Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

I am thinking about switching to this oil and need some information about it. I have a 1987 Mercury 9.9 hp motor with 3 gallon tank. People have been telling me its good and some it could hurt my motor. Do the ratios matter for mixing oil on older motors? Will anything happen if I switch to it?

On another forum a guy gave me this information:

Ams Saber - recommended for tc w3 and api-tc

API-TC is designed for air-cooled HO, high rpm motors... and your local dealer recommended it? I wouldn't go there for repairs...

Here is a quote from an excellent article on marine use 2C oils:"It is important to note that oil designed to meet TCW3 specs. only (Ashless) will not protect an engine requiring API-TC (Low Ash) type oil. The converse is also true. Using a Low Ash oil in an engine designed for an Ashless type oil only could result in fouled plugs and gummy combustion chambers. " Gummy combustion chambers mean stuck rings. Stuck rings mean rebuilt powerheads. Maybe he needs more engines in his shop for work.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Have you seen this chart? There are 2 versions of the Sabre 2-cycle.

The new Amsoil 2 cycles oil are designed for today newer engines and thus may not be the best of a 18 yrs old motor that has had a steady diet of petroleum oil for all these years. I guess all you can do is try it and see how it works.

There are a lot of "experts in their own minds" out there and I doubt anyone can tell you for a fact one way or the other.

There are a lot of "experts" who will tell you to never use anything Amsoil has and for the only reason it that they have some personal axe to grind. I recal bask in 1973 when the came out with a 100-1 pre-mix, everyone I know here locallly warned me our equipment would fail using it but none ever did.

Last edited by miker
Most products are designed for todays engines will little regard for the older models. So, if you are concerned, better stay with what you always used. I am sure even that if your engine is near the end of its life expectancy (not saying it is), you will certainly blame the oil if and/or when it should break down.

True story
A retired guy (me too) who lives 3 doors down likes to go out with his boat and fish on the lake we live on. Quite a few years ago (10?) he was telling me he was going to sell his boat because the 2-cycle oil smoke was making him sick when trolling. Use to be able to take it but since his by-pass surgery, it had him concerned. I gave him a bottle of Amsoil 100-1 2 cycle that I had laying around to try (we used in our chain saws and other equipment on my survey crew). He was game to try anything in his old motors (must be a 70's or 80's vintage). Well, a week or so later he comes over and asks where he can get more of that oil. He said, no more smoke and he did not get a spilting headache and throw-up the last 5 times he was out using that oil. Still fishing and using the amsoil 2 cycle oil.
Last edited by miker
Link copied to your clipboard.