Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

quote:
It seems so. Not to get into a pissing contest, the event in the Gulf is a tragic disaster. IIRC Exxon did a number in Alaska, with a drunken Super Tanker Captain in charge. I bet Amsoil does lots of business with XOM, so lets not throw stones in glass houses.

AD

AD, Good Point, of course Exxon did not own Mobil at the time, but accidents do happen and when they do that should not mean that we stop buying oil from the company that caused the accident.

Exxon stayed in business, so that should tell us something.

Tim only brought up the BP thing becuase that is all that he could think of, he will say anything to sell Amsoil, his Sales Pitch is so pathetic that he now has to bring up an unfortunate disaster in order to push his agenda, real low, we will see how much lower this Amsoil Salesman will go.
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:
quote:
It seems so. Not to get into a pissing contest, the event in the Gulf is a tragic disaster. IIRC Exxon did a number in Alaska, with a drunken Super Tanker Captain in charge. I bet Amsoil does lots of business with XOM, so lets not throw stones in glass houses.

AD

AD, Good Point, of course Exxon did not own Mobil at the time, but accidents do happen and when they do that should not mean that we stop buying oil from the company that caused the accident.

Exxon stayed in business, so that should tell us something.

Tim only brought up the BP thing becuase that is all that he could think of, he will say anything to sell Amsoil, his Sales Pitch is so pathetic that he now has to bring up an unfortunate disaster in order to push his agenda, real low, we will see how much lower this Amsoil Salesman will go.

If he is smart, he won't go down that road. Anyway, I'm off to buy some BP gas. $2.87 for 93 octane when Shell is $3.09 is a damn good deal.

If any troll has a problem with it, Americans work at that gas station.

To paraphrase a commercial, "Think with your wallet, Jimmy!!"
quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:
quote:
6 7 8 9 10
Please Wait. Your request is being processed...
Logout: forums.noria.com
Update LiveCloud Account Reply

I really hope no one goes down that road, but the cheap shot sort of got me. A lot of us think with our wallets, especially in lousy times like these.

AD

His cheap shot got to me as well. Uncalled for, and waaay beyond the scope of the thread.

Desperate people do desperate things.
quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:
quote:
quote:
6 7 8 9 10
Please Wait. Your request is being processed...
Logout: forums.noria.com
Update LiveCloud Account Reply

I really hope no one goes down that road, but the cheap shot sort of got me. A lot of us think with our wallets, especially in lousy times like these.

AD

His cheap shot got to me as well. Uncalled for, and waaay beyond the scope of the thread.

Desperate people do desperate things.

Yep!

I'm starting to like Edge, nice info Big Bear. Better cold pumping and taking less time to get to operating temps is a good thing.

AD
Amsoil, Inc. is a corporation based in Superior, Wisconsin that manufactures synthetic lubricants and filters. They were the first to manufacture a full synthetic motor oil, transmission fluid, and differential gear lube for automobiles. Due to this, their slogan is "The First in Synthetics."

History

Amsoil, Inc. was founded by Col. Al Amatuzio (USAF Retired) in 1972. Prior to founding Amsoil, Amatuzio was a fighter pilot, line maintenance officer, and squadron commander during the Cold War era. Having to use synthetic lubricants in the jet engines he maintained, he became aware of the significant benefits of using synthetic instead of petroleum-based oil.
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Kirk:
quote:
quote:

Miro, how can we find out the dirty truth about Big Al.

Is there anything else you can tell us.

You really want to rely on *this* guy for information?

He was right about your(trajan) short lived PEP job!

Oh? Right about a non-exsistent job? Can you prove that?
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He was right about your(trajan) short lived PEP job!

Oh? Right about a non-exsistent job? Can you prove that?

1.TRAJAN............YOU HAVE FAILED TO DISPROVE IT NOW GOING ON SEVERAL MONTHS,SO IT MUST BE TRUE.

2.YOU NEVER HAVE STATED YOUR PROFESSION ON THAT NOTE,SO IT MUST BE TRUE.

3.YOU HAVE WAAAAAYYYY TOO MUCH FREE TIME,SO IT MUST BE TRUE.

4.YOU HATE SYNLUBE BECAUSE IT BROUGHT YOU DOWN WITH YOUR CAREER...WAY DOWN....SO IT ABSOLUTELY MUST BE TRUE!!

FOUR STRIKES...............AND YOU'RE OOOOUUUUUTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by captainkirk
Not my place to prove what doesn't exsist. Well, I did prove that your buddy inhaliburton is an out and out liar. But that was child's play.

Also showed that your idol's so called operation in Mercury NV isn't there.

By your logic, even though we all know it, the accusations made on a certain website that your idol is a liar and a scam artist ia true. None of you have proved otherwise.

If it makes you feel better to think I ever worked for Shell, do so with my blessing. Not really my place to deprive you of your delusions.

It's one thing to prove that a deliberate lie by your cohort did not exsist. See the thread does not, and never did, exsist.

I don't have to prove I never worked for Shell, You know what they say about proving a negative. And what's more, I don't have to.

Perhaps, whenever you manage to pull your lips off ypur idol's crack, you'll ask Spock about the logic of accepting lies that you can't possibly prove are not.

Let's see the proof. Not insinuations or that other nonsense you lap up because they're spoken by a scammer. But real, verifiable, unvarnished, proof.

Since it doesn't exsist, because it never happenned, you have your work cut out for you.

I suppose, also following your logic, that since he never denied it, he really did murder his parents.

Good job. You're a groupie to a double murderer.
quote:
Not my place to prove what doesn't exsist. Well, I did prove that your buddy inhaliburton is an out and out liar. But that was child's play.

Also showed that your idol's so called operation in Mercury NV isn't there.

By your logic, even though we all know it, the accusations made on a certain website that your idol is a liar and a scam artist ia true. None of you have proved otherwise.

If it makes you feel better to think I ever worked for Shell, do so with my blessing. Not really my place to deprive you of your delusions.

It's one thing to prove that a deliberate lie by your cohort did not exsist. See the thread does not, and never did, exsist.

I don't have to prove I never worked for Shell, You know what they say about proving a negative. And what's more, I don't have to.

Perhaps, whenever you manage to pull your lips off ypur idol's crack, you'll ask Spock about the logic of accepting lies that you can't possibly prove are not.

Let's see the proof. Not insinuations or that other nonsense you lap up because they're spoken by a scammer. But real, verifiable, unvarnished, proof.

Since it doesn't exsist, because it never happenned, you have your work cut out for you.

I suppose, also following your logic, that since he never denied it, he really did murder his parents.

Good job. You're a groupie to a double murderer.

--------------------------------------------

TRAJAN..............YOU'RE RAMBLING AND INCOHERENT,AGAIN!!! NOW YOU'VE CROSSED THE LINE WITH THE GROUPIE REMARK!!!!!!!

Seems to be like pulling a lever,or pushing a button when I mention the "PEP" incident.

Almost everyone on this forum has stated their chosen profession........EXCEPT YOU..........THE EX PEP SALESMAN WHO JUST COMMITTED AN ACT OF MORAL TURPITUDE......AGAIN!!!!!!!!

The only liar.......is you Trajan,not inHaliburton. You have now gone below just Lying at this point...... WAY,WAY BELOW!!!!
Last edited by captainkirk
quote:
quote:

He's got more on the ball than you will ever have, Trajan. You're the master of the cheap shot. The sign of a bitter man.

By the way, where's that car that your neighbour owns that sludged up from using Synlube?

See what I mean? Trajan the liar.

Well, boy?
"We receive about 20 miscellaneous vehicle warranty claims per year," reported Albert’s son, Alan Amatuzio, executive vice president and chief operating officer. "We investigate each one comprehensively, examine maintenance records, mileage, type of service and repair invoices. We conduct phone interviews and hire independent expert investigators and engineers to review failed parts and write an Investigative Findings Report documenting our results and send it to the claimant. "Only in rare instances when we cannot find an explanation for the problem, even though the lubricant is not to blame, do we accept a claim.

Guys, I found this on an Amsoil Dealers Site, it seems to me that anyone who submits a Warranty Claim to Amsoil is going to get an in depth investigation, it does not sound like Amsoil is going to just hand you the money right away to get your engine fixed.

1) Investigate each one COMPREHENSIVELY
2) Examine Maintenance Records
3) Mileage
4) Type of Service
5) Repairs
6) Phone Interviews
7) Hire Independent expert investigators and engineers to review failed parts and write an Investigative Findings Report DOCUMENTING our results and send it to the claimant.

These words are from the owner's son who is an executive vice president and chief operating officer.

Tim, our Amsoil Pusher on here said a Warranty Claim would be cleared up very quickly, from what Alan Amatuzio has said it just does not seem like what Tim is saying is really TRUTHFUL.
quote:

--------------------------------------------

TRAJAN..............YOU'RE RAMBLING AND INCOHERENT,AGAIN!!! NOW YOU'VE CROSSED THE LINE WITH THE GROUPIE REMARK!!!!!!!

Seems to be like pulling a lever,or pushing a button when I mention the "PEP" incident.

Almost everyone on this forum has stated their chosen profession........EXCEPT YOU..........THE EX PEP SALESMAN WHO JUST COMMITTED AN ACT OF MORAL TURPITUDE......AGAIN!!!!!!!!

The only liar.......is you Trajan,not inHaliburton. You have now gone below just Lying at this point...... WAY,WAY BELOW!!!!

Capt. Kirk, Trajan's a bitter person. Can't blame him, though. The Shell/PEP thing did him in. His wiser-than-him wife took off when she found out he's a crooked thief and a loser. Let him wallow in his hatred for Miro, Synlube, you and me. If he hasn't already, he'll have ulcers. Smile

He calls me a liar. Tell me Trajan, when did I tell a lie?

Talking abour liars, where's that engine belonging to a neighbour down the street with the sludged motor from using Synlube? Can you show us a pic?

I think we all know who the liar is, don't we, Trajan?

Well, boy?
I'm starting to like Edge, nice info Big Bear. Better cold pumping and taking less time to get to operating temps is a good thing.

AD

US Navy. Helping keep us safe.

AD, I am running Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 in my car during the warm weather, but I plan on running Castrol Edge 0W-20 from October until late April since that is when I see the coldest temps in my area. I usually drive the car about 10 to 20 miles and then shut it off for a certain number of hours and then drive back home. My type of driving is not best for an oil like Amsoil, nor is my driving style good for extended drains with Amsoil.

If I lived near the Interstate and drove 50 miles up the Highway and my work was a mile or so off the interstate, and then I drove 50 miles back home, this would be 100 miles each day, so 500 miles a week times 50 weeks and I would have about 25,000 miles a year, so Amsoil would be great in this situation, I am thinking very few people drive there cars like this.

I have heard that about 85% of your wear is during startup or until your engine gets up to operating temps, so if that is the case, and especially during cold weather I want a thinner oil, in the late spring and summer I am not as concerned about the starting temp of the oil because it is probably at a starting temp like 70 degrees or so and it will flow very well.
To me the Edge just makes more sense. It pumps better in a 0w20 than just about any oil I've seen, the 40*C numbers are the best I've seen as well. Since I only drive about 100 miles a week now, I feel it will protect better for my short hopp'in than any 20 grade oil there is. If I thought something was better I'd use it.

If I were driving under the conditions your talking about it would still be a good deal. It pumps better when cold, and gets to its desired viscosity faster, win win in my book.

Hey Bear, did you check out big Al on that link? I can't do it from here for some reason.

AD
How to Submit Requests:

* Send by mail
* Send by fax

Today we must continue to receive requests, dated and with a handwritten signature, either by mail or by fax only. This is because Federal law [5 USC 552a(b)] requires that all requests for records and information be submitted in writing. Each request must be signed and dated.

You may submit more than one request per envelope or fax, but please submit a separate request (either SF 180 or letter) for each individual whose records are being requested.

* Send by Mail

Our mailing address is:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

* Send by Fax

Our fax number for requesting military records is 314-801-9195.
The Center will respond in writing by U.S. Mail.

Order Processing Time

Response times for records requested from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) vary greatly depending on the nature of the request. For example, the NPRC Military Records Facility currently has a pending workload of 85,000 requests and is receiving approximately 4,900 requests per day. We are responding to requests for replacement copies of separation documents only within 10 days about 90% of the time. However, for requests involving other types of information or documents, we currently are working on requests received in December 2009. Additionally, requests that involve reconstruction efforts due to the 1973 fire or older records which require extensive search efforts may take six months or more to complete. Overall we are responding to 63% of all requests received within 10 days. Our average response time for all case types is approximately 4.5 weeks.

AD, it looks like this could be a long process, I will see if there is a better way to find out the info.
quote:
They can, and do, require whatever oil you use to meet said specs for warranty coverage.

No. They don't. If you're using the spec'd fluids under the prescribed intervals, the manufacture has no recourse in a lubrication related failure.

If a lubrication related failure occurs, whether spec'd fluids are use or not, the lubricant has to be the reason for the failure to deny warranty.

I'm sure you can see the difference between what I stated and what you did.
Sounds like you might be an Amsoil dealer. What happens in the case where lets say Ford calls for 5W20 oil, no other choice. Amsoil site says 0W30 SSO is GTG in the app. Oil failure occurs, Ford says 0W30 is NG. Amsoil says it was, and then goes thru their "process" to avoid a pay out. Is it worth the hassle?

Please lets not hear it never happened in 38 years, or the MM act that's getting old. The flawed filters is proof the company is far from perfect, but then no oil company is.

Please note I'm looking for an answer, not trying to fire Tim up and start another 50 page Amsoil sales pitch thread. You seem to have a level head in your replies.

Thanks
AD
quote:
Sounds like you might be an Amsoil dealer. What happens in the case where lets say Ford calls for 5W20 oil, no other choice. Amsoil site says 0W30 SSO is GTG in the app. Oil failure occurs, Ford says 0W30 is NG. Amsoil says it was, and then goes thru their "process" to avoid a pay out. Is it worth the hassle?

Thanks
AD

Ford still has to prove that the lube was responsible for the failure. It would be the same with Ford saying 10k miles is NG. Ford themselves spec's all kinds of viscosity fluids for the same engines worldwide and even dealers don't adhere to all of Ford's recommendations for 5w-20 oil.
quote:
Originally posted by BKL98MK8LSC:
After ford denied your warranty claim,did amsoil pick up the bill javier?

I didn't read the thread, but I'd figure if it was Amsoil, they'd be looking long and hard for a way out. JMO

Moral of the story, use the recommended oil, for the suggested interval, and live happily ever after.

AD
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BKL98MK8LSC:

I didn't read the thread, but I'd figure if it was Amsoil, they'd be looking long and hard for a way out. JMO

Moral of the story, use the recommended oil, for the suggested interval, and live happily ever after.

AD

I read the whole thread and that was the moral of the story. Interesting that this guy would never admit that he was using amsoil. A few posters on the other thread guessed it and he just admitted it here. The navistar diesels that ford has been using are like A curse. No sense at all using the wrong product AND not changing the oil in a defective engine.
FRom Here:
6.0 PowerStroke bulletins
6.0 Oil Recommendations:
Some trucks with the 6.0 may exhibit hard starting, rough running and lack of power in cold temperatures, particularly on a cold start. This may be due to the oil being to thick for the operating conditions. Ford is recommending to use the following oils for the listed operating temperature.

SAE 15W-40 is the preferred oil above 30 degrees, but it is acceptable for use down to 10 degrees, and is recommended for towing down to this temperature.
SAE 10W-30 is the preferred weight between -10 to 30 degrees.
SAE 5W-30 and 5W-40 is acceptable for use below 30 degrees, and 0W-30 is acceptable below zero.
(All temperatures are in Fahrenheit.)
The oil used should meet Ford's specification of WSS-M2C171-D or API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4/SL or DHD-1. CH-4 is acceptable for use if CI-4 PLUS is not available. TSB #05-16-6.
Keep in mind that CI-4 oil is designed for the increased soot contamination and higher coolant temperatures of cooled EGR systems on a diesel; CH-4 is not.
Nowhere does the TSB mention synthetic versus conventional oil recomendations or ranges.
Ford has not released anything recommending NOT to use a specific brand of oil.
30 weight is pretty thin for Florida.
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BKL98MK8LSC:

Ad said.....

------------------------------------------------------
Well Ad,you should have read the thread before you posted. Amsoil,nor any lube company wouldn't need to "look long and hard" as you say for a way out............the coolant leak says it all.

The massive coolant leak into the oil is the issue,not the oil. The MFG is the one always looking for a way out,in this case ford.
quote:
One of those few times we agree Kirk. In this case the coolant leak is pretty obvious. Take away the coolant leak and the oil company would be looking long and hard for a way out.

AD

Impossible for the oil company to look long and hard if you follow their directions.

If you change the oil using the 'severe service' category,what could they find.

If the engine has issues....thus far historically..........

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN ENGINE ISSUES UNRELATED TO THE SYNTHETIC OIL USED,IN THIS CASE...AMSOIL VS FORD.

Even when cheap oil was used that actually was causing sludge build up across almost all makes and models,the mfg's were the ones who got sued/blamed,when it should have been the oil companies that got sued(big oil in this case).

No one ever really gets that except me?

Motorists were basically running garbage for lube,unless they were using 100% synthetic PAO,or something very close.

That is the reason for GM creating a dexos standard,and also the European oil standards that practically mock the API standards.
We almost agree again. I've always followed SS recommendations. Being born and raised in NY everything we owned fell into SS categories. Just ride on the LIE, GCP, or Southern State on a beach day during rush hour and you'll see why. Forget the commute into NYC. The odds of us having an oil related engine failure are slim to none.

My comments are hypothetical, but could become reality. IMO any oil company will look for an out, Amsoil is no exception, and has one other strike against it, the API starburst for their high end products.

My father taught me to follow recommendations, use what the mfg, "suggests", it will keep me out of trouble. Why hassle the MM act? The only one who benefits from that is a lawyer. Risk to reward ratio tells me to follow recommendations. Now if I was making a living selling Amsoil, I'd have a different view. I don't sell it and won't sell it.

BTW the tone of this recent discussion is refreshing!

AD
Thanks for the reply. The truck I serviced was not mine. We used the AMSOIL 5W30 HDD oil and this was a full year before AMSOIL TSB all the DPF engines. At the time of failure there was no recommendation for the 6.4 oil change interval. Like there is now.
I do not own the truck, I told the oner to collect UOA but he did not, the truck failed,he called me after the truck was at the dealer, so I had not to work with when I heard what happened.
I did collect a UOA at the dealer and did find coolant in the oil with caused the jelly sludge with made the turbo fail.
those are the facts, the oil analysis came out good excpt for the coolant contamination.
the Ford mechanics told me NO WAY! coolant will ake the oil milky! I just laughed at them told them keep working...

Javier
quote:
More proof of 5w-20 being too thin... In the rest of the world,that same engine would never see 5w-20,only in America.....CAFE standards are to blame.

Interesting, then the oil would be at fault if it was mfg spec'd and too thin assuming it was changed as per the OM.

Question if that was in fact the case [what I mentioned above] what would happen?

AD
quote:
quote:
More proof of 5w-20 being too thin... In the rest of the world,that same engine would never see 5w-20,only in America.....CAFE standards are to blame.

Interesting, then the oil would be at fault if it was mfg spec'd and too thin assuming it was changed as per the OM.

Question if that was in fact the case [what I mentioned above] what would happen?

AD

If a motorist is using basic mineral oil//5w-20,like above....I will say.....change it every 3k,at the dealer with a coupon,and save the receipts.........because you might just need them using cheap bulk oil.

The above repair was 10k,of which Kathy paid as far as we know....2k.
Link copied to your clipboard.