Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Good day,

Please your help
I just noticed from the the API Motor oil guide that categories CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4 are recommended where the older versions are required including the former API CE and CD; however they don´t list the API CF.

The description of API CF is "For off-road, indirect-injected and other diesel engines including those using fuel with over 0,5% weight sulfur".

What is the reason that API CI4, CH4, CF4 don't include API CF . What could happen if API CI-4, CH-4, CF-4 are used in engines requiring API CF, considering that sulfur content is < 0,5%

Thanks in advance
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well it can be said for practically every classic from before '65, at least for European brands...

I'm not saying that the retrospectivity of API must be doubted, but possible reaction with materials in seals and gaskets is often forgotten in these cases, so therefor it's advisable to be extra careful when using a brand new (high API) oil in a old (low API) engine. This risk can vary per company as each has it's own phylosophy (thus base oils + additive packages) to meet the API approval.
I use CI4 Delo 400 or Delvac MX in two engines which are quite old in design. One being the MB OM616 IDI turbo and other being the HINO W04D DI, the HINO has crossed 178000 miles and the OM616 has crossed 110,000 miles exclusively on Delvac or Delo since day one of ownership and I have not had a single issue of leaking seals or glazing. My engine internals are pristinely clean and my cams hardly show any wear. I have no oil consumption issues whatsoever at all.
What if I use API CF rated oil like say Mobil 1 5W-50 in my Engine that requires minimum of API CH-4

I understand that Mobil 1 5W-50 is fully synthetic and provides outstanding protection.So will this oil work in my case ?
Some of my friends have gone ahead and started using Mobil 1 5W-50 instead of a 15W-40/API-CH4 Dino and they claim engine runs very smooth & all.
Till date I have stuck to good old Delo-400/Delvac MX since my Vehicle needs minimum API-CH4

Thanks,
rb2399
quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:
Use what the mfg recommends and move on. No muss. fuss, or worries.

My owners manual 'recommends' 5w-20 mineral oil,synthetic is an option.

Do I go by the "recommend"???....no.....never do.......I am running 100% synthetic 5w-50.

Trajen..does your BMW MFG recommend to put tcw3 wally world two stroke oil in the fuel tank of your car at fill up.... you claim to use.

Not everyone who knows what they are doing and does all the research... follows the owners manual exactly in every detail. It's only a guide for the lay person.

Kirk
Can't you *ever* stay on topic?

Explain what a fuel additive has to do with the topic.

You want to use unrated, unknown oil that meets no recognized standard in the industry, that's your problem. Shouldn't expect others to follow you.

Shows the results of not only running the wrong oil, but running it too long.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...umber=1504155&page=1

(Kirk tried the "It's the oil's fault" for the problems. Or rather he tried that here in a different thread.)
Last edited by trajan
quote:

Trajan........you were the one who said follow the owners manual.........no fuss,muss, remember. Is two stroke oil recommended in your BMW owners manual....just wondering, since you did say to follow the manual.

Also,you always move off topic,look at all the other threads where you move off topic,I was just following your lead this time.
quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:
Can't you *ever* stay on topic?

Shows the results of not only running the wrong oil, but running it too long.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...umber=1504155&page=1

<<<<<In the post it was indicated the engine has a coolant leak somewhere......Trajan's selective memory loss forgot to mention that.>>>>

(Kirk tried the "It's the oil's fault" for the problems. Or rather he tried that here in a different thread.)

AT the end of the bob thread above, this was the opinion of this poster trajan is talking about regarding diesel lube.

addyguy Offline

Loc: Canada
This guys a troll. I give up.

Bottom line............the whole thread over there is a bogus/troll trajan.........or at the very least it was not the oil........it was coolant leaking into the oil. The troll is more likely.
Last edited by captainkirk
This thread was moving along nicely, it was informative for the OP, but Kirk once again showed up, changed the direction and more importantly the genial tone of the original topic and responses, he also conveniently added his advertising blurb.

No topic is safe from his mis-direction and trolling...Mods when is enough enough already? Please pull out the big BAN hammer on him, and let everyone post in peace to the original topics. Kirk/inhaliburton/the others, are an embarrasment to this forum, and its posters. Without them here their is a genial and professional tone, with them present, it is mis-direction, attacks and advertisement. These posters/poster have no original thought, as what they post is 'copy and pasted', and passed off as original thought...These people/person PLAGARIZE others thought and work, and try to pass it off as their own...They add nothing except drama...They have been given chances to get along, now it's time for them to go and bother other sites...Their track record of multiple bans from other sites, speak volumes as to their character, or lack their of.
Last edited by nucleardawg
quote:
Originally posted by rb2399:
What if I use API CF rated oil like say Mobil 1 5W-50 in my Engine that requires minimum of API CH-4

I understand that Mobil 1 5W-50 is fully synthetic and provides outstanding protection.So will this oil work in my case ?
Some of my friends have gone ahead and started using Mobil 1 5W-50 instead of a 15W-40/API-CH4 Dino and they claim engine runs very smooth & all.
Till date I have stuck to good old Delo-400/Delvac MX since my Vehicle needs minimum API-CH4

Thanks,
rb2399

RB, You will be fine using Delo, Delvac, or Rotella. All are great Diesel Spec oils.

Dave
quote:
Originally posted by Deltona_Dave:
quote:
Originally posted by rb2399:

Thanks,
rb2399

RB, You will be fine using Delo, Delvac, or Rotella. All are great Diesel Spec oils.

Dave

Dave and rb2399.......what is the climate where the oil will be run? Colder climates would call for the 5w-- oils. Easier on the engine and greatly reduces dry start engine damage/wear.

What is the exact engine type?

I believe your friends are on to something using the 5w-50.....however a better choice if you are going to use the Mobil products would be..........DELVAC 1 SYNTHETIC. 5w-40.

Delvac 1 is outstanding and the best oil mobil has to offer for diesel engines and some gas engines as well.

This is the mobil link

http://www.mobil.com/USA-Engli...l_Delvac_1_5W-40.asp
Link copied to your clipboard.