Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on Grease Guns and Oil Sight Glasses.

I am currently in the process of revamping our lube program, including consolidating some of the greases we use in the plant. On paper, Mobil SHC 100 seems a likely fit for much of our equipment. But in practice, I'm getting feedback that it doesn't seem to be performing as expected: for instance, the oil seems to bleed out of the grease frequently, even though it is being used within proper operating applications (temp, speed, etc). I plan on talking to my Mobil rep about this, but I would also be interested in any thoughts, comments, opinions, that any of you may have from your own experiences.

Regards,
M Nash
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We originally used Mobil AW 2 in our plant, but then made a decision to go to synthetic Mobil SHC 100. We used it for about 5 years, but now we have gone to a different brand due to a company wide consolidation program. To be honest with you, we really did not see that much improvement in failure rates with the SHC 100 compared to the AW 2. Just my opinon, but but it might not be cost effective to switch to synthetic in this case. By the way, we now use Petro-Canada Peerless LLG as our replacement for the SHC 100.
Actually the base oil in SHC 100 is a little light for use as a general purpose grease. It was originally intended for use as an electric motor grease and is actually the best pick for that particular application. Mobilith AW 2 is the best or at least one of the best general purpose greases available for most industrial applications. SHC 100 has an ISO 100 base oil and is good for high speed bearing applications, the oil bleed is a benefit there. AW 2 has an ISO 150 base oil so it is better suited for general industrial applications. Now if you have high temps or very heavy load applications you may need to look at a grease with a higher vis base oil, preferably a synthetic. A good lube engineer can give you guidance in that area.
here's how to consolidate your grease inventory. Primrose #310 Blue Max grease for high speed electric motor bearings and Primrose #327 Armor Plate w/Moly-D grease for everything else. Multipurpose 327 is non-melt, waterproof and uses proprietary liquid form of molybdenum. that's it, that's the list. chip@aceinter.net
If you have requirement of Petro-Canada Peerless LLG do contact us in india.
Regds,
Jayesh
quote:
Originally posted by menash:
I am currently in the process of revamping our lube program, including consolidating some of the greases we use in the plant. On paper, Mobil SHC 100 seems a likely fit for much of our equipment. But in practice, I'm getting feedback that it doesn't seem to be performing as expected: for instance, the oil seems to bleed out of the grease frequently, even though it is being used within proper operating applications (temp, speed, etc). I plan on talking to my Mobil rep about this, but I would also be interested in any thoughts, comments, opinions, that any of you may have from your own experiences.

Regards,
M Nash
Dear Colleagues ,

Mobilith SHC 100 is the best grease for high speed bearings /2000 -8000 rev/min/ and outperform all other lithium , lithium-complex and even polyuria mineral grease.
For bearings /750 -2000/ is best Mobilith SHC 220 or Mobil SHC Polyrex 222 .For paper plants-
Mobilith SHC PM 220.
For bearings / 300-800/ - Mobilith SHC 460 and for paper machine Mobilith SHC PM 460 - for paper plants.
For low speed bearings - Mobilith SHC 1500 and
Mobilith SHC 1000 Special / especially for plain or heavy loaded rolling bearings.
So for a selection of the wright grease is most
important the following factors:
1.SPEED !!!
2.Temperature /working and outside/
3.Roghness of the rolling elements and bearing rings/
4.loads.
I have excellent results with all Mobilith SHC Series .They are for me simply the best
/as the Tina Turner'song -The best/
Link copied to your clipboard.