Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Hi,
My son just installed a new Excel Super Coil and MSD 6 off road ignition module on his jeep. It was not using hardly any oil until the MSD upgrade. Could this be causing blow-by? Question: What can we add to the oil safely to slow down the amount being used or blow-by? We are presently using Valvoline 10-30w in the jeep. Thanks for any help. P.S. The compression is good. I'm wondering about oil weights or additive to slow the consumption down. The jeep is not really burning oil.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is using about a quart every 200 miles and previously was not. The rear main does leak a little but not that much.We will try the Pennzoil 15W40 the next time we change the oil. We also just installed a new carburator just before the MSD. First we thought gas may have got in the oil and thinned it down but I don't know. Looks like we will be rebuilding this summer if we can not get it slowed down. Is "Restore" worth using as a temporary fix until it can be re-built??
Thanks for the feedback, Dave C.
Abus, thanks for the e-mail. We will definitly try the valves first.

Fred, funny you should mention PCV. This is how the oil got gas in it. The PCV hose collapsed causing the engine to run terrible and gas got in the oil. My son replaced the hose but not the PCV, I think? We will replace this and verify it's not blocked, before looking at the valve job.

Thanks alot, three heads are better than one. Especially one that is somewhat ignorant but learning.
Link copied to your clipboard.