Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on Oil Analysis and Tribology

According to our problem in power plant, we have temperature of EH (Electro Hydraulic) oil increased which is use Turbofluid 46 XC Chemtura.
We already checked the cooler and another valve that should be open or closed for the operation and all are based on Standard operating Procedure. Before this problem we used Turbofluid 46 SJ, differences are kinematic viscosity about 38.17cSt for XC and 46cSt for SJ.
My question ;
1. Is the lower kinematic viscocity made the temperature of oil incresed? we used piston pump for the hydraulic pump.
2. Is the increasing temperature made kinematic viscocity getting lower?? because now on the viscocity is 35 cSt (40 deg C)

I hope i can get any information about this problem.

Thank You

Achmadi HBN
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

* When you start using Turbofluid 46 XC?
typical kinematic viscosity of this oil is about 43 cst @ 40 C

* is it for turbine governor? is there any excess steam which passing to governor area?
* or the increasing temperature, may be due to re-circulation mode? (I am assuming your governor is having dedicated hydraulic system [out of lubricating oil console])

For me the decrease of 5 cst will not affect to increase the temperature to 20 degree C
I am not yet using Triaril Phospate Lubricant. But the decrease of 5 cSt, with operating temp about 63 degree C only, is not common, unless there was contamination.

I think, something was changed in your system.
Instead of oil viscosity, how the conditon of the other oil analysis parameters?

regards.
Dear Mr Nurudin,

Yes, we used oil for turbine governer and we already checked that no steam leaks from environment.
The oil tank has 3 supply oil :
1. Oil Recirculation pump-cooler-tank (outlet temp 40 deg C.
2. Return from governer (temp 54 deg C)
3. Main Pump recirculation (temp 65 deg C)

We have used Turbo fluid 46 XC since March 2013, we change all of oil when Simple Inspection because the oil quality (Total Acid Number) has reach 0.7,(normal value is lower than 0.2). After we change oil with new oil, the problem of high temperature oil occurred. Besides of that, pump motor current up to 47 Ampere from the normal operation 25 ampere. We have 2 pump that have same motor current.
What do you mean about system changes?

Regards
Sorry, long time no reply

80% agree with rttech
but i dont think so that it is due to dust
even 20/17 is look like dirty

I think, something is block in the supply line, which resulting high oil flow back trough re-circulation line,... and increasing the oil tank temperature

Lingga, after main pump is there any by passed filter installed (before going to actuator)?
If yes, may be the by passed valve of the filter which usually shall open when the pressure reach to 5 barg, not open properly.
And resulting high pressure, which make some oil return back through re-circluation line.

have you did venting for all of the valve prior of start up?

is it already solve or still 63 degree C now?
Mr Nurudin,

Just now EH oil temperature decrease to 58 C ,but main pump motor current still 50 A, we start another recirculating pump to cooler, so now, both of pump A and B are operating, we hope oil flow to cooler increase. But the condition still abnormal I think. Discharge filter after main pump, before actuator doesn't have by pass valve, so we can't bypass it.
Yesterday, discharge pressure getting lower ; (before filter = 121 bar ,after filter 115 bar) make another pump interlock start, so until now we have both of hydraulic pump running. The oil analyze write that the particle content of EH oil reach 22/19 and the contaminant are from cutting wear, non metalic wear and fatigue wear.
We can't clean the filter because no bypass valve and both of pump are running.
DP = 6 bard ?

I am sorry, i am not getting the point: Cutting wear, non metalic wear and fatigue wear.
can you share the picture?

what about the ppm of Fe?
can you share the oil analysis result?

Have you inspect the oil filter element?
did you found something in the filter element?

sorry for late in reply,
what is update of the condition now?

Regards,
quote:
Originally posted by Lingga:
Yesterday, discharge pressure getting lower ; (before filter = 121 bar ,after filter 115 bar) make another pump interlock start, so until now we have both of hydraulic pump running. The oil analyze write that the particle content of EH oil reach 22/19 and the contaminant are from cutting wear, non metalic wear and fatigue wear.
We can't clean the filter because no bypass valve and both of pump are running.

Hi Lingga, as Nurudin asked; Is the abnormal running continuing??
You have painted a picture of the filter becoming blocked, if so you need to analysis the filter media, examples are on our website, www.rttech.com.au,
Once you know what is blocking the filter you will be able to root cause the difficulty,please let us know if you have solved as we would like to know what has caused this, regards
Rob S
Link copied to your clipboard.