Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

What is so special about this stuff?

My wife's Saab 9-3SC specifies that only an oil adhering to this specification be used. Although we get "free" oil changes and other service for the first 30,000 miles, I don't trust the oil life algorithm and have been changing the oil at 50% displayed oil life, or 6 month intervals, in addition to the Dealer service.

Only one oil is available in the US, one of the Mobil 1 weights, which carries this spec, and it sells at a $1 per quart premium! I recently bought 6 litres of ELF Excellium Full-Tech (at a lower price than any Mobil 1) for the upcoming oil change.

Until the ELF purchase I have been ignoring the GM-LL-A-025 spec, believing that any quality synthetic oil changed at half the manufacturer's recommended interval would be adequate. But engines and turbos are expensive, and Warranty Depts are obstinant.....

I even e-mailed the Opel Lubrications Engineer responsible for this spec looking for additional info - no response.

So, what is so special about this oil specification?

Thanks.
Original Post
Hi there Roger.
The GM spec you quote is common to many grades of oil, but can't find its true properties. You will find ACEA spec A1/B1 and A3/B3 oils both satisfying this spec.
Your local Opel/GM dealer should be able to supply you with their own brand "Long Life Super Synthetic 5W30 oil", which satisfies ACEA A3/B3/B4 and the Subject GM specifications. Here in the UK this oil is listed for "extended drain" and a 5 litre can carries the part number 93165212 or 93165011 for 20 litres .(The latter works out much cheaper per litre) I don't know if these part numbers carry over to the USA but your local dealer should be able to cross reference. Incidentaly, this is a superb oil and I have used it in my Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 saloon for several years.
Regards.
Peter.
Link copied to your clipboard.