Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012604

What are your thoughts on M1 0w-40? The oil has shown to shear down to a high 30wt oil many times. While it would thicken back up over time do to oxidation, some don't like it bc it does shear. Wear metals are so so and usually your 5w-40's show better results.

IMO, this oil tries to be a one size fits all and with that makes some compromises. It's now SM rated. Your 5w-40's are usually loaded with more ZDDP also. Someone mentioned cleaning ability and that is why it shows higher wear metals. I don't buy that being other ester based oils like D1/M1 SUV show better results. Thoughts?

Oh and the argument that it comes factory fill in high end cars is a good point, but most of those cars hold 9 qts of oil so I'm not really impressed by that fact.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Big Grin

I did not read your supplied link but think it's funny that a few of that oils critics cannot even tell exactly where the nickel comes from based on remarks made in the past denouncing it's ability to protect valve train .

I think it's a well built engine oil and with that comes the meeting of many certifications . I also beleive many use it out of application and simply don't need the VI .

Thinning . If the oil starts at 13.8 for example , thins to 12.5 @ 7500 miles then thickens back up to starting point at 15k it has remained in grade throughout the interval , correct ? It has also given better fuel economy over that period than for example an 11.5 cSt synthetic oil that thickens to a upper 40wt or lower 50wt ,correct ?

During that period the Mobil oil still pumped better than the example oil because it did not suffer oxidative thickening and harming the performance of the oil at or below the 40c mark during cold weather and the warm up phase which is something the ACEA has become increasingly aware of .

Thinning and use of polymers : I believe you said on this forum that you used the green Castrol and the engine was sluggish . Most that have a keen feel for their engines can tell the difference when that oil is used in a motor of smaller displacement . No polymers in that one , correct ? Oil makers use polymers to their advantage . Sometimes oils without polymers can be felt by the owner during the warm-up phase dependant ot not on lifter design . You might have been one of them Smile

In my view only people thinking of perfect worlds believe that synthetic oils for daily drivers that see's all types of operation should be made without VII's .

Maxima makes a ultra premium 10w-40 bike oil that is only 12.5 cSt @ 100c . They use some of the best VII's available in the formula for better overall performance . I think Maxima builds an oil based on their concept of what makes a good oil . I believe the same when it comes to Mobil and their 0w-40 .

Wear protection , the 0w-40 has it and the better engines show it through analysis .
Buster, you just HAD to bring this topic over here, didn't you?!?

Motorbike, it is SO nice to FINALLY see someone else that knows about Maxima's oil formulations and quality. After all of my other posts on the other oils that I asked about, I went with their Maxum 4 Ultra 0w30 for my Honda. The additive package is even beefier than the Extra addtive package that you posted earlier, and since it doesn't consume oil at all, no risk with the cat poisoning issue that seems to panic everyone over "there"!!

I also started running their Super M 2-cycle lube in my fuel, for the PIB component benefits. The doseage seems to be ounce/gallon of the lube, which is what I have in the tank right now. So far, so good.

I also am considering their other lines for all of my vehicles, due to the construction of them. Built like tanks, pricey, but when it comes to "my babies", they are most DEFINITELY worth every penny!!! Big Grin
The Maxima 0w-30 has swept the west coast road race tracks and is used by many of the Porsche guys with a high degree of success . I kinda get the idea that the Attack Kawasaki AMA Team uses their oil also .

Want a battle tough dino ? They make a 5w-30 .

Back to Mobil 0w-40 . The HT/HS is actually 3.9 . 3.6 is the minimum HT/HS .

Check out the Mobil UK site and you'll see that one of the worlds best gasoline engine oils is also one of the best diesel engine oils . See all the ratings and manufacturers approvals it meets .

Not a chance those polymers will become precursors of sludge formation with that formula and appropriate drain intervals .

There's more to be said about oil consumption in certain engines when using this oil but I'm keeping those few tidbits to myself Razz
Motorbike, your well missed on bitog. I always enjoyed your posts. Smile

I had the GC in my Honda and it made it sluggish. I currently have M1 0w-20 in my car. I've used about 1/4qt in 5,000 miles so far. Might be 1/2qt actually.

On one hand the 0w-40 does have impressive approvals. That in itself says a lot about the oil. Do you think this oil in the summer months would make my car sluggish as compared to the GC? The Mobil UK and Castrol UK sites recommend this oil for the engine in my car. I'd like to try it just for kicks. *BTW, checkout the UOA of M1 0w-20 with 20k miles on it. Thickend only to a 30wt. If that were Amsoil it would have been a 50wt!
MG, probably not esters but AN/PAO.

Motorbike, someone pointed this out on BITOG

It's the only oil EM states that it cleans/deposits and sludge.

quote:
Our lineup of Mobil 1 motor oils includes a 0W-40 viscosity, which is the viscosity recommended by many European car builders. Mobil 1 0W-40's wide viscosity range provides unsurpassed levels of protection and an overall smooth driving experience. Mobil 1 0W-40 keeps engines starting in Arctic-extreme cold, and it cleans deposits, sludge and varnish often formed in high temperature operating conditions.
Buster,

Posted UOAs in the infamous engine can show 7fe or as posted a 17fe compared to av of 12fe - ? what is conclusion

An engine is recommende a 40 in europe but 20 US if a 0W40 shears is this an issue?

If high heat from ambient or use should visc be reduced or increased.

With cold starts and short trips do you want thinner oils and perhaps esters?

Doug posted "there are no magic oils" but expressed a view based on vast experience.

In the UK Castrol and M1 are described as "shed oils" but cost is a driving factor!

What is obvious is when push comes to shove a number of experts are silent, perhaps censorship rules!
quote:
Originally posted by Buster:
MG I have no idea. What are ad hoc UOA's? Smile

Most on BITOG have dismissed the cleaning ability as pure marketing by EM.

And their credentials in the Industry are ??????? Razz

Mobil has also performed in house " dyno mule " and field test using their older high-mileage formula and the results showed cleaning abilities .

Hmmm. They can do that with a mineral/pao blend but they cannot when it comes to this GM-LL-A-025 GM-LL-B-025 synthetic oil ?

The Mobil 0w-40 data sheet goes a bit further than what you posted . They describe it as having an active cleaner . I believe them .
quote:
During that period the Mobil oil still pumped better than the example oil because it did not suffer oxidative thickening and harming the performance of the oil at or below the 40c mark during cold weather and the warm up phase which is something the ACEA has become increasingly aware of .

This oil also contains a good amount of grp V base stock. It's also designed to shear down and handle soot over long drains. It will definitely keep your engine clean. Smile
quote:
One could then make the argument that RL shows more wear because it's cleaning. That I wouldn't doubt.

Or one might could argue that with all that moly they use and type of it , the formlated oil with base stock used " might " not pass one or more of the following tests and whats being seen is a bit of corrosion. And it also might well be that with the different metalurgy used in all these engines some just show different than others .

Recall my bringing attention to the sputter coated bearings used in the VW's and other Bavarian engines .

Cu Corrosion, 3 hrs @ 163C

Zn Corrosion, 3 hrs @ 163C

Pb Corrosion, 3 hrs @ 163C

Al Corrosion, 3 hrs @ 163C

50/50 Pb/Sn Corrosion, 3 hrs @ 163C
quote:
Originally posted by MGBV8:

What is obvious is when push comes to shove a number of experts are silent, perhaps censorship rules!

More like frustration. It's tough to argue with statements relevant to "I know you are but what am I?"

I see a lot of the people who made logical and rational comments gone from BITOG or at least lurking without posting.
quote:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012604

What are your thoughts on M1 0w-40? The oil has shown to shear down to a high 30wt oil many times. While it would thicken back up over time do to oxidation, some don't like it bc it does shear. Wear metals are so so and usually your 5w-40's show better results.

IMO, this oil tries to be a one size fits all and with that makes some compromises. It's now SM rated. Your 5w-40's are usually loaded with more ZDDP also. Someone mentioned cleaning ability and that is why it shows higher wear metals. I don't buy that being other ester based oils like D1/M1 SUV show better results. Thoughts?

Oh and the argument that it comes factory fill in high end cars is a good point, but most of those cars hold 9 qts of oil so I'm not really impressed by that fact.
I have heard that Mobil 0W-40 was very prone to shearing too! I have used it in my Volvos in the past, and never really experienced any issues, however, I hear that this oil is weak when it comes to Saab Turbos. I did some research on Rotella 5W-40 and I found some very interesting information, I have used Chevron delo 15w-40 and even this oil is superb, but the prep stats and info on shell rotella 5w-40 was very informative. Rotella full synthetic
If you google "rotella full synthetic 5w-40, look for the link that is connected to www.mercedesshop.com It talks about how Rotella T Synthetic is made with Shell's XHVI base oil, which unlike other group 3 base oils does not begin with distilled crude oil, hence of all group 3 base oils, XHVI is truly the only one that can legitimately be called synthetic. XHVI is a wax isomerate, meaning that it is made from the slack wax removed from distilled crude in normal solvent dewaxing. This slack wax is catalytically transformed (isomerized) and hydrofinished into a chemically pure base oil which rivals PAO in virtually every catagory. There are other "synthetic" oils out there based on group 3, but Shell's is unique in that it uses XHVI base oil. (And I beleive Castrol uses Shell's XHVI too.) Cheveron and Petro-Canada produce group 3 base oils that come close to XHVI, but even though these oils are all hydroprocessed and utilized the same type of isomerization technology employed in the making of XHVI, they are not the same thing. Only XHVI is made from pure petroleum slack wax and its CAS number is 92026-09-4. The CAS number for the more typical all-hydroprocessed group 3 base oils is 64742-54-7. If you want to know your synthetic oil is made from, take a look at the MSDS and look for these numbers. (The CAS number for PAO is 68037-01-4.) Interesting isn't it! Feedback please!

Best Regards
quote:
Originally posted by Motorbike:
quote:
One could then make the argument that RL shows more wear because it's cleaning. That I wouldn't doubt.

Or one might could argue that with all that moly they use and type of it , the formlated oil with base stock used " might " not pass one or more of the following tests and whats being seen is a bit of corrosion. And it also might well be that with the different metalurgy used in all these engines some just show different than others .

Recall my bringing attention to the sputter coated bearings used in the VW's and other Bavarian engines .

Cu Corrosion, 3 hrs @ 163C

Zn Corrosion, 3 hrs @ 163C

Pb Corrosion, 3 hrs @ 163C

Al Corrosion, 3 hrs @ 163C

50/50 Pb/Sn Corrosion, 3 hrs @ 163C

That's quite a bunch.
Keep on sharing.
quote:
Originally posted by sprintman:
It was the BMW dealer oil till Mobil lost the contract to Castrol (Edge 0W40). Most BMW indys still use M1 0W40.

Sprintman,what do you mean by 'indys'? Most 'race' cars are not using the oil you "think" they are...or have been paid to "say" they are running. They are using something you will never know about---and everyone in the know,is fully aware of that fact!

This 0w-40 oil is not the best oil out there by a long shot-----it cokes,and sludges. I won't use it for this reason.

This link is straight from Mobil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-En...o_Engine_Coking.aspx

Realize that coking creates carbonaceous deposits(carbon) that are very abrasive like sandpaper, and consequently cause rapid wear!

-----------------------------------------------
Link Quote...

http://www.turborepair.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7...20@N02/2200663966/#/

http://urbanracer.com/articles...ewer.asp?a=3283&z=42

But when the engine is shut off, temperatures can rise to 600 to 700 degrees F. inside the housing as the turbo undergoes a period of heat soak. The oil oxidizes and forms coke deposits in the housing that then act like an abrasive to wear the bearings.

Charbroiled oil can also bring down the hammer on an unsuspecting center cartridge. Coking is burnt oil residue, a hardened version of the sludge we see falling from the sky in those Castrol GTX commercials. The coked oil blocks the flow of oil through the bearing, which signs the turbo's death certificate.
Last edited by captainkirk
quote:
Originally posted by Steve S:
What about all the turboed commercial diesel trucks that run 15w-40 Dino HDEO oil ?

Commercial diesel trucks are run with a far different pattern than passenger cars. Hot shutdowns almost never occur in such trucks preventing extreme heat soaking and oil coking,not to mention the heavy duty overall design,massive sump,and oil filter system banks.

Some good reading...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...wflat&Number=1962625

This probably says a lot!

"Our OTR trucks and heavy equipment ALWAYS gets a cool down period after hard use,gets ya fired if you don't!"
quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:
Anecdotes are no subsitute for data. No matter how hard you try to make it so.

DATA....Like the "Global warming"--data we had all those years!!

You want Data....get your own data,use-try the product and find out for yourself how good it is and be done with it and know the truth!

OR.......move on and be done with it!

Which is it gonna be? PICK ONE,and get off the pot!
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Kirk:
You want Data....get your own data,use-try the product and find out for yourself how good it is and be done with it and know the truth!

OR.......move on and be done with it!

Which is it gonna be? PICK ONE,and get off the pot!

Don't expect an answer in this lifetime, mon Capitan. You know the drill only too well, my friend... Wink
The M1 0w-40 is a fine oil. There is a great deal of data, UOAs, VOAs, etc to back that. Unlike the failure that synlube is.

But all we get, from claims that I wrecked a non exsistent thread to conventional oil is the cause of sludge, is just that. Claims. Backed by nothing more than anecdotes.

And we all know, or should know, that anecdotes are worthless as a basis to make informed decisions.

Thanks to said data, people can decide if they want to use it or not.

The same can be said for many brand name conevntional oils.Great many VOA/UOAs. The fact that new car models still spec it. That can be used to determine if one should use it or not.

Data. Not useless anecdotes,
Last edited by trajan
Link copied to your clipboard.