Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Sorry, didn't know what else to put in the title. I'm a newbie here, but I've been a BiTOG member for over 2 years. I've got an 88 Toyota Corolla that's going to be due for an oil change in the next few weeks, and I don't know which oil I am going to use next. The car is just a beater, body is pretty much shot, but it still runs fairly well. I'm running 5w30 Maxlife conventional and a Fram oil filter. Since this next oil change will take me into the winter, I really don't want to have to do another oil change til spring, since I'll probably be getting rid of the car by then anyway. I was thinking of either running Maxlife synthetic 5w30, or good ol' 0w30 german Castrol syntec. Maxlife synthetic is $7.99 a quart, Syntec is $8.99 a quart. I like the idea of a high mileage synthetic oil, but would it hold up til spring in my car? I also like 0W oils for easier cold weather starting too. Can't decide what to do...maybe you people can help me?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good idea Djordan. And in the same spirit, here is a filter comparisons web page someone recently put together:
http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/index.html
It compares many cross reference versions of the Motorcraft 820 filter. Note the Wix does not have the threaded end bypass, but all Wix filters I get for my Fords do have a threaded end bypass, so if you have a Ford, don't write off Wix for the bypass until you check your specific application.
Link copied to your clipboard.