Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on Oil Analysis and Tribology

We finally received permission to start installing Minimess sample valves in our plant. We do have some issues that need to be addressed:

1) Anybody have any experience with these valves leaking? One of our design engineers thought there have been issues with leaking valves.

2) If you are obtaining a sample from a component with a small reservoir (appx.1qt.) can you get a 4oz. sample without compromising the ability to maintain a satisfactory oil level?

Thanks for any input.
Pete
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

we have been using them for some time now on 26 different hyd. units, no leaks as of yet but you may want to be sure and use a god pipe thread dope or tape.
as far as the sample on the 1 qt. reservoir, i dont believe 4 oz. would be enough for the lab to work with but even more i dont think sampling a 1qt. reservoir is very cost effective un less your loosing pumps or valves and just want to see where the problem may be. you can drain and refill a small unit like that cheaper than you can have the lab test it.
Rowan,

Thanks for the response. That is just what I want to hear.

No, sampling a 1 qt. reservoir is not cost effective but, nothing is at a Nuc power plant. Herguth Lab can do all the testing we require with a 4 oz. sample. An example of our appx. 1 qt. reservoirs is a Gould MT pump with a 1.3 qt. reservoir.

We need to sample this equipment on-line. Operations does not want to clear equipment during operation.
Pete, how long did it take you to get permission?

Do you have a blanket mod written?

Any idea on projected cost per install?

As to the depletion of levels from sampling. It's a pain, but it's life in a nuc.

We do 4 ounce samples also. and it is painful on more than the small reservoirs. Our SACM EDGs have 6 gallon generator bearing housings. With about a 6 ounce window.

I would like to be able to go to minmess' here, but so far Design just doesn't get it.

Mostly, I think, because my predecessor (sp?) doesn't like them. I'll keep trying.
Link copied to your clipboard.