Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Admin:
To kick-off Noria's new message boards, we're giving an electronic copy of Jim Fitch's new book _How to Select a Motor Oil and Filter_ to the first 10 visitors that register and post a question, tip or case study (relevant and meaningful posts only Smile ) to our new boards.

Does anyone have real experience with "extended drain intervals" with synthetics?
hwhite1,

I’ve been using Mobil 1 for extended service intervals in 3 of my personal cars for the last 9 years. Recently, I changed the oil and filter at 164,000 miles where the last filter change was at 115,000 miles and the oil sometime before that. This was pretty much by neglect. It should have been about 25,000 miles on the oil alone. I have attempted to change the filter every 7500 miles.

I discovered this message board while searching for an oil analysis for this last oil change. I am concerned about the wear on oil that is used for over 49K miles. An interesting book titled “Synthetic Automotive Engine Oils” (PT-22 SAE ISBN 0-89883-110-5) provides some insight to extended service intervals.

There may be much better info on this site and elsewhere oin the web, but this is my 2 cents worth.

-colortvset
quote:
Originally posted by hwhite1:
quote:
To kick-off Noria's new message boards, we're giving an electronic copy of Jim Fitch's new book _How to Select a Motor Oil and Filter_ to the first 10 visitors that register and post a question, tip or case study (relevant and meaningful posts only Smile ) to our new boards.

Yes. I've been using extended drains now in my personal vehicles since 1993. Originally I was going 10,000 miles with oil analysis (10w30) on a 1990 Toyota 2.2L 4 Cyl. Sold truck at 349,000 miles. Each oil change the interval was increased by 5,000 miles and oil analysis was performed. Eventually I was at 40,000 mile intervals. In 2000, I purchased a 1998 Toyota with the 3.4L 6 Cyl.; it was a returned lease vehicle with 36K miles on it. I now have 129,000 miles on it and I have now increased my intervals to 35,000 miles (0w-30) until installing a by-pass system at 111,000 miles. I now have 18,000 miles on this oil change but have not sampled the oil yet. I'm curious to see how it performs but I'm not planning to pull the sample until June of 2004; I should have approximately 40,000 on that oil at that point in time. My wife's vehicle is a 1995 Toyota Fore-Runner (10w30)with 151,000 miles and has the oil changed in it every 12 mths. simply because she only drives 8,500 / yr. I was very skeptical early on because I had always used petroleum oils and didn't even know what oil analysis was but my brother-in-law is a chemical engineer and told me about this and I decided to try it after listening to him for about 2 yrs.; I figured the only way to get him to shut up was buy the stuff. haha I've had great results using this drain interval method.
Does anyone have real experience with "extended drain intervals" with synthetics?

'Rider Support'
(C.)918-636-1281
The main difference between North America and Europe with regards to lubricant recommendations is that the European market generally runs a higher viscosity lubricant. It is not uncommon to find 5W-40's and even 10W-60 lubricants in vehicles. 15W-40 is very common in the mineral oil category.

Typical drain intervals in Europe is 10,000 Km (6200 mile) but of course this is dependent upon manufacturer and driving style just as it is in NA.

The main difference between NA and EU is that the EU doesn't have Jiffy Lube brain washing the motoring public into believing that lubricant technology and manufacturing processes have not advanced at all since the 1950's.

In Europe just as in NA, the government is pushing for much cleaner and environmentally friendly fluids. 0W-30 extended drain oils are currently being formulated and recommended in many newer engines with extended drain capability (oil life monitors).

If a company advertises that their oils need to be changed at 3000 mile intervals then it is a safe bet that their additive package is very weak. I will not mention brand names but there are some very strong 'uncommon' brands on the market and at least one of the major brands is truly a 3000 mile fluid.

Read the packaging, compare the standards that the oils have been tested to and use that as a baseline. If a fluid meets only the API's rating then keep in mind that every $.89 bottle of oil at the local dime store also meets that specification. Don't get too hung up on basestocks. In general, if a oil meets the European mfgr's extended drain/longlife recommendations then you can bet that the additive package is very strong. (eg: BMW LL-01, SAAB GM-LL).
quote:
Originally posted by hwhite1:
quote:

I run a Mobile lube business and use synthetic oils. I do a lot of instant spot checking using the "Lubrisensor" and send many samples to a lab to be verified. I personally have not taken anything beyond 50,000 miles. Have seen 30-40,000 miles backed by analysis before changing. I guess that's extended.
Last edited {1}
I am concerned about change intervals. In MN, we have +40 C in the summer and -40 C in the winter. I prefer PAO based lubes as one cannot trust the quality control of Base I-III oils. I drove 400 miles at +47 C ambient air temp with AC full blast (inside + 24 C) and a strong wind and sun. Tell me if a mineral oil can stand up and take that abuse? In Europe, they seldom have weather conditions that we in North America experience. Give me PAO or synthetic esters anyday for my car.
colortvset posted this referecnce to a book “Synthetic Automotive Engine Oils” (PT-22 SAE ISBN 0-89883-110-5) provides some insight to extended service intervals.

Can any one give me some idea where to purchase this info.

I do have extended drain intervals experience and would share them with any one that needs more info.

Thanks,

Jason Keranen
AZ-Syntheticlubes
email:az-syntheticlubes@direcway.com
Link copied to your clipboard.