Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on Oil Analysis and Tribology

I am looking out for some digital equipment which can tell the ppm or percentage of moisture in oil, it should be cheap and should be able to use in fields. If it comes at a cost within 1000 US$, many people would be interested in having it.Yes it should detect moisture even if it is less than 50 ppm, the tolerable error will be 5 or evn 10% either way. But it should give result latest within 5 minutes. Karl Fischer is an accurate laboratory process , but takes more than 30 minutes in one sample and so is very cumbersome.
Someone should come forward to make one equipment based on change in dielectric constant of oil due to presence of moisture. So many experts are contributing to these message boards, will not someone help me out?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
As I said, the moisture meter should be prtable and at the same time should be cheap also, not crossing $ 1,000, all the products mentioned by you people are costing USD 4000 to 10,000.
Any other help please, it will certainly help thousands of industries in dveloping countries.

Why do you think your 'developing country' situation is special? The device you describe would be useful in every market, developed and developing. The technical and marketing departments of the above instrument companies would be very happy to build the exact device you describe if it were possible. The fact you can't buy one with the capabilities you want at the price point you desire should tell you all you need to know.

You have been educated on the current state of the art with portable digital moisture testing. You should appreciate the effort the responders to your post put out to do so.
Very typical and sarcastic remarks from so called oil experts!!!! I never expected such responses. I don't know what mistake i committed by asking to develop such a moisture meter which is handy, portable and is within a range of $1000.

Don't say , it is not possible.Prices of almost all the electronic products have come down many times. A good radio available at US$80 or US$90in the year 1940 is available at only $4 or $5, this is due to constant efforts put up by technologists and industrialists. A mobile phone available at US $300 or more in last decade is now available at only US$50.It is not that cheaper ones are less efficient, they are rather having more advanced features. So please don't laugh at me, my friends, if i am inviting scientists and technologists like you to develop a moisture meter for US $1000.It is possible, you will see it materializing in near future.

Still after lot of efforts by experts all over the world, many companies do not think it necessary to keep oil in their machines clean.Laser Particle Counter and moisture detectors available in the market are costly and beyond reach in the opinion of Industries top decision maker management.If they have to buy a machine for even million $ to increase production they will go for it.But they think that these oil testing instruments are useless as they will not increase production.

Just think, if these instruments are sold cheap as i say, may be based on some new technology, they may buy it and then they will test their oil regularly which will convince them to go for cleaning systems.

Mr Hughes amd Micetic!!! I always pay respect to your knowledge, so your remarks have hurt me more.I know what is Crackle test,also know Karl Fischer or Dean and Stark tests, so, please don't suggest Crackle test to me. If you don't have any idea, just appreciate and support my concern for some good cause.

Again I repeat, Industries all over the world need a portable equipment which can tell moisture in oil even upto 5ppm and is available around US$ 1,000. Golden opportunity for scientists and technologists to develop some new simple technology.
Last edited by prabhakaragrawal
Mr Agrawal

I agree in totality with you and a sure you will get it from the Brit compnay i mentioned, i am in process of having it out TLM kit.

let me get details and shall email the same to you - send me a email and i shall send you all details of that compnay. tycoonsindia@sify.com

I also would like to tell you a came across a LPC for 1.25 Lacs. lowest ever heard so far
quote:
Originally posted by Prabhakar Agrawal:
Very typical and sarcastic remarks from so called oil experts!!!! I never expected such responses....

Loosen up, Prabhakar. It was a joke. I sincerely apologize to you for my remark, after seeing how hurt you are by it. It was not intended to offend you. From where I came from, we have such or similar saying when someone expects too much for too little…considering current market values for similar things.
Friends,
This world is very big and only Europe does not represent the whole world.By putting a question or doubt on Noria board ,we expect people from every corner of the world to read it and try to give answer.

Price of a product varies from country to country, you can never say that an equipment for only $1000 is impossible to be available.China has made available numberless items at a cost which still seem impossible, our effort should be to try and try.

Just see, one gentleman has come up with an instrument for $2200 only, others will also come. Friends , don't teach me the simple economics of production, instead try to make things cheaper so that it is widely used for the conservation of oil and benefitting the entire mankind. I am not asking to sell at a loss, just try to develop new technology which gives handsome profit at even low prices.You are selling 1000 equipments, you will be selling 20,000 equipments, this is only an example.
Yeah, forget R&D efforts of EU and US and their products. They are all lousy and unreliable and expensive. The real leaders in innovation and new industrial revolution are in China, Russia, Pakistan and India. But unfortunately they don't know it yet. Therefore, keep that outcry going. They will eventually hear it… and flood the world with cheap instruments like they do with kids toys today. Patience is virtue.
quote:
Originally posted by Prabhakar Agrawal:
..If we require an equipment which is not very accurate, not very sensitive and is much cheaper, should all of us not try to develop one...

Absolutely disagree. It may only be good idea to snake oil salesmen. I don't know how things work in India, but I know that the rest of the world bases the reliability programs on tracking reliable and as much accurate results of analysis as possible. Certainly not on the results approximations. It is obvious that both of us have diametrically opposite view about the reliability and testing issues, and therefore, I see no point in further continuing this discussion.
It is very surprising that you people are not understanding me.Maybe I am unable to make you understand.

Now i am giving you one example.Suppose i have 20 hydraulic machines on same shop floor,each having 1500L of oil.I have a very good hydraulic oil cleaning system on trolley which is connected to each machine for 72 hours one by one, removing solid contaminants upto 1 micron and bringing moisture to less than 50ppm. As per OEM i should change oil after every 4000 working hours. But my cleaning system is maintaining the oil in every machine at an average NAS 7 and moisture 50ppm.

I have planned to send the samples of oil drawn from every tank to sophisticated oil testing lab for knowing the accurate quality of oilfirst time after 3000 hours and after that at regular intervals of 1000 working hours. But i also want to monitor the oil in In-house lab having some equipments which give quick results, maybe they are not very accurate.Here do i need very sophisticated instruments at my place , if i ask for some Moisture metre with 5% inacuracy, Visgauge with even 2% inaccuracy, am i commitiing some crime?I don't know why people start raising question about the country and its culture.When i have planned to send my oil samples after every 1000 hours for accurate testing, do i need that much accuracy while testing oil in house after every 500 hours or 400 hours. I need an approximate view of the quality of oil.

I again appeal to experts to develop equipments for determining moisture content in oil with digital display at a price of approximately UD$1000, it should be able to tell moisture even if it is only 20ppm, maybe with an error of 5%.
Link copied to your clipboard.