Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is a true synthetic, it just doesn't have as robust additive package as the "full blown" Amsoil products. They made this oil to be able to sell to the quick lube market. It costs almost as much as the regular Amsoil, so unless you just have to have the API star, or you like the letters X and L together, I would get the "full blown" version.
The XL7500 line is the only Gr. III oils Amsoil has. It indeed is designed for the quick lube market and for those who demand an API certified oil. All their Gr. IV 100% synthetic oil says 100% on the container but due to Amsoil proprietary formulations, they cannot be API certified. In other words, Amsoil would have to down grade their Gr. IV oil to pass API primarily due to the amount of phosphorus they use for extended drains. API limits the level of phosphorus that can be used, supposedly at the request of auto markers who fear catalytic converter problems if the car uses oil.
I'm not comfortable with saying that AMSOIL would have to downgrade their formulations to meet API.

A. Phosphorus is not the only way to built a strong additive package, though it happens to be a relatively cheap way.

B. Last I checked VOA's of ASL and ATM Amsoil showed under 1000ppm phosphorus anyway, so they'd be under the API cap.
AMSOIL INC. has determined that the reduced wear and extended drain intervals achievable with phosphorous levels higher than the API limit of .10% are real benefits for the consumer, and pose no risk to catalytic converters. AMSOIL motor oils, except for the API licensed XL-7500 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40 and 15W-40 PCO viscosity grades, all have greater than .10% phosphorous levels, and therefore, cannot be API licensed.
quote:
Originally posted by Abus:
I'm not comfortable with saying that AMSOIL would have to downgrade their formulations to meet API.

A. Phosphorus is not the only way to built a strong additive package, though it happens to be a relatively cheap way.

B. Last I checked VOA's of ASL and ATM Amsoil showed under 1000ppm phosphorus anyway, so they'd be under the API cap.

I beleive you are correct on " B " and for " A " one has to look no farther than the new Mobil Clean 7500 for proof . They are calling this oil a blend but in my opinion it's as much of a synthetic as Amsoils 7500 , Valvolines and other brands non pao/ester oils at a much lower cost . $2.18 per quart currently .
Just wanted to say thanks. When presented with the XL option at the local auto supply store, I Googled it on the cellphone, read this thread and spent 20% more for 3X oil change interval. The only other choice in stock at 5W was the "Euro" 100% Syn formula rating 5W-40 - hope it's the same interval as the usual Amsoil 100% 5W-30.

"If it don't say 100% on the bottle, it ain't 100% in the bottle".
quote:
Originally posted by Abus:
Umm, it is 85%-95% Group III, per Amsoil's MSDS sheet:

http://www.north-american-lubr...f_file/xl_series.pdf

"Hydrogenated Base Mixture, CAS# 64742547, 85-95%"

So, the 7500 oils are more or less equivalent to Castrol (North American) Syntec, Rotella T Syn, etc.

your linky linky no worky worky

quote:
Page Not Found
We cannot locate the page you're looking for. Please check the address and make sure all letters are lowercased with no spaces. You may also move to a different page by using the links in the menu bar above.

Javier
The XL7500 is now an obsolete product. It has been replaced and improved with a 10,000 normal and severe service mile Extended Life Synthetic Group III API Certified SN and Resource Conserving, ILSAC GF-5 and GM Dexos 1 oil for the same wholesale price of $5.06 per quart per case of 12, or $4.96 a quart in a case of 4 one gallon bottles. More info at http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlf.aspx?zo=1181889 .
Last edited by timvipond
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Vipond:
The XL7500 is now an obsolete product. It has been replaced and improved with a 10,000 normal and severe service mile Extended Life Synthetic Group III API Certified SN and Resource Conserving, ILSAC GF-5 and GM Dexos 1 oil for the same wholesale price of $5.06 per quart per case of 12, or $4.96 a quart in a case of 4 one gallon bottles. More info at http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlf.aspx?zo=1181889 .

Pretty soon Amsoil Motor Oil will be obsolete just like there XL 7500 Line, there oil's are old school.

Everyone else in the industry has caught up and even surpassed Amsoil, and I know since I have gotten better results with Pennzoil Platinum versus Amsoil XL or any of there other oil's I have used.
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:
quote:

Pretty soon Amsoil Motor Oil will be obsolete just like there XL 7500 Line, there oil's are old school.

Everyone else in the industry has caught up and even surpassed Amsoil, and I know since I have gotten better results with Pennzoil Platinum versus Amsoil XL or any of there other oil's I have used.

AMSOIL continues to dominate the extended mileage synthetic oil industry and the others continue to follow.

AMSOIL sales are increasing at record levels.

AMSOIL is one of the few oils on the market that are Certified for API SN, Resource Conserving, GF5 and meets Dexos 1. The others will soon follow. Some day.
quote:
quote:
quote:

AMSOIL continues to dominate the extended mileage synthetic oil industry and the others continue to follow.

AMSOIL is one of the few oils on the market that are Certified for API SN, Resource Conserving, GF5 and meets Dexos 1. The others will soon follow. Some day.

Everything you say sounds like a sales pitch, no surprise, since you sell Amsoil, you will say anything to push this overpriced and under performing motor oil.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Everything you say sounds like a sales pitch, no surprise, since you sell Amsoil, you will say anything to push this overpriced and under performing motor oil.
Everything I've said is the truth. I do sell hundreds of thousands of dollars of AMSOIL to hundreds of satisfied customers at wholesale who feel it is not overpriced nor underperforming (As does API), as do millions of other AMSOIL customers over the past 38 years. I am also a retired Shell Oil chemist who has evaluated other oils.
Last edited by timvipond
XL is a fine oil for 7500 changes. The public may be more receptive to the OE as it is cheaper, and geared for OLM/6000 OCI's that are becoming the norm. TBN is a little weak for my taste, but may try it for my daughter's vehicle. Both are API SN certified and meet Dexos 1 specs.

Amsoil is working to gain Quick Lube or "Do It For Me" markets. The OE should be on par cost wise as Pennzoil Platinum or QSUD in the quick lube market.

Dave
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Everything I've said is the truth. I do sell hundreds of thousands of dollars of AMSOIL to hundreds of satisfied customers at wholesale who feel it is not overpriced nor underperforming (As does API), as do millions of other AMSOIL customers over the past 38 years. I am also a retired Shell Oil chemist who has evaluated other oils.

Tim, maybe it might be a good idea if we could hear from your so called satisfied customers instead of from some salesperson who will say anything to push Amsoil, I am not buying anything you have said.
quote:

Tim, maybe it might be a good idea if we could hear from your so called satisfied customers instead of from some salesperson who will say anything to push Amsoil, I am not buying anything you have said.
Sure. Ask any of the thousands of Texas State Troopers that have run AMSOIL for 20,000 severe mile oil and filter changes in thousands of patrol cars over the past 10 years.

Or ask Haywood Gray: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1343.pdf

Or John Small with Sears: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1009.pdf

Or Brian Johnson with Nordic Waste: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2695.pdf

Or Jason Wick: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2244.pdf

And of course, JD Green in post #5 above.
Last edited by timvipond
Link copied to your clipboard.