Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

I am not a mechanic (I'm a girl!) so I came here to get advice. I took my car to the oil changing place and two new guys were working alone. After they were finished and I drove away I could feel the engine having trouble shifting (it's an automatic, 06 Subaru Forester turbo). The tac would surge and the car wouldn't. I drove about a half mile before taking it back.
Turns out that they drained the tranny oil and overfilled the engine oil. I got them to write a note about what happened on the receipt.
My son says that the car will run great for a while (it does) but small oil leaks will start happening. He also said that my tranny got some accelerated wear. He said my car just got much older before its time.
So what should I do? Do I wait until things start going wrong or go see a lawyer?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You have to suffer damages before getting a lawyer involved. Damages have to be measurable. So far no damages have been determined. Find a reputable mechanic. Get an evaluation, maybe even an fluid analysis. Once a mechanic can determine damage then approach the oil change shop for repairs. Then stop going to quick change places.
Hi Elise, replace the oil filter on the transmission and if there was any appreciable damage there will be significant metal in the old transmission oil filter.
To open the old oil filter you should find someone with a roller cutter and then there will be no cutting wear debris introduced from opening, because the car drove there must of been some fluid in the transmission so you may have no damage but to check the evidence will be in the oil filter. Rob S
Thank you both. I vow to never again go to quick change places. My car is having a hard time shifting - it now lugs and then kind of surges forward slightly instead of smoothly shifting like it did before. I'll take it to my mechanic for an evaluation and tell him about looking in the filter and an talk about a fluid analysis.
Big help and I appreciate it.
Elise
quote:
Originally posted by Elise B.:
I am not a mechanic (I'm a girl!) so I came here to get advice. I took my car to the oil changing place and two new guys were working alone. After they were finished and I drove away I could feel the engine having trouble shifting (it's an automatic, 06 Subaru Forester turbo). The tac would surge and the car wouldn't. I drove about a half mile before taking it back.
Turns out that they drained the tranny oil and overfilled the engine oil. I got them to write a note about what happened on the receipt.
My son says that the car will run great for a while (it does) but small oil leaks will start happening. He also said that my tranny got some accelerated wear. He said my car just got much older before its time.
So what should I do? Do I wait until things start going wrong or go see a lawyer?

it generally happens when you not have sufficient information and try to work with car. Just ask expert to check car engine
quote:
Originally posted by Diough:
quote:
Originally posted by Elise B.:
I am not a mechanic (I'm a girl!) so I came here to get advice. I took my car to the oil changing place and two new guys were working alone. After they were finished and I drove away I could feel the engine having ledsbtrouble shifting (it's an automatic, 06 Subaru Forester turbo). The tac would surge and the car wouldn't. I drove about a half mile before taking it back.

it generally happens when you not have sufficient information and try to work with car. Just ask expert to check car engine
Link copied to your clipboard.