Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Buckhunter, We have numerous plants across the US and Canada, and the type of filters run the whole length of filter manufacturers. I am task with trying to get the plants into standardizing this, among other things, but I will give you the information that we as a reliability group have researched. The first thing is that typically the bypass valve is located in the filter head and not the filter itself. Second from all of the research we have done comparing different brands, cost application and such we have recommended to all of our manufacturing facilities to convert to Donaldson filters. Donaldson makes a wide range of high quality filters for numerous applications. We have also found that they are very cost attractive. Information is easily obtained with respect to Beta ratings, media, and testing results. This can not be said for some of the other filter manufacturers. I am not saying that other filter manufacturers do not make good filters, it is just sometimes it is hard to get the information needed to make sound decisions. I am really vendor neutral and don't care what brand is used as long as it meets the specifications required by our group, but you wanted to know what we use. This is just a suggestion. Check out Donaldson filters on line. But enough jay-walking on that, in regard to bypass filtration, all rolling stock equipment typically has a bypass in the filter head, this helps to prevent lubrication starvation at start-up. The oil is cold and has a lot higher viscosity that at the normal operating temp. When in bypass the oil can reach the upper end of the engine and as the temp comes up the pressure drop across the filter decreases, closing the bypass. I hope this has helped in some way. Please don't be duped by salesmen that tout the presence of a bypass valve incorperated into their filter as an added value, it really isin't
Doug,
Thank you for the response. I understand that virtually all current model of engines incorporate a bypass valve in their in line filter designs to prevent oil starvation in the case the filter is plugged.
I am looking for a side stream system which will continually filter a small portion of the excess oil pressure provided by the pump to a greater cleanliness than the service filter does. I realize there are many manufacturers of the systems and was wanting some independant opinions.
I have been using a Kleenoil by pass filter on my cummins engine for 4 years. It is a depth filter, which only a small protion of oil is sent through the housing, without impacting the full flow system. I change the filter every 10,000 miles and change the oil every 20,000 miles, 3 time the engine manufactures recommended interval. The oil samples suggest I can run further, but I do not. The housings and filters are imported from England and work well for both engines and hydraulic systems. I can send a weblink, or a contact name, if you require
Recently, I removed a Gulf Coast bypass filter and replaced it with a Kleenoil bypass filter. The Kleenoil filter is about 1/4 the size and cleaned the oil from an ISO code of 25/22 to 14/10. The particles in the 5 micron range went from 261954 to 93. The Kleenoil filter, because it is so m uch smaller takes almost no makeup oil and I can change the filter without spilling a drop.
quote:
Originally posted by oldcoot:
Recently, I removed a Gulf Coast bypass filter and replaced it with a Kleenoil bypass filter. The Kleenoil filter is about 1/4 the size and cleaned the oil from an ISO code of 25/22 to 14/10. The particles in the 5 micron range went from 261954 to 93. The Kleenoil filter, because it is so m uch smaller takes almost no makeup oil and I can change the filter without spilling a drop.

Oldcoot

How much time it took and what was the quantity of the Oil ?

As far as i know it is a very slow process and is useful for small quantity of the oil only.
Link copied to your clipboard.