Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What is the DATE of this article ?

Must be at minimum 11 to 12 years, and refers to work or tests that are at least twice as old !

Plus Nevada Desert Research Institute has never to the knowledge of current profesors did any such work or tests.

Same goes for the Engineering Dpt of CAL Poly.

No one currently there has any knowledge or any available information to support the claims in the article.

It is not that 400 mesh PTFE poweder in Oil or FRAM Oil Filter is of no value and 15 cents worth of it used to be sold dilluted in Oil for $19.95 - but the fact that the claims are problably not true about the "research" and testing of PTFE.

Petrolon has been out of business for years !!!
FLUON has been used in Printing Inks and it prolongs the life of the used to be lead and latter soft composite metal, up to 5 times, so it does work, but you do not see chunks of Teflon on every page of newsprint, do you.

It is 0.3 micron in average and has been in use for over 26 years.

PTFE in SynLube is from 0.3 to 1.2 micron and has been in use since 1969.

It makes measurable difference in emitted sound (dB level) on Diesel (piston slap) and in Differential (noise emitted both under positive and negative load) - easy to verify with ordinary sound meter !!!

While we make no such claim, most people in Tribology agree that less sound emitted (especially super sonic) the less contact stress exists and thus less wear results - I have seen NO research to that effect that would have admitted by all reliability but there are dozen companies that sell "sound" monitors and make extraordinary claims of how many millions their clients saved on maintenance once they found a lube that made LESS NOISE in the same machine (mostly industrial 24/7 uses).

Our customers tell us the vehicles run quieter - and that is good enough for them and me - just had a customer with 2009 Mustang tell me so today on the phone (and he so far only used it in the Engine). - now he wants SynLube for Differential, Power Steering and 6speed transmission - he is convinced by better MPG and a "quieter" engine.

I know there will now be 60 more pages claiming that it can not be so, but unfortunately PTFE, if it is dispersed properly makes things quieter - but you need XX% loading to be effective (the XX value is a proprietary information - it only took 22 years to get that one just right !!!)

But quieter is a nightmare for the K&N Air Filter fans with CAT BACK, the more noise is better for them...
Last edited by mirokefurt
""FLUON has been used in Printing Inks and it prolongs the life of the used to be lead and latter soft composite metal, up to 5 times, so it does work, but you do not see chunks of Teflon on every page of newsprint""

So what has NOTHING to do with engine lubrication

PTFE will not wet out on oily metal so will do nothing in bearing systems it will not impregnate metals. It may reduce sound as other solids will do but is good only as a solid lubricant in gears or if used in a grease.
Link copied to your clipboard.