Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

I understand that ZDDP, probably the most cost effective motor oil additive ever developed, is being eliminated from most oil additive packages because of concerns that it "might" poison catalytic converters.

I've always been sceptical of over the counter oil "enhancers". I would consider adding a good cheap ZDDP supplement to my oil. Can anyone on the board offer advise on a good cheap ZDDP additive?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you go with STP use the red 4 cylinder stuff. About 1800 ppm zinc and phos. It's a lot thinner than the other. I rather would recommend Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment, 15 oz, which has about 1700 ppm z and p and moly boron and other goodies. Very nice stuff.

Big lots was selling CD2 High Perf Oil Boost which has about 4800 ppm z and p. Also CD2 75K oil add which has about 4000 ppm z and p. There are others if youwant to test them, including some stuff in round quart size by stp and fram.

GM EOS is around 8000 ppm z and p.

Modern oil about 800 ppm z and p. SL was around 1000 ppm. SH IIRC around 1200 ppm.

Citgo Ultralife is 1150 z and 1050 p per phone call to them last year. Or go dual rated diesel/gas oil (SL/CF) which typically has more zddp.
Dad2leia I bought a 2000 Camry XLE V6 with 192,000 ks in December of 2006. It has been very well maintained, runs great and I want to keep it running great for a few more years.

I'm a little annoyed that ZDDP is being phased out because it "might" poison catalytic converters. I've always liked good and cheap. Like most car nuts I've been tempted by the fancy marketing of oil enhancements products.
However I realize that, as Micbial stated in his post on May 8th, "If you're using a high quality oil then you shouldn't have to add anything to it."

I usually use Mobil 1, because I believe it is a good synthetic and because you can usually pick it up for $5.00 or $6.00 dollars a litre during promotions where I live in Southern Ontario.

Despite realizing that changing your oil regularily with a good oil is the logical way to go I am tempted to run down to Canadian tire and see if they have any Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment. I will resist that urge.
E agree with the post of TallPaul from 5-10-07. I drive a 1979 Dodge pickup w/ a 225 slant six. Older engines, with heavier valve trains and higher spring pressures definately benefit from use of a zddp additive! Check out the specs. on 15-40 oils and perhaps Castrol 20-50 and add a bottle of STP red (4 cyl.)at oil change. You older vehicle will love it.
Bob K., so far nothing about the newer oils, but they did lower the zinc in those as well, so I guess only time and a rise in problems will tell.

The only thing with the fuel that I've heard is that it can clog fuel filters pretty fast if run on a truck that has seen only petroleum diesel for most of its life.

I do try to look for oils that have more zinc in them, so I don't exactly go for the BOGO special, or orthodox oils either, but well constructed ones.
try this additives and your oil click on one of the underlined lines.
quote:
Originally posted by hrandy:
I understand that ZDDP, probably the most cost effective motor oil additive ever developed, is being eliminated from most oil additive packages because of concerns that it "might" poison catalytic converters.

I've always been sceptical of over the counter oil "enhancers". I would consider adding a good cheap ZDDP supplement to my oil. Can anyone on the board offer advise on a good cheap ZDDP additive?
quote:
Originally posted by hrandy:

There's a few places selling ZDDP as a supplement these days I'm sure more will spring up. One I found was this place
http://www.nitemareperformance.150m.com/ZDDP.html
Link copied to your clipboard.