN MY REPORT INDICATE THAT THE BRAKES didn't WORK
THAT it should BE CARRIED OUT WHEN ONE HAS An ACCIDENT IN A LIGHT PLANE AND ONE PRESUMES THAT it is FOR FLAW OF THE BRAKES.
MI ASKS it is THAT should MAKE THE INVESTIGATOR to DETERMINE IF THE FLAW was GIVEN IN THE BRAKES, I LIQUIDATE HYDRAULIC OR SOME OTHER ELEMENT THAT WHICH I CAUSE THE ACCIDENT
THANK YOU
I AM RAUL MY WORK IS PILOT AIR FORCE, MY LAST FLY I HAVE A ACCIDENT THE AIRCRAFT IS DAMAGED 25%, I MY REPORT INDICATE THAT THE BRAKES didn't WORK.
THAT it should BE CARRIED OUT WHEN ONE HAS An ACCIDENT IN A LIGHT PLANE AND ONE PRESUMES THAT it is FOR FLAW OF THE BRAKES.
MI ASKS it is THAT should MAKE THE INVESTIGATOR to DETERMINE IF THE FLAW was GIVEN IN THE BRAKES, I LIQUIDATE HYDRAULIC OR SOME OTHER ELEMENT THAT WHICH I CAUSE THE ACCIDENT.
THANK YOU
JRTOLEDO@IXP.NET
Mr. Satyender Bidesi,

I have read your post and am curious, why did you remove the suction filter? Unless the system is extremely contaminated or the filter was sized incorrectly, there should not have been a need to remove it. How long had the system been running prior to the breakdown? Were there other failures prior to the pump breaking? What is the environment? I worked in the forging industry for several years and may have some insight which will help. Please let me know how you are making out.
First off, hyd. pumps don't just fail. there was a cause of this. Vanes breaking is not a sign of normal wear and tear on the system. second. i agree with above the system does need to be filtered and cleaned. the suction strainer needs to be replaced, the cause of the orignal failure could most probably be some kinda contamination is the system adn running the system w/o that strainer is gonna offer for a repeat fo that pump failure.
Magnetic Filters from One Eye offer 10 times mor powerful fields for purifying oils from particles under 1 micron. They are spectacular. You will see the ad in MAchinery lubrication.

We tried them and the amount of particles they filter is amazing, Hydraulic pumps, valves, and seals live much longer. No other filter media could separate so much dirt as those simple magnetic rods. We are implementing them wherever we can. Try them, www.oneeyeindustries.com
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Satyender Bidesi:

Dear Satyender Bidesi,
The hydraulic oil reservoir (oiltank) is in general very often used as a "trash can". It is not common pracise to use suction filters anymore and not using suction filter demands that you have control over contamination levels within the hydraulic oil. There is offline filtration systems on the market that is capable of dealing with your problem. It is essential to keep the hydraulics as clean as possible. Start with the cheap things like looking into your logistics. Take a look to your hydraulic oil- transport, storage, refill and use. Protect the oil reservoir (with oil content) from airbore pollutants, particles, water ingress/moist by using an efficient reservoir breather. There are many proucers of such equipment. When it comes to filtration charts for offline filtration I would advice you to choose a filter that have great combination abilities and removes particles, varnish, and water in one operation. Be especially aware of soft contaminant removal it is most lighly sticky grease that clogg our suctionfilter (Cavitation possibility), insulate oil coolers, tank and heats system even more up, giving thinner hydraulic oil less lubrication & higher oxidation rate of the fluid itself. There is 0.1 and 0.5 micron filters in the market that is efficient towards operational trouble/efforts. It is at least an 80 % chance that the breakdown reason is found within the lubricant. Hope this helps:-)

Hans
Link copied to your clipboard.