Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on Desiccant Breathers and Oil Filter Carts.

My just purchased 89 Case 580 backhoe has a water contaminated hydraulic system. How do I get all the old fluid out of the system (lines, transmission and cylinders) and before refilling? Is there a way to drain the system without disconnecting all the lines to drain? How much water can remain in the system without harm?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Clayton:
My just purchased 89 Case 580 backhoe has a water contaminated hydraulic system. How do I get all the old fluid out of the system (lines, transmission and cylinders) and before refilling? Is there a way to drain the system without disconnecting all the lines to drain? How much water can remain in the system without harm?

The hydraulic oil reservoir (oiltank) is in general very often used as a "trash can". Keep the water contaminant level as low as possible. Rust is not common with levels below 500 mg/kgs but there is many other negative effects with water contaminant at levels far below this.
When it comes to your options/solutions it is all about whats your budget. It is often common to change the oil volume 3-5 times to get rid of water contaminants -depending on what your talking about, freshwater, oilcooler coolant leakage with glycol?
Oil of same brand, dryer than the excisting lubricant, will absorb (even out) water from the oil and system until "equalized" according to fluid temperature.

There is offline filtration systems on the market that is capable of dealing with your problem. It is essential to keep the hydraulics as clean as possible. Protect the oil reservoir (with oil content) from airbore pollutants, particles, water ingress/moist by using an efficient reservoir breather. There are many proucers of such equipment. There is 0.1 micron filters in the market, efficient towards operational trouble/efforts that removes solids, water, glycol, and soft contaminants from the lub.
Then again depends on the budget.
How many liters of lub do you have in system?
Hope this helps:-)
Hans.
Last edited by clean-lub-safe-operation

Hydraulic tank  drain plug on case580K backhoe is under right chassis frame.  Driver facing loader right hand.   The fuel tank drain plug is under the left chassis frame.  Big plug hex nut is 1 7/8 inches.  I drained fuel: it unscrews and like an oil pan drops the fuel fast as is bigger hole.  Hydraulic same size hole.  Use safety procedures.  I have not yet dropped my hydraulic fluid to date. Plan to soon..

Link copied to your clipboard.