Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on Desiccant Breathers and Oil Filter Carts.

Hallo,

I have a hydraulic system with following specifications:
- oil: Petronas Sunvis 846 WR - HV, 3000l
- max pressure 160bar

Every 2 weeks I have to change the 2 off line 3µ filter elements because of filter blockage.

We analysed the oil and the results are good. No severe contamination.

Now we analysed the filterelement and a there is a gelatinous substance with high viscosity on all the surface of the membrane
Si: 1748ppm
Ba: 425ppm
toluene insoluble: 54,74 %wt
heptane insoluble: 55,06 %wt

The oil temperature before the filter is 35°C and the tankvolume is less than 1000l when the machine is in full operation.

Is it possible that the VI improvers or antifoam additives block the filter element?

Kind regards!

Gilles
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi
1784 ppm Si appears elevated for an antifoam additive, we have noted a changed lately of antifoam additive being added until the characteristics required appear in the new lubricant but normally less than 80 ppm indicating there may be a contaminate, run the new oil through the spectrographic analysis and compare the new oil for Si and Ba as if either are absent then something maybe mixing into the lubricant and bumping the anti foam out of "solution" with the deposition on the filter impreding flow,
Regards
Rob S
Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

We changed the oil four months ago, for the reason that with the previous oil we had the same problem with the filter blockage.

There is a tranparant high molecular deposite all over the filter element and that is the reason why we have to change the filter every 1 or 2 weeks. As we found high levels of silicon with the filteranlysis we pressume that that is the composition of the deposite.

Kind regards
Giles,

I would get a SEM (Scanning electronic microscope) examination done on the gelatinous material - check if it is armorphous - generally related to additive material. The photo you posted shows what appears to a crystalline structure. I am not familiar with the hydraulic oil you are using Petronas Sunvis. Check with the oil supplier to see if they have changed the formulation. Check if the product contains any zinc antiwear chemistry and a Viscosity Index modifier (polymer material designed to increase the viscosity index). Ask your oil supplier if they have conducted any filterability test on the hydraulic oil - ask for 3 micron and 100mL of oil to be filtered at various temp - 0C, 25C, and say 40C. You will need to know what portion was filtered and what portion left over - i.e. at what point did the filters block. To solve your delima with regards to filtration - increase the filter to 5 micron peferably with a beta ratio of 200. Ensure the oil is warm when passing through the filters. The other alternative is to speak to your oil supplier and use a hydraulic oil that is zinc free and contains no Viscosity Index modifier - see if you get the same effect with the filters.
My experience with a customer using AW Hydraulic Oils, in India, was similar white deposits. An investigation revealed that this was due to ZDDP breaking down in the presence of water/moisture, when under high or continuous load conditions i.e. with increasing temperature and pressure. White deposits choked/blocked the filters with white deposits of Zinc Oxide.

In your posts you mentioned of white deposits constituent to be Si and Ba. This is a bit odd!! If the plant is located in a sandy/desert area it is understandable. But Ba??
Link copied to your clipboard.