Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

It's near time for the 8k mile oil change for the car in my sig.

There are three things I look for in an oil.

1: API rating. It has to have the starburst on the container. If it does not have it, then I don't look any further.

2: ACEA rating. It has to have a HTHS of at least 3.5. So that means it has to be A3 or better. I've read that you can go to a higher A rating, but not lower. So if it's A1, it's rejected.

3: MFG approval. A great deal of money is spent on R&D to make sure the oil can handle the engine. Auto makers work closely with oil companies on that point. BMW works with Castrol, as does Audi/VW though other companies will pony up the money to test their oils. It's the same with Porsche/Mobil, Ferrari/Shell, etc.

Other companies also work with the auto makers. BMW factory fills with Castrol, but Valvoline/Mobil/Pennzoil also have BMW approvals for some of their oil. Porsche has over 100 approved oils, but factory fill with Mobil 1.

My point? Engine makers know more about their engines than anyone. So I'm a big proponent of using mfg approved oil in my engine.

So it is LL-01 for me. It is a point that I can bend on a little though, as my 6yr/100k mile warranty is up.

The next post will be a list of oils I'm looking at, and finally, the one that is my choice.

Feel free to advise, but within the paramaters. (LL-01 isn't an absolute.)
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In no paticular order:
Motul 8100 X-MAX 5W-30
http://matrixsyntheticoils.com...0%20x-max%205w30.pdf

Castrol Syntec SAE 0W-30 European Formula (Meets all the specs.)

Castrol Syntec SAE 5W-40 European Formula (Ll-98 instead of 01 but meets the other two.)

Liqui Moly Leichtlauf Special LL 5W-30 (meets all)

Mobil 1 0w-40 (Meets all) The flagship as far as I'm concerned. Can't argue with Aston Martin, Porsche, Mercedes AMG either. My favorite oil.

Pento High Performance 5W-30 (Meets all)

Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro (I understand Pennzoil is going to set a link on their site so we can buy it. It's hard to find.)

Q HorsePower SAE 5W-40 (as of 2007 LL-01 approval was pending)

I know one who ran uses Motul in his M3 and is happy with it. It is also expensive compared to the M1.
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
Note the timing gears from the 2.5 Boxster M96 engine. 0-40 M1 with excessive oil change interval. It was specified by the factory. Government regs have a great deal to do with current oil specs. Any of the products you have listed for consideration will be OK BUT chose an interval that suits the one you choose. Error on the side of caution. Any of the synthetic products listed are overkill,especially if the change interval is shortened. I treat my toys better than I have to,so no lecture here about spending more than you have to. DO WHAT YOU LIKE. You must have some opinion about what you do and dont want.
Castrol Syntec SAE 0W-30 European Formula (Meets all the specs.) That would be my choice, seems to be a favorite oil for many drivers, with tons of data backing it up. Save the thicker stuff for if/when you ever have oil use problems. The other nice thing about the Castrol product is it is pretty easy to get, no jumping through hoops.

I have a few Shipmates using Castrol in BMW and they're all happy with it, engines are staying clean. We had the VC off one at the Hobby Shack not long ago, 100,000+ on the clock and clean as a bell using GC 0W30.

AD
quote:
Originally posted by BKL98MK8LSC:
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
Note the timing gears from the 2.5 Boxster M96 engine. 0-40 M1 with excessive oil change interval. It was specified by the factory. Government regs have a great deal to do with current oil specs. Any of the products you have listed for consideration will be OK BUT chose an interval that suits the one you choose. Error on the side of caution. Any of the synthetic products listed are overkill,especially if the change interval is shortened. I treat my toys better than I have to,so no lecture here about spending more than you have to. DO WHAT YOU LIKE. You must have some opinion about what you do and dont want.

My OCI is normally @8K miles. Even under warranty I changed it halfway through. (I treat my toys better than I have to as well Smile)

I do have an opinion, thus the parameters I mentioned. But feel free to offer your advice. I may not heed it, but I won't bite your head off.

FWIW, I burn a qt /6k miles.
Last edited by trajan
quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:
Castrol Syntec SAE 0W-30 European Formula (Meets all the specs.) That would be my choice, seems to be a favorite oil for many drivers, with tons of data backing it up. Save the thicker stuff for if/when you ever have oil use problems. The other nice thing about the Castrol product is it is pretty easy to get, no jumping through hoops.

I have a few Shipmates using Castrol in BMW and they're all happy with it, engines are staying clean. We had the VC off one at the Hobby Shack not long ago, 100,000+ on the clock and clean as a bell using GC 0W30.

AD

GC is a very good oil. I've used it a few times. The factory fill is rebadged Castrol TXT 5w-30.

There is one oil I didn't mention, though I'm using it. Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40.

Miscommunication between myself and my mechanic led to that. My fault that was. I wanted the Pz-5w-40, but the distributor didn't have it listed. (Common as we've heard over at BITOG). So I said "The M1 then.", meaning the 0w-40. Oops.....

Anyway, I looked up the specs, and was really surprised at the HTHS of 3.9, which is a tad higher the their 0w-40.
Trajan, what type of driving do you do, I remember corresponding with a member on BITOG about a particular 0W-20 motor oil that was rated for 25,000 miles or 1 year under normal service and 15,000 miles or one year under sever service, he asked me how many miles I drove the car a day, I said 20 miles to work and 20 miles back home, he recommended a 7500 mile OCI.

So, with what he told me, I am using PP 5W-20 and doing 5000 mile OCI's.

This person was a member of Terry Dyson's Blog, and he did not try to push Biosyn on me.
Im hesitant to recommend any product that I dont use myself or have any experience with. I can tell you the I use DELVAC 1 5-40 and lubrication engineers monolec SPB 5-30 in my own cars and trucks with no complaints. I also use lucas pure synthetic additive in some applications.Ive found it to be A very different product than their standard gorilla snot stabilizer. All depends on application and usage.
quote:
Im hesitant to recommend any product that I dont use myself or have any experience with. I can tell you the I use DELVAC 1 5-40 and lubrication engineers monolec SPB 5-30 in my own cars and trucks with no complaints. I also use lucas pure synthetic additive in some applications.Ive found it to be A very different product than their standard gorilla snot stabilizer. All depends on application and usage.

I came across this here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com...wthread.php?t=265292

"A note concerning Mobil 1 5w-40 SUV oil. I know that somebody is going to go to buy this and say "hey it doesn't say ACEA A3 on the back." They are correct. The 5w-40 oil repackaged Mobil Delvac 1, a Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine oil originally designed for trucks and fleet vehicles. This oil is slightly heavier than the 0w-40 and has an HTHS of 4.1. It meets ACEA E3,4 & 5 which are diesal requirements but still require an HTHS of greater than 3.5."

If it's the same as yours, that would be a good choice. I favor the higher HTHS numbers myself.

I hesitate to recommend oils I don't use too. In general though, I think an ACEA A3 oil is stouter than an non rated one of the same weight. JMHO though.
Last edited by trajan
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:
Trajan, what type of driving do you do, I remember corresponding with a member on BITOG about a particular 0W-20 motor oil that was rated for 25,000 miles or 1 year under normal service and 15,000 miles or one year under sever service, he asked me how many miles I drove the car a day, I said 20 miles to work and 20 miles back home, he recommended a 7500 mile OCI.

This person was a member of Terry Dyson's Blog, and he did not try to push Biosyn on me.

It's a car built for high speed/high rpm driving all day Smile

But seriously now. Most of my driving is highway. I'm about 1/2 mile or less from an expressway. Usually shift @2-2.5k, but once in awhile I rip it to 6k or do the Itailian tuneup.

No track days. But I average about 20K miles a year. (Bought it 4/06 with 10,300 miles, just turned 113,000 today.)
quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:

It's a car built for high speed/high rpm driving all day Smile

But seriously now. Most of my driving is highway. I'm about 1/2 mile or less from an expressway. Usually shift @2-2.5k, but once in awhile I rip it to 6k or do the Itailian tuneup.

No track days. But I average about 20K miles a year. (Bought it 4/06 with 10,300 miles, just turned 113,000 today.)

Since you do Highway Driving, I am guessing your driving at least 30 miles or so one way, and about 30 miles back, regardless of how many miles you drive on the highway, this is not stop and go driving, so 8000 mile OCI's should be fine.

If this car were seeing mostly stop and go driving or short trips then I would be more concerned with the oil choice. JMO
The only thing with RP, is they keep the HTHS a secret, but if the 0W-40 meets A3 spec., It would be a good bet it will meet LL-01. I have started using Synthetics in just about everything now, although Dino's are just about as good. The Wife's Altima is filled with PYB for a 3000 OCI (because I received a few jugs from a friend). She does a lot of short trips. Next OCI will be PP or PU.

I have not been scalloping in a few years, so should be fun. My Sister decided not to sell her 330Ci, so I am using some of my saved money for me and the Wife. She is getting new rims and tires for the Altima, I got cams and headers for the Titan.

Dave
The LL-01 is a different spec then A3. You get one free oil change per year or 15,000 miles, which ever comes first, so they have that spec.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedi...009/RP/PC/index.html

Now that I'm out of warranty, I can bend on the LL spec. But if I do decide to go 10k between changes, then I'd lean towards it.

But still, the RP is a viable choice. Nice to have a boatload of good oil to choose from.
quote:
Originally posted by Deltona_Dave:
From what I have read, A3 is one of the requirements of the LL spec.

There are quite a few quality, off the shelf oils that will meet your needs.

The RP seems to keep my Titan happy, although I have only had it in for 200 miles. I don't know if the extra cost is worth it, as platinum works as good in the VK56DE.

Dave

It is a requirement, but if you look at the link and compare the two (ACEA A3 with BMW LL-01), you'll see a bit of difference.

Kind of like how all poodles are dogs, but not all dogs are poodles. (M1 High Mileage 10w-40 is ACEA A3, but not LL-01, for example.)

One reason I started this was to look for and discuss a viable alternative/s. I didn't know RP made a 0w-40.

Thanks to you, now I know of another worthy oil Smile
quote:
Summit Racing carries it, but I am sure it can be found cheaper elsewhere. I am still learning about the different man. specifications. Some of the articles I have read until my eyes bleed.

BTW, the 5w-30 and 40 is only A-2. The 0w-40 is A3.

Dave

Eyes bleed and head spin. Probably why it's just so much easier to look at BMWNA's list. They did all the work for me.

But what would be the fun it that? (HEHE)
I hear ya Big Grin

I think any of the oils you listed will work fine in the Bimmer. If I could "will" myself to going 10K OCI's I would run RP or GC all the time in the Titan. But I am conservative and run 5-6K on syn and 3-4K on dino juice.

These Jim Wolf cams have made a big difference on the Titan. Mid-range power band is much wider. I will find out tomorrow how they handle tugging a 19' Key West flats boat (My buddy lets me borrow it).

Dave
quote:
I hear ya Big Grin

I think any of the oils you listed will work fine in the Bimmer. If I could "will" myself to going 10K OCI's I would run RP or GC all the time in the Titan. But I am conservative and run 5-6K on syn and 3-4K on dino juice.

These Jim Wolf cams have made a big difference on the Titan. Mid-range power band is much wider. I will find out tomorrow how they handle tugging a 19' Key West flats boat (My buddy lets me borrow it).

Dave

Thw M1 0w-40, the two Castrols I've used, so I know they work, The others are hard to find. I've seen the Pento at a National Auto. Everything else looks like mail order.

Nothing wrong with being conservative. You beefed up the motor, so it's a good thing anyway. You already use quality oil/filter, so you're good.

Sometimes I want to get more HP. But every BMW forum I look at says the same thing. Forced induction. The stock engine is pretty much maxed out as it is, so a software update/CAI/headers/catback will only give about 3-5 more.

Anyway, enjoy the weekend!!!
Wow, this is a whole lot of churn just to sort out what goes into your grocery-getter.

There is a dirty little aspect no one mentions here (because they may not be aware?) The formulation 'meets the spec', yippee. Pop open the bubbly. Does the batch in the bottle meet it? Are you buying from a company that plays the 'test until you get a pass, then put that on the CofA' game? What are their data handling guidelines for replicate results that are outside of acceptable test precision limits?

Since no one I know of gives you batch data unless you buy in bulk, you may be buying a pig in a poke.
quote:
Originally posted by Lamont B Dumont:
Wow, this is a whole lot of churn just to sort out what goes into your grocery-getter.

There is a dirty little aspect no one mentions here (because they may not be aware?) The formulation 'meets the spec', yippee. Pop open the bubbly. Does the batch in the bottle meet it? Are you buying from a company that plays the 'test until you get a pass, then put that on the CofA' game? What are their data handling guidelines for replicate results that are outside of acceptable test precision limits?

Since no one I know of gives you batch data unless you buy in bulk, you may be buying a pig in a poke.
You mean like the Mobil 1 API Certified 5w30 that Exxon said passed the API engine wear tests, yet when BP and Ashland tested the "same" product off the shelf, it failed the API engine wear spec miserably and showed 4 to 8 times more wear than the Castrol and Valvoline products?
LAMONT....
"Wow, this is a whole lot of churn just to sort out what goes into your grocery-getter.

There is a dirty little aspect no one mentions here (because they may not be aware?) The formulation 'meets the spec', yippee. Pop open the bubbly. Does the batch in the bottle meet it? Are you buying from a company that plays the 'test until you get a pass, then put that on the CofA' game? What are their data handling guidelines for replicate results that are outside of acceptable test precision limits?"

"Since no one I know of gives you batch data unless you buy in bulk, you may be buying a pig in a poke."

TIM..
"You mean like the Mobil 1 API Certified 5w30 that Exxon said passed the API engine wear tests, yet when BP and Ashland tested the "same" product off the shelf, it failed the API engine wear spec miserably and showed 4 to 8 times more wear than the Castrol and Valvoline products?"
----------------------------------------------

Tajan Said.....
Nice to see you both have oils suggestions.
Oh, wait........... you don't.[/QUOTE]

I guess if you were a little more perceptive,Trajan....you would realize they both do have a suggestion...................that would be........to rethink your final decision about who the "winner is" as you stated earlier. They both know something about oil,you apparently..........don't.

I am not really sure what this thread is about since you have basically answered your own question in your first post. You already have stated that you use GC or M1. What oil decision are you looking for....................to change to another brand after all these years!

Why don't you take your own advice,Trajan............and ask BMW! Why ask us!!! What do we Know! BMW IS YODA IN YOUR CASE! SO USE THEIR APPROVED OIL,AND BE DONE WITH IT!

Your Quote...

"Engine makers know more about their engines than anyone. So I'm a big proponent of using mfg approved oil in my engine."

ENOUGH SAID............
I guess we could say the knife cuts both ways. What guarantee does a person have buying oil that claims to meet all certifications, yet doesn't participate in the program?

It is real easy to say you meet/exceed when you're not a member of that group that bothers with the API certs, because it costs too much. At least the major oil companies have some guidelines they have to follow, and have the API to answer to.

Notice I didn't mention any company names? There's a reason. Smile

AD
No Tim, I'm talking batch data, not formulation data. But you knew that.

Engine stand testing is a funny business because many of those tests are so complex that it is really easy to get a false fail (especially if that's what you wanted in the first place) but practically impossible to get a false pass. That is why those are some of the rare cases where it is an ethically valid practice to test until you pass.

With the possible exception of D 2272 for industrial oils, very few tests that would be used for batch certification fall into that category. Batch tests of necessity tend to fall into the 'go-no go' category.

Pulling a single batch and running a complex engine test once doesn't give you any useful data unless it's a pass in most cases.

Isn't it time for your Amsoil drum circle or something?
quote:
Originally posted by Lamont B Dumont:

Lamont, I have a question, if I am choosing between 2 oil's and they both have tests is it fair to say that these tests are just pure Marketing to try and get me to buy there oil.

Would it be better to compare 2 different motor oil's by looking at each motor oil's PRODUCT DATA SHEETS.

I could then compare 40 Degree Celcius and 100 Degree Celcius Numbers

I could compare Flash Point and Pour Points.

I could compare HTHS Numbers as well as how both oil's do in the so called Cold Pumpability Test.
quote:
I guess we could say the knife cuts both ways. What guarantee does a person have buying oil that claims to meet all certifications, yet doesn't participate in the program?

It is real easy to say you meet/exceed when you're not a member of that group that bothers with the API certs, because it costs too much. At least the major oil companies have some guidelines they have to follow, and have the API to answer to.

Notice I didn't mention any company names? There's a reason. Smile

AD

One thing to make a claim. Different ball game when you have to prove it.

The oils I listed not only claim it, but can prove it. Unlike, well, you know, that oil that can't meet it's advertised weight.

The links BLK listed really intrigued me. All good oils. Just couldn't convince myself to go with that weight.

Thanks to those who made the suggestions before I chose what I did.
quote:
quote:

One thing to make a claim. Different ball game when you have to prove it.

So true. Very easy to sit safely on the sidelines and say what you'd do if you were in the game. Stating you're the best, but since you're not part of it you enjoy the easy life having nothing to prove.

AD

What game! The game of politics? The only real game,the only real proving ground......is the market place,and how the masses play,or not!

If a product is not what it claims,the market place will brutally shoot it down! There is no easy life in the real world,Ad!
Its easy when you decide not to participate in certifications then claim you exceed them. Seems the market place decided that Mobil is #1, and everyone compares themselves to Mobil 1.

True there is no easy life in the real world, but some companies try and make it easier and cheaper by shooting their mouths off that they're the best but not playing in the game.

AD
quote:
Its easy when you decide not to participate in certifications then claim you exceed them.

AD

Which brings to mind the following:

Keep in mind that unlike standard oil industry approvals, where an oil can get a grade by being within a range of criteria, OEM-approved oils use a set of standards that have been tested on your vehicle and been proven to work. I would be surprised if a company that uses the term "exceeds" spent the money to have an OEM test its oil only to receive a letter that says, "We're sorry but your product is too good, we can't offer you approval." The same thing holds true with the use of the term "meets." Since the other oil companies don't spend the time and money to have the OEM, how would they know it meets the requirement? Plus, if it did really meet the requirement then it would be an approved oil.

Some people like to cry foul and say that they don't think it's right for a car manufacturer to dictate what type of oil to use, especially if another oil company says their product exceeds their specifications. The other oil company might throw up some test and show some proof that their oil is superior to an approved oil brand. But there really is only one test for approval and that's the real-world test, which includes extensive testing of emissions, oxidation, wear-and-tear distribution on moving metal-to-metal parts, fuel economy, and severe wear-and-tear testing (about 600 hours of continued use) on your type of vehicle.

I even told one purveyor of a certain oil that, provided he buy the engine, I'd use his oil. I'd even spring for the Dyson lab work.

The fact that he declined shows the level of faith in his product.
API certs. good or bad are a starting point and help the consumer. Maybe not the greatest testing in the world, but they are something. Sitting back not participating then tooting your own horn IMO about how great a product is would be a bunch of BS.

You want to make claims the product is better then get into the game. I can home brew my own oil and say how great it is too, putting my money where my mouth is would be another story. Since these companies claim these tests are expensive I see that as a half truth and an easy way out. Oh yea and a way to increase profit...............My $.02

AD
Trajan said....
quote:
I even told one purveyor of a certain oil that, provided he buy the engine, I'd use his oil. I'd even spring for the Dyson lab work.

The fact that he declined shows the level of faith in his product.

-----------------------------------------

Using your nutty logic Trajan,would that also apply to Goodyear tire as well if they didn't buy you a car if you promised to install their tires?

Let's also ask Mobil(using your logic-or lack of) to buy you a car if you promise to gas up for ten years with their fuel-with a signed contract even. That would be the most equitable agreement possible,and guess what Xom(mobil) would still tell you......

In sum........using, 'your logic',Goodyear tires are junk,and so is Mobil gas?

Any other brilliant conclusions Trajan,we're all on the edge of our seats!
quote:
API certs. good or bad are a starting point and help the consumer. Maybe not the greatest testing in the world, but they are something. Sitting back not participating then tooting your own horn IMO about how great a product is would be a bunch of BS.

You want to make claims the product is better then get into the game. I can home brew my own oil and say how great it is too, putting my money where my mouth is would be another story. Since these companies claim these tests are expensive I see that as a half truth and an easy way out. Oh yea and a way to increase profit...............My $.02

AD

Well Ad,what is stopping you? You too can get into the business as a tribologist/oil blender. Show'em how it's done! I bet those fees would make you think twice when it really cuts into your bottom line.

Why not just put the money into making a better product instead,like some are doing........and quite well at that!

Now, what I can't figure out, is.......Big oil with it's deep pockets should have no problems making the Best motor oil lube............SO WHY DON'T THEY?

Aren't they(big oil) already making more than enough from selling fuel.......to us! What gives! I have to buy their lousy gas...........and oil too! Instead,I will support the little guy making a quality lube product!
Well Kirk I look at it this way, at least with the certs the consumer has something to go by. Vs. dealers trying to make a buck pushing a product that isn't certified. Lets use beef for an example, I'd rather have "Grade A Beef" that passed USDA standards than something imported from a country that has no standards at all. I trust the USDA before someone who is paid selling non cert. meat, telling me its good beef. No thanks!

AD
quote:
Well Kirk I look at it this way, at least with the certs the consumer has something to go by. Vs. dealers trying to make a buck pushing a product that isn't certified. Lets use beef for an example, I'd rather have "Grade A Beef" that passed USDA standards than something imported from a country that has no standards at all. I trust the USDA before someone who is paid selling non cert. meat, telling me its good beef. No thanks!

AD

There is No comparison between between food and a man made product,like motor oil. You don't eat motor oil,you blend it from base stocks.

"dealers trying to make a buck"--------What about the major bucks big oil is making,and it's all certified too!........Doesn't it feel so much better when you're getting..... "officially robbed" by a certified robber!

Show me where the lack of any API "CERTS",has led to any legal,or quality issues with motor oil products.
quote:

There is No comparison between between food and a man made product,like motor oil. You don't eat motor oil,you blend it from base stocks.

"dealers trying to make a buck"--------What about the major bucks big oil is making,and it's all certified too!........Doesn't it feel so much better when you're getting..... "officially robbed" by a certified robber!

Show me where the lack of any API "CERTS",has led to any legal,or quality issues with motor oil products.

As far as food, man raises, cares for, and feeds the animal, then kills it, and brings it to market. Ever eat beef in Mexico?

Here we go with proof, show me proof the non certified oil is better? Not sales propaganda, or bogus tests.

AD
What are these guys(API) really all about...

The association’s chief functions on behalf of the industry include advocacy and negotiation with governmental, legal, and regulatory agencies; research into economic, toxicological, and environmental effects; establishment and certification of industry standards;

Lobbying

API has spent more than $3 million annually for each the last five years (2005 to 2009) on lobbying, and $3.6 million in 2009.[3] In API’s latest quarterly “Lobbying Report” submitted to the US Senate, the organization reported that it had 16 lobbyists supporting it to lobby on various Congressional activities.[4]

http://www.api.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A..._Petroleum_Institute

SOUND LIKE POLITICS TO ME! JUST ANOTHER BUREAUCRACY!

This reminds me of how BP got "certified" just before the well blew out!
quote:
quote:

As far as food, man raises, cares for, and feeds the animal, then kills it, and brings it to market. Ever eat beef in Mexico?

Here we go with proof, show me proof the non certified oil is better? Not sales propaganda, or bogus tests.

AD

Funny how he cries about oil makers and "major bucks." When this "synlube", even on ebay, costs more than three times what M1 costs from say, Pep Boys.

Haven't seen a VOA where M1 failed. Seen synlube ones though.
Lamont- You sound just like my uncle with the F series Ford. He says "for the most vehicles PYB, Mobil 5000, GTX, or any good dino would have made his old Ford last just as long as the very best A*******l brew." He doesn't buy into salesman's tales, or marketing hype.

He says use the recommended grade oil, change it, change the filters, and drive. I remember him asking a know it all type pushing expensive oil to prove him wrong, he's still waiting. I'm glad he set me straight, for a while I fell for he hype.

AD
quote:

He says use the recommended grade oil, change it, change the filters, and drive.

AD

Good advice. I use what I do not because it's a "special" car, but because that is what is called for.

If it was spec'd for dino oil, I'd use that. That's what I used in every other car from the 1964 Buick to the 1997 Camaro.

A $32 bottle of goo? Not when what I know works is only $6.27
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trajan:

Even the 2010 Camaro V6 uses dino. If dino oils were bad, no car maker would spec them for engines. No one would buy them.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/...gine+specifications&

All that wonderful engine technology,and then install low tech oil? No,thanks!

Oh,wait............looks like I was right after-all about using synthetic in the V6 Camaro...I knew Gm wouldn't make such a bad choice with motor oil of all things........

//////Engine- (GM recomends using synthetic engine oil)
LS3/L99: 8.0 qts........5W-30 Synthetic Oil(GM uses Mobil 1)
V6: 6.0 qts........5W-30 Synthetic Oil(GM uses Mobil 1)
^^Capacities are WITH replacement of oil filter
LS3/L99 Oil Filter: ACDelco PF48.........K&N HP-1017........Napa Gold 7060
V6: ACDelco PF2129............K&N HP-7003........Napa Gold 7090///////////

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49508

QUOTES FOR THE NAYSAYERS OF SYNTHETIC OIL.........

"As a past GM tech, I have pulled apart 100k mile engines that were "synthetic since birth" and 100k mile engines that were dino-based users... I believed in synthetic long before I started tearing down motors, but the proof I saw sealed the deal. "
Last edited by captainkirk
And yet.......... no synlube is spec'd by any car maker.

GM 6094M is not the the synthetic oil spec so if your owners manual says that then is came with mineral oil, not synthetic.

GM4718M is General Motors' High Performance engine oil specification. Oils which meet GM4718M tend to be made from synthetic base stocks, so it is often referred to as a "synthetic" specification.

However, not all oils, synthetic or otherwise, are capable of meeting the stringent requirements of GM4718M.
Last edited by trajan
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Kirk:
quote:

Show me a lawsuit/FTC,ETC,that says not to use it.

Also,show me any-mfg, stipulating.....not-to-use synthetic oil,but to ONLY use MINERAL BASED OILS. SHOW ME THAT ONE!!!!

Never claimed there was a lawsuit that said one could not. What I said was/is the following:

No synlube is spec'd by any carmaker.
Last edited by trajan
quote:

Never claimed there was a lawsuit that said one could not. What I said was/is the following:

No synlube is spec'd by any carmaker.

Nor is............ Motul,Amsoil,Royal Purple,Torco,lubro moly,Neo synthetic,Redline,etc,etc.

Yet,these are all very good lubricants....Much better than what the Avg motorist has installed in their engines....

AND YOUR POINT IS....TRAJAN....

OH LOOK,GM ENDORSES WALMART BRAND OIL,AND OTHER OILS BLENDED BY BIG-OIL COMPANIES.............POLITICS AGAIN!!!

http://www.gm.com/corporate/re...oved_engine_oils.pdf

TRAJAN..............KEEP DRINKING THE KOOL-AID........
quote:
quote:

Show me a lawsuit/FTC,ETC,that says not to use it.

Also,show me any-mfg, stipulating.....not-to-use synthetic oil,but to ONLY use MINERAL BASED OILS. SHOW ME THAT ONE!!!!

And show us that car you claim exists down the street with the engine that was ruined by running Synlube.

We have been waiting months for your proof.

Well?
And he calls us liars!

None of them here can get over the fact that you are successfully running Synlube in your vehicles. They love to mention that it costs $32. per bottle, cenveniently not mentioning that you return it and a new supply is sent to you prepaid and no charge in replacement every 50 000 miles! No other company in the World does that!
quote:
Originally posted by inHaliburton:
And he calls us liars!

None of them here can get over the fact that you are successfully running Synlube in your vehicles. They love to mention that it costs $32. per bottle, cenveniently not mentioning that you return it and a new supply is sent to you prepaid and no charge in replacement every 50 000 miles! No other company in the World does that!

--------------------------------------------

Thanks,inHaliburton.......these guys are old school. One even talks about what his 'Uncle recommends'. My uncles ask me,not the other way around.

I bet these guys are from the same stock that thought 100k platinum spark plugs were impossible,let alone 200k iridium plugs. How about 100k tires and brakes......must have sounded crazy at one time.

What I can't figure out is that none of them get the fact they could just install-drain-refill, just like the stuff they use now(every 5-8k),and send in for 100% credit..thus almost free oil in the long-run,if they are afraid of 50k OCI's.

My prediction for the future is that the automakers will install lifetime oil,and lifetime(over-sized-integrated oil filters) because of all the environmental issues.....give it a few more years! They already are doing it with fuel filters,it's part of the pump module.

The fuel filter-pump module system was only really an issue in the beginning if someone went to fill up at a 'mom-n-pop' gas station with sediment laden fuel. Now days people go 150k with those things,no problem.
Kirk my uncle is someone I respect, who is extremely knowledgeable, and in tune with facts. He's not some shill on a message board, who talks to himself. There are many respectable people here who know the product is a hoax.

When you log 275,000 + miles let us know. I read your threads you haven't come close yet.

I do commend you on your new tactic to shill your product thought, nice approach. Did you get those business issues resolved and establish a business location yet? Or is the business location and mailing address still classified?

AD
Lamont, I have the greatest respect for you and your ilk. Your knowledge is first-rate and few can question what you post. Similarly, I respect Capt. Kirk who is using a contraversial product. All he is doiing is giving us his personal experience with said product, and his opinions on sludge formation. I also agree with his vision of the future, which could have been yesteryear if it could have been more profitable for big oil than the usual 5- to 8-thousand kilometer oil change intervals we enjoy up here in the Great White North. When that era arrives, we can expect to pay much more for permanant oils to make up for the lack of OCIs on new vehicles. I can recall when cars were assembled without grease nipples and at the time I was positive that it would mean big problems for my car. Of course, I have yet to experience such a problem.
I will agree with that. If Kirk uses Syn-Lube and has good luck with it, hey, no problem. I prefer a good name brand oil that is API certified. I have a hard time buying products from a vehicle trunk (the old speaker scam comes to mind). I really would not have a hard time with S-L-4_life, if the website was not from 1996. Anyone with a little computer knowledge can make a decent site with DreamWeaver and cold fusion.

I prefer a quality oil that I can find on the shelf.

Dave
quote:
[QUOTE]
And verifiable, third party tests.

If your certified oils are so good, why do you find it necessary to use that black ARX gunk.

BTW, I used that stuff on my first Focus at about 200 000 km. Had to dig the stuff out of the bottle because it had gone solid just like sludge. Either my engine was pristine, or that stuff did not do as advertised because I noticed no difference whatsoever, except my bank account was somewhat lighter...

I still have 2 bottles. Anyone want them
Well said Lamont. You are right.

Engines today are outlasting the rest of the car. Cars today require such little maintenance. Oils today are better than ever.

I have the greatest respect for XOM's marketing. Much more professional than many of the other companies.

I'm at least glad to see Shell is using the Seq IIIG & IVA instead of the 4- ball wear test to make wear claims. LOL
Well Trajan, as I have told you and the masses at least 5 times since the turn of the year why I will not used Synlube. I cannot use Synlube until warranty is up because the OCI is 5 000 kms.

At the rate I am going, it will not be very long. I drove the truck off the lot May 4th. I now have over 15 000 kms on the odometer. Frankly, I cannot wait for the day when I will install a add-on oil filter system and be able to choose an oil that will not have to be changed for 10s of thousands of kms. I am fed up with this oil change interval of 5- to 8-thousand kms. I am in and out of the jiffy lubes every 2 or 3 weeks.
How long does a car last........?

Consumer Reports ( www.consumerreports.org/) says the average life expectancy of a new vehicle these days is around 8 years or 150,000 miles.

That would be 50 iffy-lube visits for the average motorist! NOT ME! NO THANKS!

My wife loves the fact she never has to have her car serviced for an oil change..........I agree!

We just gas-n-go! Wash-n-wax! Everything is synthetic,even the brake fluid!
Read through all the synlube threads out on the web, and you get alot of claims.

But hard data, that you can actually verify, is rare. So rare that Indiana Jones would die of old age before he found it.

The promoters seem to tell us to keep an open mind..... ok is looking for evidence an example of a closed mind?? Now maybe those that just fell off the turnip truck will automatically believe all sales pitches... that seems to be the nature of most scams.

Anecdotes are no substitute for the lengthy and grueling testing that other oils are subjected to. And no one has presented a shred of evidence that SYNLUBE can pass these tests even once, let alone forever.
Last edited by trajan
quote:
Read through all the synlube threads out on the web, and you get alot of claims.

But hard data, that you can actually verify, is rare. So rare that Indiana Jones would die of old age before he found it.

The website is a travesty. Very poor example of marketing and information.

You don't claim that a police department uses the stuff, and not provide anything to back it up.

You don't claim to pass tests, and fail to provide anything to back it up.

Other than that, the threads here and at bitog speak volumes about this "oil".

"""MFG approved engine/trans/diff oil"""---Does that include -AR-X?

SYNLUBE HAS ALL THE PROOF I NEED! I DO BELIEVE THE PROOF YOU SPEAK OF, WAS PROVIDED TAJAN!

WOULD YOU LIKE AN INVITATION TRAJAN,PLUS DINNER AND A MOVIE-MAYBE.. A FEW COCKTAILS? SEVERAL FREE CASES OF THE STUFF? YOU'VE ALREADY ASKED FOR A FREE ENGINE--JUST TO TRY IT! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?
Up here 50 trips by the time you get outta there is at least $50. for easy math. Thats for bottom end dino probably out of the gun, so who knows what the stuff is. Do you believe the hype from the kid who is trying to upsell you. Anyway, that works out to $2500, plus 15% HST = $2875. Round if off to $3000. Sure makes Synlube look like a bargoonie at $32 per bottle.
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Kirk:

"""MFG approved engine/trans/diff oil"""---Does that include -AR-X?

Capt., he will never answer why he is using ARX. You know the drill. Got to be a reason for sure cuz the stuff is way over priced for doing nothing. I know cuz I got sucked in with the all the hype over on BOBALOO 4 years ago. He is trying to clean up the engine from using that BMW goop they tell the non-thinkers to use. You have to use it during warranty even if it is no good, hence, his filty engine. That is the only reason to use ARX. He know darn well if he was using Synlube he would have saved a bundle and have a pristine engine just like yours!
Last edited by inhaliburton
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by inHaliburton:
Well Trajan, as I have told you and the masses at least 5 times since the turn of the year why I will not used Synlube. I cannot use Synlube until warranty is up because the OCI is 5 000 kms.

At the rate I am going, it will not be very long. I drove the truck off the lot May 4th. I now have over 15 000 kms on the odometer. Frankly, I cannot wait for the day when I will install a add-on oil filter system and be able to choose an oil that will not have to be changed for 10s of thousands of kms. I am fed up with this oil change interval of 5- to 8-thousand kms. I am in and out of the jiffy lubes every 2 or 3 weeks.

Why worry? According to many people here the oil can't void the warranty, the car maker would have to prove the oil is at fault if the engine takes a dump and dies.

Since synlube is such a fantastic oil, and Kirk pours into his new vehicles with no worry, and runs extended drains in new cars, why should you worry? Go for it if you have that much faith in the product. A Shipmate pal of mine dropped the Factory Fill in his new F250 and went with RL 5W20, a non certified oil w/o any fear. Oh yea RL is a real company with an actual street location.

AD

That would mean that he actually has the courage of his convictions. Never seen such rabid defense of a product by one who doesn't/is too scared to use it.
Last edited by trajan
quote:
[QUOTE]
Why worry? According to many people here the oil can't void the warranty, the car maker would have to prove the oil is at fault if the engine takes a dump and dies.

Since synlube is such a fantastic oil, and Kirk pours into his new vehicles with no worry, and runs extended drains in new cars, why should you worry? Go for it if you have that much faith in the product. A Shipmate pal of mine dropped the Factory Fill in his new F250 and went with RL 5W20, a non certified oil w/o any fear. Oh yea RL is a real company with an actual street location.

AD

AD, a touch of sarcasm. Easy there... Wink

Well, bully for you friend. That's his truck and he's welcome to do what he wants, just like me. Nope, makes no sense to not change the oil for 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 thousand miles. The numbers get real big when transforming to metric. Believe me, the Ford crowd up here are not into very long OCIs. If something with wrong with the motor or driveline, they would laugh me out of the service department if I go in there looking for warranty and can't prove that the oil had been changed every 5 000 kms. Not worth the risk. I can wait. It's unlikely that I'll have a warranty issue with the engine. I've not has one in more than 20 years. Can't remember having an issue ever with the engine or tranny. Mostly recalls over the years.
quote:

That would mean that he actually has the courage of his convictions. Never seen such rabid defense of a product by one who doesn't/is too scared to use it.

The big bucks you've been throwing away for all those additives you've been dumping in that dirty engine of yours to clean it up after using that crumby BMW-authorized oil you been using will easily pay for loading up the truck when and if decide to switch to Synlube.

That hocky stuff you are using is not necessary if you use a quality synthetic motor oil and quality oil filter and change according to your operating manual. That's simple, basic, logical maintenance.
For those of you who think that ARX is cleaning up your engine by virtue of the filter media.....

QUOTED..
"ARX's lanolin esters are semi-solid and rather large particles. I have filtered the virgin product with coffee filters which caught a lot of these particles on the filter. It looked like jelly and I think that this is what you are seeing here."

THE LINK

fficial%26channel%3Ds%26ndsp%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/imgres?i...%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1
They'll call it a small problem, replace the filter and send the customer a qt of oil. Once the oil lite comes on the damage has been done. It might not be immediate, and that's Amsoil's out, but damage has been done.

How much once again Amsoi's out and anyones's guess. A year two down the road if the car starts blowing smoke or using oil you think Amsoil will help? I don't.

I'll stick with what I can buy locally and change when the mfg suggests. Extended drain oils and filters are not my cup of tea.

Good point Trajan: The last thing Miro wants is anything floating to the surface about his oil. Somethings are best left at the bottom of the sea!

AD
quote:

I'll stick with what I can buy locally and change when the mfg suggests. Extended drain oils and filters are not my cup of tea.
AD

No reasonable person should have a problem with that. Quality dino/synth oil and filter along with a reasonable oci is the way to go.

Too many links have been posted that show what happens when you don't.

I'm going to try a 10K oci with a filter change when I add oil. (Burn a qt @6k)
Trajan quoted..
quote:
I'm going to try a 10K oci with a filter change when I add oil. (Burn a qt @6k)

AAHHH...the truth comes out once again! You burn oil,and have sludge/varnish issues(You admit to using A-RX).............GOTCHA !!!!!

So, let's sum up your "STELLAR" results with this..........the so called "MFG APPROVED OIL" you're using and swear by.... is really working out well I see.......engine is burning the stuff,and the oil also sludge/varnishes up the engine. All those 'expensive' oil changes with your "Approved oil",and all the flushes,rinses,chemicals,TCW3 in the fuel(don't tell BMW/EPA),etc,etc,............SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE PROVEN MY POINT QUITE WELL-conventional wisdom/techniques don't work so well...do they!

The above issues Trajan is dealing with,is the reason why I use Synlube.

I have zero sludge,zero varnish,(zero oil burning/loss/evaporation),no chemicals or flushes ever needed,and No worries!
These are all quotes from the 'other site',where everyone is still hung up on VOA,and lab results being unreliable.
-------------------------------------
"As for “simple” VOA and UOA Lab results, they are traditionally variable. Those from Oil Company Labs when testing their own products are certainly better. At a recent visit to Daimler AG in Unterturkheim, I was assured that they do their own VOAs on FF lubricants as a matter of course. Variances in supply quality do occur!

and the 0w-40 is not synthetic basestock? also, viscosity as published is an average value not an exact one. look at

Yes. Most oil companies give averages on their PDS sheets and UOA's all depend on the calibration of the test equipment and which human did them. I've had VOA's done in the past where I questioned the additive level. Resent samples three times from the same bottle and got back three different answers. All within the 10% range

The Blackstone 100C vis of 13.36 cSt is quite a bit off the M1 PDS spec' of 14.0 cSt (used to be 14.3 in the not too distant past).
That's something to keep in mind when reviewing UOAs from this lab particularly when assessing how shear prone M1 0W-40 is reported to be.

This seems to happen far too often. I know VOA/UOA are relatively inexpensive via Blackstone but having to send out a sample to verify a sketchy result does add up. It seems the adage "you get what you pay for" does apply to oil analyses. "

VOA's are not a good way to answer your question Shup1. They are good to have for reference in comparison to UOA's to see what changes occured during use. You cannot rate an oil bt its VOA

Some might be close, but when a VOA is even over a year old, it's pretty much old news. When a VOA is 4+ years old, there is almost 100% certainty it been changed by the formulator. Driven by improvement, specification chasing, cost, new and discontinued additives - lubricant formulas change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAVE YOUR MONEY GUYS. ......ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS IS LONG TERM PERFORMANCE,AND ACTUAL RESULTS!!! THOSE TESTS(VOA/UOA) ARE CERTAINLY GOOD AT DRAINING YOUR WALLETS-IF NOTHING ELSE! THAT'S WHY I HAVE NEVER BOTHERED!
quote:
Kirk- I hardly think Trajan has a problem. Burning a qt of oil in 6000 miles is not considered a problem. A car mfg considers oil consumption a problem when an engine uses more than 1 qt/1000 miles, anything else is considered normal.

AD

You're right. It isn't a problem. It's far from a problem. The dealer doesn't see it as a problem. My mechanic doesn't. People who own and drive these cars, unlike kirk, don't see it as a problem.

No synlube, no worries.
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ADFD1:
Kirk- I hardly think Trajan has a problem. Burning a qt of oil in 6000 miles is not considered a problem. A car mfg considers oil consumption a problem when an engine uses more than 1 qt/1000 miles, anything else is considered normal.

AD

You're right. It isn't a problem. It's far from a problem. The dealer doesn't see it as a problem. My mechanic doesn't. People who own and drive these cars, unlike kirk, don't see it as a problem.

-------------------------------------------

Well...then your all blind...or ignoring the obvious! Your engines are not in stellar condition.

If I were the dealer, I would also tell you the car is fine,and then say........"have a nice day and be sure to come back when the warranty runs out--and your ready for an engine overhaul"............OUT OF WARRANTY OF COURSE! LOL
Just a simple question:

Why is $46,000 car worth only $14,000 when it runs out of the 4 year 50,000 miles Warranty ?

That is the $32,000 question !!!

May be there is reason for it = it is BMW....

The Ultimate sucker machine, and the fact that it sucks oil too; is just part of the "Unique owner Experience".

Infact BMW depreciation rate is just about the same as that of a HYUNDAI, i.e. in used car business it is valued the same, that alone should be a clue.

(Except for MINI which while sold by BMW dealers from spearate showroom is not real BMW - fortunately, and thus it has the hihgest reseale value in the car industry)
quote:
All cars depreciate, it's called reality. How about those Yugos? What a joke they were.

AD

The explaination goes over his head. He should also realize that, in time, many cars do increase in value. Depends on many things though.

A pristine 1969 Camaro with the right options is worth more than a new 2011 model. Today, an old Isetta, well, http://autos.aol.com/used-list...-BMW/model1-Isetta/, which is far more than it costs when new.

He's only frothing at the mouth due to the very harsh light we've thrown on synlube. and the product came up short.

I would also explain to him that the 15K service on a BMW is much more than a simple oil change. But that would go over his head too.

We all know what a Yugo is worth. Even an Edsel is worth far more.

I also see that, and there is no surprise there, that once again, he can't back his "claims".

A free hint miro. Making fun of BMW doesn't faze me. Just displays the on going ignorance you convey. Good for a laugh or two.

Yugos sell for what, $100, if that now?
Last edited by trajan
BMW uses low tension piston ring sets on purpose. They provide less parasitic drag on the cylinder walls and superior cylinder lubrication at high RPM high load. Small and large high specific output engines from many brands use this strategy. Not a problem. They are designed this way for A reason. Its not the oils fault they chose this engineering compromise.
KBB values based on real transaction prices in 2010

BLUE BOOK® PRIVATE PARTY VALUE
Close
Private Party Value
Kelley Blue Book Private Party Value is the amount a buyer can expect to pay when buying a used car from a private party. The Private Party Value assumes the vehicle is sold "As Is" and carries no warranty (other than any remaining factory warranty). The final sale price may vary depending on the vehicle's actual condition and local market conditions. This value may also be used to derive Fair Market Value for insurance and vehicle donation purposes.

1990 YUGO GV Value

Excellent $2,300
Good $2,150
Fair $1,650

Not bad for a car that was $5,225 MSRP and sold for about $4,900 in 1990 to be worth that much 20 years later.

This is data from the came company that depreciates BMW 62% in the first year of ownership, while MINI is worth 62% of its price 36 months later.

But still YUGO tops the list it is worth 41% of its original price (if not beat up) 20 years LATTER !!!

Compare that to most cars that are worth that much (less) just in 12 to 18 months !!!
Compare that with BMW and that is one of the "top" models: 2010 BMW M6
MSRP $$106,225.00
New 100% $102,350.00
2 45% $46,057.50
3 37% $37,869.50
4 30% $30,705.00
5 24% $24,564.00

It is 45% of its value after just 12 months, dont you wish you have YUGO ? It's value drops almost $4,000 even before it is driven off the dealer's lot - how is that for a "great" car ?
MY point of all of this is, in case you have missed it:

Great vehicles no matter the make or model retain its value over time.

Poor vehicles lose their value very very quickly.

As simple as that.

If BMW retained it's value Trajan would not be able to afford even the used one.

NO ONE Can argue with that, the data is there and available to every one, but if you elect to stick your head into a sand dune that of course is you privilege.

Similarily data is availalble about the problems conventional lubircants cause, like sludge, gel, varnish, excessive oil consumption, and so on.

I accept the fact that BMW may have "special" low tension rings, but that does not explain why cars converted to a better lubricant at low mileage DO NOT consume much oil, while those serviced at BMW for FREE do develop such "problem" when the warranty is over or in just 50,000 miles.

NO one seems to report that their car lost 2 quarts or more before the FIRST service was due, but by 45,000 iles the same vehicle "burns" oil - WHY ???

May be the 15,000 + service intervals are just TOO LONG for the stuff the BMW dealers use in these vehicles.

Clearly when the engine leaves the BMW assembly it is as perfect as can be, it is only latter that it develops the "oil consumption", so something DOES NOT last.

And if the oil you use makes a difference then of course it is lubrication related issue.

Well actually more like Tribological Issue as friction, wear and lubrication all play a role in that scenario.

And do not think of this as SynLube promotion, simple as I have stated before we have BMW customers that did not use the FREE BMW service and NONE have oil consumption issues, while those that waited for the FREE and WARRANTY to expire FIRST before they switched all are asking why is my car burning so much oil.

It is not one in many vehclies issue; it is statistically proveable trend with identical experience shared my many.

Just search the web -------
I find it quite funny reading this. Miro are you trying to say a Yugo is a better car than a BMW? Then trying to make the case for your oil?

Bad move, pick another car, YUGO was/is a POS. You're not selling your oil by pointing out that Yugo is a good car. People vote with their check books, and YGUO failed horribly in the USA. Anyone I ever heard talk about them called them throw away cars, and garbage. I think most here will agree?

Lets take a vote: Pick a car to own, anything from BMW, or anything from YUGO?

Then or now?

I'll sound off with BMW.

AD
Just to further the fact that miro doesn't know what he's talking about

Oil Service 15,000 miles

Replace oil and filter
Reset service indicator
Check front brake pads
Check rear brake pads
Check parking brake operation
Replace cabin air filter

Inspection 1 30,000 miles or 24 months (whatever is first)

The above, plus:

Check manual transmission fluid level. (If equipped)
Check all underhood componets/hoses for fluid leaks.
Check and drivebelts and replace if necessary.
Check steering and suspension components.
Check exhaust systems and mountings.
Check condition and operation of seatbelts.
Check headlight beam alignment.
Check operation of headlight/windshield washer system.
Check engine management system.
Road test.

45,000 miles/36 months

Repeat oil service.

60,000/48 months: Inspection II

repeat Ins 1
Replace spark plugs
Check drive shaft boots.

There's more to it,Like air filter changes, but it's more than the oil change he claims.

What he also doesn't mention is that the dealer arranges a loaner car for you. (I've had two 3 series sedans and a new Toyota Camry. The guy who owns the BMW dealership also owns the Toyota and Lexus dealership next to each other.)

You can of course wait at the dealer, but they give you a free loaner, so why bother.
quote:
BMW uses low tension piston ring sets on purpose. They provide less parasitic drag on the cylinder walls and superior cylinder lubrication at high RPM high load. Small and large high specific output engines from many brands use this strategy. Not a problem. They are designed this way for A reason. Its not the oils fault they chose this engineering compromise.

Very well said. Also, I didn't know that. Thanks!!
Last edited by trajan
quote:
Since the tolerances are so much better and engines tighter, I'd stay clear of that 50 grade oil you're pushing and follow mfg specs, using an approved oil.

No point mail ordering anything, pick a good synthetic oil from a reputable company and have at it.

AD

One of his own links states that one way to combat sludge is to use the correct viscosity. Using synlube in a Mustang isn't it.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Miro Kefurt:
My Drop to the bucket:

Just like oil will surface to the surface no matter what BP may claim about it, lies and deceptions will eventually surface too.

So synlube like..........

So Trajan like. Where's that engine belonging to you neighbour that sludged-up using Synlube, eh Big Mouth?

Well?
quote:

No synlube, no worries.

Dirty engine. Burns oil. Using ARX to fix. Blame the original owner. No problem. BMW says so. No problem. Mechanic say so. No problem. What me worry? Alfred E. Newman = Trajan.
6000 miles and a qt of oil is needed, come on guys lets get real. That is not oil burning.

With all the positive press 3 people are giving Synlube, only two of them are using it. One of them owns the company. The other a shill. How come no one else is stepping up to the plate? Probably because most people reading about it realize what it's all about.

AD
fowvay quote...

I used this stuff after reading an article in European Car. At least I think it was European Car magazine back then.... anyhoo...

I put it in my 1986 Jetta Diesel at 121,000 miles and installed a canton mecca remote oil filter at the same time. I changed the filter every 25,000 miles and added a quart of oil at that time.

I sold the car at 486,000 miles after it was rear ended by a Chevy Chevette doing 45mph. It still ran great and delivered a solid 42mpg in the city (redline to redline shifts) and averaged a healthy 52mpg at 70mph.

I did change the oil out every 50,000 miles as per there directions back in the early 90's and allthough extremly black it still was performing very well and there was no sludge build up anywhere.

I thought the company had fallen off the face of the Earth or had gone out of business. That is untill today when I came across a link to it from another website.

I will try it out first in our Ford Focus since it sees the most use. I will report back in 2 years when it had accumalted 50,000 miles and let you know the averages.
"How to" replace your broken antenna base | "How to" replace your brakes | "How to" remove your head lights
Fowvay2000 is offline Reply With Quote

jonny-b-quote

Hi, Gary Allan. I will also take a VOA and send it in together with the UOA. I have been driving 10000 km(6200 miles) now, since I filled my old Nissan with Synlube. All I can say now, is that this seem to be the best oil I have ever used. However, this is based on sounds from the engine being gradually reduced, how the engine idles and how I think it performs,as well as a slight reduction in fuelconsumption. I will do a lot of driving this summer, so I was planning to send in a UOA when I reach some 20K miles.
I also have ordered their gear oil, and already have their oil in the diff. I also ordered their microglass filter, and I will replace the OEM Nissan oil filter with this. I don't think you can go wrong, by using their products, but if anyone can give some info proving otherwise, I would be glad to know. In the meantime, I keep on driving to test it.

And Many,many others like myself and so forth have been using synlube for many years now.........
quote:
6000 miles and a qt of oil is needed, come on guys lets get real. That is not oil burning.

With all the positive press 3 people are giving Synlube, only two of them are using it. One of them owns the company. The other a shill. How come no one else is stepping up to the plate? Probably because most people reading about it realize what it's all about.

AD

Why doesn't inhaliburton step up to the plate???????

Yep. it's far from oil burning. Especially when you consider what BKL pointed out. Which I'll post again since they *still* don't get it:

*****Originally posted by BKL98MK8LSC:
BMW uses low tension piston ring sets on purpose. They provide less parasitic drag on the cylinder walls and superior cylinder lubrication at high RPM high load. Small and large high specific output engines from many brands use this strategy. Not a problem. They are designed this way for A reason. Its not the oils fault they chose this engineering compromise.*****

The problem these three have is that no one, either here or at bitog, is jumping on their bandwagon.

Still a mystery why one of the fans fears to use it. Or why the other two don't go after him.

Only someone who knows nothing about BMWs, or cars in general, would find 1qt/6k a problem.
A few years ago: http://www.pistonslap.com/tsb/010601011A.pdf

The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946
liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi). This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under
warranty, maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less
than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal
speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.

Oops, they've been skunked again.

They probably feel the same way about Mazda's rotary engine as well.

A sure fire sign you're burning oil is the cloud of blue smoke. Don't have that.

I should also point out that none of my three fans stuck their beaks in this thread until *after* I chose the oil. Very telling.
Last edited by trajan
quote:
quote:

Maybe kirk should read this again?

*******Originally posted by BKL98MK8LSC:
BMW uses low tension piston ring sets on purpose. They provide less parasitic drag on the cylinder walls and superior cylinder lubrication at high RPM high load. Small and large high specific output engines from many brands use this strategy. Not a problem. They are designed this way for A reason. Its not the oils fault they chose this engineering compromise. ********

I already explained the ring pressure issue. Here it is again.

This low ring pressure is not an engineering compromise.......it's an engineering achievement!

All engineering is a combination of compromises. It is possible to go to far with any of them. The best choices are a matter of constant debate and tend to become self evident over time through successes ,failures or plain mediocrity. Some companies are better at making these decisions than others. The same goes for oil companies and car companies.
Ah yes, ole jonny b. The guy who insulted anyone who dared question synlube. Or any other miracle in a can..... never did that VOA/UOA.

Just like inhaliburton. a guy who not only still defends a swill known as synlube, but is too scared, lacks the courage of his convictions, isn't man enough, to actually use it.

What can you expect from a child who, being that he lacks any ability, can only do things like make up lies. Find that thread you accussed me of inflicting ruin on yet? Oh, that's right, you made it up.
Last edited by trajan
I think we agree on some points. GM did not go with their own specification because they were happy with API. Being blown off for a period of years makes the general REAL unhappy. What their specific issues are I dont know but certainly it was something. Europe and japan have gone their own way and are not immune to problems. I think the elephant in the room that is causing issues is government regulations. Pressure to reduce waste streams to a minimum got the Europeans to specify long OCI and some got bit. Regulations on VOC emissions here have made crankcase ventilation systems very effective moisture traps. CAFE standards are pushing manufacturers to spec lighter oils than they would otherwise use,even if only slightly. Non of these are deal breakers when all you have to do is change your oil to fix it. Forcing 100000 mile catalytic converter life at the expense of safe reliable engine wear protection and sabotaging older engines with mechanical valve trains is a piss poor use of government power,however well intentioned. The engineering responses to regulation are as varied as can be,some are successful,some not. BMW is not immune to this. The crank case ventilation system on some models can fail in very cold weather and suck all the crankcase oil into the intake manifold and cause engine destruction. Not the oils fault unless you count water trapped in it. When the water freezes the valve fails. These may be the failures your referring to.
quote:
Originally posted by BLK98MK8LSC:

The crank case ventilation system on some models can fail in very cold weather and suck all the crankcase oil into the intake manifold and cause engine destruction. Not the oils fault unless you count water trapped in it. When the water freezes the valve fails. These may be the failures your referring to.

That is a problem in the colder climates. IIRC there is a cold climate version of it. It's insulated IIRC.

FWIW, "normal" PCV valves can have the same thing happen. For instance: http://www.subaruforester.org/...-ltd-heads-up-47434/

Not a problem I have though.
quote:
I wasnt picking on BMW but on the VOC emission regs that dictate sealed up tight crank cases. They trap moisture to the point of build up. Does depend on conditions.

I know, I just didn't see the need to quote the whole post Smile

You may find this of interest:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/foru...wthread.php?t=422965

"To cool the piston crowns directly, nearly all BMW engines are equipped with oil spray jets that moisten the piston crowns with engine oil."

I wasn't aware they had that feature.
Low tension rings for superior cylinder lube. Check.

Oil spray jets for the piston crowns. Check.

Very acceptable oil consumption rates as determined by the people who know what they're doing. Check.

Nobody buying what miro/kirk/inhal sell. Check.

Miro/kirk/inhal displaying their wealth of ignorance on such things. Check and mate.
OH took some time but finally found it the best car of all times ever sold in USA !!!

It is "nearly" worthless, so not as good as ZERO valued car would be:

Excellent $300
Good $225
Fair $138

1990 Sterling, and OH add Moon Roof which gets stuck in perpetually open position, and that reduces the value another $50.

After all it is superior feature to have "open" car that way more people can enjoy the incredible almost 10 times better than BMW engineering - correct after all it is worth 1/10 of 1990 M3......YA!!!

Why some (and the same) people have to always deny truth and reality? Because admitting they have made mistake or unsupported claim is so painful to them. But it also reveals their character, those that can not admit they are wrong or at least incorrect sometimes; do not have any character to speak of.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong !”
“All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed;
Second, it is violently opposed;
Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

“Those who have failed to accept the truth have missed the purpose of living.

“I quote others only to better express myself” !
quote:
quote:
ADFD1

In 1990 you could get 3 YUGO's for a price of one M3 BMW

Today you can get 2 used M3 (1990) for a price of ONE used YUGO (1990).

Funny how that proves your theory tested over 20 year time period.

May the best car be worth-less !!!

You're funny. In 1990 Yugo was garbage, and anyone in their right mind would have passed on the 3 Yugo's and took the BMW M3. Today Yugo represents, garbage, junk, a mistake of a car, in a car collectors garage.

I'm sure when a father and son visit a car collection if there is a Yugo in the collection the father probably says to the son something like this: "Son you see that POS, they were throw away death traps back in the day, total junk." That was what my father told me when I mentioned the Yugo discussion in this thread.

BTW- Miro some engines by design use oil, its not the fault of the oil, nor the owner of the car. It's just a fact of life.

AD
And yet, the M3 is still in production. Why do you suppose that is miro? Tell me, how many 2009 Yugo were sold here?

A 1990 Corvette could buy alot of Yugos as well. As could a 1990 911. A Rolls Royce silver spur. Bently. Lamborghini Diablo. Lincoln. In 1990, good used cars were worth more than a new Yugo.

Today, those cars, used, are worth far, far, more, than a Yugo.

And at least you can stop any of them on a bridge and not get blown off it by high wind.

Poor guy, One of his fans refuses to use his juice. No one else here is either. His precious Yugo is the joke of the auto industry. His, and his minions, knowledge of auto engineering is laughable.

Oh, I forgot. As I pointed out in another thread, a used Yugo goes for $10. So tell me miro, just where can I buy this $5 M3? I want to buy a few.

NATO did the world a huge favor when they bombed the factory.
Last edited by trajan
I can't believe anyone with any level of intelligence can even mention a Yugo as being even remotely good. That alone tells me to stay clear of his oil. He would have been better off never mentioning the word Yugo. Ask anyone who drove one what they thought of it. My dad and his buddy test drove one for S&G, he said pathetic would have been a tremendous compliment for it. They laughed all the way home from the dealership.

AD
Well the three have demostrated, again, their overall level of knowledge of oil and engineering.

A side note. How cool is this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38211262

General Motors Co. said Monday that buyers who order a 2011 Corvette Z06 or ZR1 can help assemble their cars' high-performance LS7 and LS9 engines. The automaker believes the program is the first of its kind in the industry.

How many Yugos can you buy for that, let alone the price of a ZR1?
Same here, I do about 5-6K in 6 months, and change the oil in June/December. Those months carried over from when I lived in NY, just before the heat, or real cold weather. It would be slightly lower on the stick but not enough to add any oil.

Still a qt in 6,000 miles is nothing. I'd think a little oil making it to the top of the cylinders is a good thing, especially if the car sits for days at a time before getting used again.

AD
quote:

Malcolm Bricklin, he of the Bricklin SV1, wouldn't be satisfied until he had forced every American to walk to work. To that end, in 1985, he began importing the Yugo GV, which turned out to be the Mona Lisa of bad cars. Built in Soviet-bloc Yugoslavia, the Yugo had the distinct feeling of something assembled at gunpoint. The engines went ka-blooey, the electrical system — such as it was — would sizzle, and things would just fall off. Yugo. Or not.

They have value as a mistake, junk, garbage, trash, a POS, and a good laugh to collectors. For that people might spend nice money to have one now.

AD
quote:
quote:

Malcolm Bricklin, he of the Bricklin SV1, wouldn't be satisfied until he had forced every American to walk to work. To that end, in 1985, he began importing the Yugo GV, which turned out to be the Mona Lisa of bad cars. Built in Soviet-bloc Yugoslavia, the Yugo had the distinct feeling of something assembled at gunpoint. The engines went ka-blooey, the electrical system — such as it was — would sizzle, and things would just fall off. Yugo. Or not.

They have value as a mistake, junk, garbage, trash, a POS, and a good laugh to collectors. For that people might spend nice money to have one now.

AD

One of those "they're so bad they're good" things. Like Ed Wood's "Plan 9 from Outer Space."
Senseless essay. But anyway you slice it, a quart of oil in 6k is well within limits, especially considering oil spray jets and low tension rings.

Mazda rotary engines spray oil into the chamber as well, and yet, he, or the other stooges, have nothing to say about it. But I digress.....

Yugos are garbage. On the top ten list of any respected commentator's list of worst cars. Even Bricklin gave up on them in favor of a Chinese car.

Worst car of the millennium according to Car Talk.
quote:
Senseless essay. But anyway you slice it, a quart of oil in 6k is well within limits, especially considering oil spray jets and low tension rings.

Senseless my foot. Personally, I found it very interesting and informative. It's a real pity what North Americans must pay for vehicles. If it were not for the recent recession, we would be paying several thousands of dollars more than we already are.

That still doesn't change the fact that engine is poorly designed.
quote:
Mazda rotary engines spray oil into the chamber as well, and yet, he, or the other stooges, have nothing to say about it. But I digress.....

Sorry, someone should have mentioned that.
quote:
Yugos are garbage. On the top ten list of any respected commentator's list of worst cars. Even Bricklin gave up on them in favor of a Chinese car.

Try telling us something different instead of parroting AD.
quote:
Worst car of the millennium according to Car Talk.

In its day, it had its place. Pity the auto makers won't give us much in the 10K range. I think there may be one or two offshore vehicles. If they did, they wouldn't be able to keep up. Sure does make you wonder...
Two things:

inHaliburton
Level 4 - 251 to 500 posts
Posted Jul 27, 10:10 AM Hide Post
This may eventually prove to be the best stuff since sliced bread, but with virtually no testing results, API ratings on their product, and documentation except that on the Synlube site, I wouldn't put this stuff in my engine, even for nothing. Remember Slick 50?

In the above post he will not put this stuff in his motor, and yet attacks anyone who questions it.

inHaliburton
Posted Jun 20, 6:22 PM Hide Post
Beats me how those who have no experience with a product can argue with those who have.

This post is self explainatory. So the question arises. Since he has no experience with a product, a BMW, why is he argueing with those who not only have experience with it, but own one?

Not really a problem then??????

In an earlier thread, he was shown to be a liar. (Find that thread you said I trashed yet? You know, the one you made up thinking no one would catch it? Too hard to check your facts first.) Now hypocrite can be added.

A hypocritical liar. A winning combination.
quote:

In an earlier thread, he was shown to be a liar. catch it? Too hard to check your facts first.) Now hypocrite can be added.

A hypocritical liar. A winning combination.

Trajan,you're talking only about yourself,and spot on.........the biggest liar on these boards! WE ALL KNOW IT!

You are the liar,the hypocrite,and the story teller. You were caught way back when you lied to annie_oakley!

You are the only one on these threads who got caught lying with that bogus story you fabricated saying your 'imaginary' neighbor was using Synlube,and sludged his engine!

WE ALL REMEMBER THAT FOOT IN THE MOUTH LIE YOU FIRST TOLD ANNIE!

STILL NO REBUTTAL...........NOW MANY MONTHS LATER.........LIAR!!!!!!

That was the day you lost any ounce of credibility you may have had.........now you have Zero...........like the oil my cars don't burn.........ZERO.....even at over 17k on just the oil.........and it's ZERO oil use!

My last buick had almost 180k,which I bought used with 100k,and it burned almost Zero....just to compare!

Just wondering...besides the oil burning,and the much needed engine flushes.........how much power has your car now lost due to lower compression in the engine now that it's cracked 100k...........they are known to lose quite a lot of power beyond 100k-like yours, and burn oil too,(like yours)......that is,when you use the 'approved' oil that barely meets a "minimal" spec,instead of something much,much better....and then ruin the engine with minimal 'approved oil'.....

You and I both know you have noticed a sizable loss of power from your engine and you are thinking of a rebuild to put the life back in that now........tired old,oil burning engine of yours.

Here let me help you start the process.....those Italian-(tune-ups) have worn out the engine...

http://www.bavengine.com/

Maybe you can get a new...'free'-engine/repair if you qualify.....

http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm
Since there has been much talk about the Yugo..........here are some fun facts.......

http://www.slate.com/id/2241530/pagenum/2

It's the car that keeps on giving............

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.c...ty-interest-in-yugo/

http://wikicars.org/en/Fiat_127

quote........(Fiat 127=Yugo)

* In 1972 the Fiat 127, was the car of the year in Denmark, awarted by FDM.
* Also in 1972 it was named European Car of the year

Read more: Fiat 127 - Wikicars
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
WOW !

Now I know why USED BMW are worth so much (relatively):

"In the event you received owner notification of this Service Action and neglect to have it performed within a reasonable period after notification, or choose not to have the Service Action performed, and the engine fails, the necessary repairs may not be covered under the terms of the warranty. The warranty does not cover damage, which results from negligence, improper operation of the vehicle, or improper maintenance."

How nice of BMW, and I bet they did not sent the letters by registered mail either !!!
Last edited by mirokefurt
Miro: Improper maint would include using a non approve oil. I doubt Synlube was approved by BMW, and if he used your non approved oil and his engine failed you'd change addresses and vanish off the face of the earth.

A qt of oil used in 6000 miles is not an oil burner, get real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yugo is still viewed as GARBAGE, get real. Don't you see the pattern? Synlube/Yugo= ______________. I'm sure the members can fill in the blank.

AD
His disciple kirk's own links have stated using the wrong viscosity oil is bad.

This synlube, which VOAs have shown to not even be its advertised weight, is not on BMW's list. Or VW, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Mercedes, GM, Ferarri, Chrysler, Honda, Holden, Jaguar, etc...

Even selling that liquid garbage at $32per, he couldn't afford the testing fees.

It isn't even on API's list.

I see he *still* fails to prove his allegations

I asked some bimmer guys about his comments:

"it's unreadable so I stopped after the first few sentences."

And the next comment:

"As are a lot of Internet diatribes. Seems that grammar and spelling are becoming a lost art. If the poster cannot construct a sentence and at least come close to properly spelling a word (nobody's perfect, so I make some allowances here, like seeing what keys on the keyboard are immediately next to the correct letter) then I don't put much faith in what they are writing about."

Let's see if my fans have the guts to go here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7 and tell them all that they're wrong.

Oh who am I kidding.... All three will get laughed off.
Last edited by trajan
quote:
And to show even further that they have no clue:

Speaks for itself.

You mean like this....

http://www.autohausaz.com/bmw-...mw-oil-pressure.html

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/...6-m3-engine-oil.html

http://forums.bimmerforums.com...owthread.php?t=41116

Hey Trajan...........Looks like you didn't use.........MFG APPROVED OIL...

Here is a Quote regarding the correct-'MFG APPROVED OIL'..........(What you didn't use.).....OOPS!

"I just picked up my car last week (production dated 6/2002). The owner's manual, and everywhere else oil is discussed, states that 10w-60 should be used. I can't find this(OIL) anywhere!"

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...wflat&Number=1682005

THAT'S RIGHT...NEVER SECOND GUESS THE MFG..........."THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING"........

http://www.m5board.com/vbullet...-noise-thoughts.html
Poor Trajan. Boo hoo. So sad. How childish and immature you are.

Trajan wants us to go to some beamer site.

Show them a link to here and they will see what a goof and liar you are.

We can show them threads that will show them how you treat and detest women.

A link to that car belonging to a neighbour with the sludge engine from using Synlube.

How old are you?

You had better run along now, or you'll be late for kindergarten.

Well?
quote:
inHaliburton
Posted Jun 20, 6:22 PM Hide Post
Beats me how those who have no experience with a product can argue with those who have.

Ironic how that comes in handy now. So the big question is.... Will he apply it to himself, miro, kirk? Being that none of them have experience with the M54 engine..... Knowing how he feels about that?

Nah, too much to expect of a hypocrit.

Oh, how the mechanics at both the dealer and the place I deal with laughed it up when I pointed out this thread.....

And when they read about Yugos and synlube..... brought the house down.
Last edited by trajan
Now, tell us all, Trajan, what personal experience have you had with a product that you have had no experience with, namely Synlube? Does that hold true for you, or just we non-beamers?

I suggest that if you were to use Synlube, that smoker if yours may just stop burning up oil.

And you would not have the need to use ARX to clean up that engine, too.

Seriously, think about it.
quote:

Oh, how the mechanics at both the dealer and the place I deal with laughed it up when I pointed out this thread.....

And when they read about Yugos and synlube..... brought the house down.

Your insecurity and naiveté come shining through. Had to casually drop by the Beamership for reassurance. That must have been a knee slapper all right. We all wish that we could have been there to share.

Recess is over. Better run along now, or you will be late for cookies and juice.
Trajan quoted.

BK. quoted...
The mazda is different than yours. Piston engines spray(oil) the bottom of the piston crown,not the combustion chamber.

Trajan Quoted.....
[QUOTE ]Ahhhhhh. Thanks. I was thinking the top of the crown.[/QUOTE]

quote:

That indeed is the "crowning" statement that in [b]so few words explains it all !!!

And do not forget to spike the oil with PEP !!!

That is REALLY what all the mechanics were laughing about ..........

---------------------------------------------

I cannot believe that someone(Trajan),even after having been on these oil sites for many years now... actually thought that a 4-stroke gasoline powered piston engine......sprayed oil into the combustion chamber onto the piston crown for whatever reason. Like I said.......no mechanical aptitude whatsoever,and that statement really proves it!

///Hey Trajan....... gasoline is also injected into the crankcase.....to--(prevent sludge)....(LOL)///

When Trajan was talking about STOOGES
. ........he was unwittingly referring to himself...

-------------------------------------
Trajan quoted....

"Oh, how the mechanics at both the dealer and the place I deal with laughed it up when I pointed out this thread".....

Wow, TRAJAN..........I never go to any shops,because I never need to.......and now we find out you need not one,but TWO REPAIR SHOPS!!!!!!! WHAT KIND OF LEMON ARE YOU DRIVING??? No wonder the mechanics were laughing.................they saw it was pay-day again when you arrived and they were just overjoyed and couldn't stop laughing.......AGAIN!!!!!
quote:
Regulations on VOC emissions here have made crankcase ventilation systems very effective moisture traps. CAFE standards are pushing manufacturers to spec lighter oils than they would otherwise use,even if only slightly. Non of these are deal breakers when all you have to do is change your oil to fix it. Forcing 100000 mile catalytic converter life at the expense of safe reliable engine wear protection and sabotaging older engines with mechanical valve trains is a piss poor use of government power,however well intentioned. The engineering responses to regulation are as varied as can be,some are successful,some not. BMW is not immune to this. The crank case ventilation system on some models can fail in very cold weather and suck all the crankcase oil into the intake manifold and cause engine destruction. Not the oils fault unless you count water trapped in it. When the water freezes the valve fails. These may be the failures your referring to.

All of the reasons stated is why it is ever more important to use the absolute best synthetics available,with the lowest Noack VOLATILITY NUMBERS....like SYNLUBE!

Many of the lubes,group III included,are still much to volatile.... almost 15%,and they simply burn off too much!

When these low quality lubes vaporize,not all of the vapors are burned off in the engine,like some would believe.

A portion of the vapors will precipitate out,especially when the engine is shut off,basically fogging the inside of the engine/emission components with oil and moisture,causing a sort of 'milkshake',that eventually chokes the engine to death in many cases!

This condition of 'fogging' occurs worse during the very hot summer seasons that cook off even more of the volatile oils into vapors,followed with fogging down a nice layer of oil,that the colder/damper winters eventually finish off with added moisture....creating the deadly milkshake syndrome,and then eventual engine death in some cases!

The engine,and emission systems are all clogged up and can't breathe,creating a vicious cycle that kills the engine!

NO AMOUNT OF 'ENGINE-FLUSHES' will fix.... the now clogged up emission ventilation system,the damage is done,and oil system flushes will not effect that system!!

By using a very low volatile,and high quality synthetic oil,this deadly cycle will never begin in the first place!

Remember,most of the sludge monsters(sludge lawsuits) occurred in the Northern,colder states.

Cars will also have sludge/varnish/coking,etc, in hot climates,so high quality synthetic is needed for sure in the heat!
quote:
Wow, TRAJAN..........I never go to any shops,because I never need to.......and now we find out you need not one,but TWO REPAIR SHOPS!!!!!!! WHAT KIND OF LEMON ARE YOU DRIVING??? No wonder the mechanics were laughing.................they saw it was pay-day again when you arrived and they were just overjoyed and couldn't stop laughing.......AGAIN!!!!!

Good catch, Kirk.

Those crack Beamership(s) service sales guys likely put him into an endless loop ARX cleaning cycle!

What a hoot!
You three want to attack me becaue I use the proper oil, fine.

You want to attack me becaue of a 1qt/6000 mile oil consumption, fine.

The people who design and build these engines don't have a problem with it.

The people who own these cars don't have a probelm with it.

The people who work on them don't have a problem with it.

No one, except you three, have a problem with it. Any of it.

Seperately, each of them have a wealth of experience you can't hope to match.

Together, it's so far ahead of yours that it you couldn't see it even using Hubble.

So, have at it, attack all you want. Whatever helps your collective inferiority complex, but you have neither the experience to bear listening to, or even a coherent position to come from. All you have is attacks. Poor ones at that.

My last post in this thread. Hopefully.
Last edited by trajan
Correction none of us have a problem with "it" as we do not own BMW, and nor do 82% of people who drive them, they know better they just LEASE BMW and the next one and next one.... NO worries NO concerns NO problems just making the $600 to $900 a month payments FOREVER……..

The few BMW "owners that get stuck with the second hand cars are those I truly feel sorry for!!!

Have you ever seen any BMW owner on any thread with one or two year car being concerned about anything? NO

They get FREE maintenance and then they just get another one 3 years later - that is the TRUE BMW ownership profile - and those guys and few women could not care less about jet sprays or oil consumption or anything else.

Still 5,000 or even 3,000 miles to a quart when the "typical" BMW is only serviced every 16,500 miles (national average according to BMW themselves) that may be bit too close to comfort on engine with 4.2 Liters of oil (well few have 7) - by simple math there is almost NO oil when the service indicator is on.

And some women do not think they need service until the RED OIL light is ON.

I actually know of one that did just that - one think I have to give credit to MW engine design is that the car still runs - but may be that is what is eating the connecting rod bearings, rather than "strange" combination of contamination and less than acceptable tolerances - that show up 25,000 to 30,000 miles AFTER the car was driven.

Does not BMW check any tolerance when the build the engine?

May be it is just running LOW and OUT of oil that is the real problem, which they just do NOT want to admit to.

Personally I have never seen or heard of engine that would run just fine and then 20,000 + miles latter would fail due to "contamination" during assembly!!!

That is about as believable as spraying oil on top of the piston crown, but of course some people did just that!!!
Recently (like few days ago) there was a news story about FORD Comet Caliente owned by this little old lady - that she claims she has driven over 500,000 miles.

She also apparently kept all the repair records and on the car that was but $2,500 and some change she spent reportedly $53,000 to keep running over the years.

Yet her claim to fame are lifetime warranties, so she keeps on getting FREE batteries, mufflers, brakes, etc.

But something NOT mentioned on the news story is that the 1965 FORDS had Gas Tank vented to the atmosphere, that is fumes would escape ALL THE TIME !!!

So this car in effect pollutes even when parked on a hot day as much as 2,750 new trucks would, or almost 14,200 PZEVS.

Now why should this old lady have the right to pollute the Air with Gasoline vapors ???
Something wrong with this picture !!!
quote:
Recently (like few days ago) there was a news story about FORD Comet Caliente owned by this little old lady - that she claims she has driven over 500,000 miles.

She also apparently kept all the repair records and on the car that was but $2,500 and some change she spent reportedly $53,000 to keep running over the years.

Yet her claim to fame are lifetime warranties, so she keeps on getting FREE batteries, mufflers, brakes, etc.

But something NOT mentioned on the news story is that the 1965 FORDS had Gas Tank vented to the atmosphere, that is fumes would escape ALL THE TIME !!!

So this car in effect pollutes even when parked on a hot day as much as 2,750 new trucks would, or almost 14,200 PZEVS.

Now why should this old lady have the right to pollute the Air with Gasoline vapors ???
Something wrong with this picture !!!

Great Find...

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/li...k-mile-%22chariot%22

The pollution gasoline issue is because she was born.... before Al Gore??
quote:
FORD Comet Caliente

Well looks like the NEWS Dpt at NBC is getting desperate for stories apparently it is a re run of story from August 10 2009 done by FLORIDA affiliate, but was presented as "today" story !!!

The price was $3289.30 (with Factory A/C) !!!

So in theory if the average mileage is true the car should have today 12,000 more miles - but is she even still around ?

Too bad they did not bother to update the "story"......
WOW even better find Kirk !!!

So I kept on looking.....

But now I wonder why with so much honesty the invoices shown in Utube NBC and the ABC 2 story do not match in price ?

Why would someone bother to change the price and not even do a good job of erasing the previous one???

With that little discrepancy can you really trust that there are 500,000 more miles than the odo is not capable of showing ?

Or would 91 year Lady be less than honest ?

After all she only has driven 5K miles in a year, yet in another video she claims she is now driving the car MORE THAN EVER (like in every day) which she did not do when she was young and at home MOM.

Based on her "own" testimony the car should actually have 230,000 miles, or less !!!

The two claimed odo readings are 57,000 and 62,000 just about one year apart.

Ask any psychologist how would they read this statement:

"Well, she's never lied to me. She's never cheated on me," Veitch gushes. "And I can always depend on her. And that's the truth."

PS: I always probe below the surface on any sensational story,just my normal curiosity ....

4K average in last 17 years !!!

My husband traded in 1958 Lincoln for it

And then in 2009 in just 6 weeks the car gained 17,000 miles (from 540,000 to 557,000)

So what gives ???

July 12, 2010 East at Carlisle, PA 554,000 miles

July 14, 2010 Wauwatosa, WI 563,000 miles

July 15, 2010 She already has in her "book" page printed that proclaims 600,000 miles !!!

WOW she is an operator in a warp speed !!! (Could she be related to Trajan ???)

Well she wants to be on Jay Leno and see his collection of 120 cars, but she muct have started planning that the day Leno went on the air.......
Last edited by mirokefurt
quote:
WOW even better find Kirk !!!

So I kept on looking.....

But now I wonder why with so much honesty the invoices shown in Utube NBC and the ABC 2 story do not match in price ?

Why would someone bother to change the price and not even do a good job of erasing the previous one???

With that little discrepancy can you really trust that there are 500,000 more miles than the odo is not capable of showing ?

Or would 91 year Lady be less than honest ?

After all she only has driven 5K miles in a year, yet in another video she claims she is now driving the car MORE THAN EVER (like in every day) which she did not do when she was young and at home MOM.

Based on her "own" testimony the car should actually have 230,000 miles, or less !!!

The two claimed odo readings are 57,000 and 62,000 just about one year apart.

Ask any psychologist how would they read this statement:

"Well, she's never lied to me. She's never cheated on me," Veitch gushes. "And I can always depend on her. And that's the truth."

PS: I always probe below the surface on any sensational story,just my normal curiosity ....

4K average in last 17 years !!!

My husband traded in 1958 Lincoln for it

And then in 2009 in just 6 weeks the car gained 17,000 miles (from 540,000 to 557,000)

So what gives ???

July 12, 2010 East at Carlisle, PA 554,000 miles

July 14, 2010 Wauwatosa, WI 563,000 miles

July 15, 2010 She already has in her "book" page printed that proclaims 600,000 miles !!!

WOW she is an operator in a warp speed !!! (Could she be related to Trajan ???)

Well she wants to be on Jay Leno and see his collection of 120 cars, but she muct have started planning that the day Leno went on the air.......

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/li...k-mile-%22chariot%22

http://autos.aol.com/article/rachel-veitch-old-car/

Look out..............she's packin heat boys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow.......she's mechanical too!!

http://www.dipity.com/timeline...-Comet-Caliente/list

Looks like she drove 3k from roughly July 2009 to July 2010 ??

Car does Look Good for that vintage mercury,I'll give her that!

The odometer issue..............well,she is 91,or is she 92,or 93.......
YUGO was the First car in 1985 to offer FREE 1 year or 12,000 miles maintenance, all you had to do is to bring it to the dealer and they did:

Look at the dipstick
Checked the Tire pressure (all 5 tires)
Cleaned the Windows
Checked Coolant and Brake Fluid Level
= Car was serviced

The FIRST oil change was at 15,000 miles - so bit of "trick" but in 1985 people really believed back then that 3 months or 3,000 miles is all they can go between services - which then also included spark plugs changes.

Of course YUGO had BOSCH electronic Ignition and a Platinum plugs (BOSCH or ISKRA), so no Spark Plug Changes either.

Indeed there was no major anything for 4 years or 40,000 miles (the Warranty lenght) to be done, that is why YUGO America could offer this.

At 40,000 you changed the Air Filter, Fuel Filter and the Timing Belt and the Water Pump and Alternator Belt. The 40,000 miles service to experienced mechanic took total of 45 minutes and was under $120 parts and labor.

75% of YUGO owner's NEVER did this recommended service !!! And just waited until the belt(s) broke usualy 5 to 7 years since manufacture.

The ZASTAVA OEM Oil was SAE 10W-50 made by Jugopetrol and licensed from CASTROL GB = Synthetic of course PAO and POE blend.

In 1985 it was the ONLY car sold in USA with Synthetic Motor Oil as OEM fill, but unfortunately when Imported as part of the car there was only 1.8% import duty.

But if shipped separately there was 34% import tax on finished lubes, that is why there was no OEM YUGO Oil at the dealers. Also OCCIDENTAL Petroleum had exclusive deal with Yugoslav Government so the oil could not be imported except through them, and unfortunately Mr. Hammer almost had a stroke the frst time he saw YUGO so that was not about to happen....

Because of the Warranty Act in USA Yugo America did not insist that the OEM Oil is used by Dealers for eventual servicing at 15,000 miles.

But once the OEM Oil was changed the service interval was 6 months or 6,000 miles with API SF motor oil.

API SF was YUGO recomended, when most oils on market at that time were SE or SD rated.

Since the YUGO engine was based on 1960's FIAT design it was quite tollerant of poor quality oils.

And NO it did NOT burn Oil !!!
SynLube was used in the 1984 cars that had 850 ccm engines and were planned for Southern California ONLY (the contract with ZASTAVA was for 5,000 units) they also had BOSCH EFI (same as that on FIAT & BERTONE X1/9 since 1979) but when Bicklin bought the distribution rights for REST of the USA, he decided to cheap out the car and put in a carburetor and just to have the same torque and power they had to up the engine to 1.1L so not really a smart move. As the car lost 10 MPG by doing so and was only 5 MPH faster (top speed).

As a result there were not 1984 or 1985 cars sold in California (they could not meet the emissions levels under the 5 year certification standards with a carburetor).

The YUGO 45 was the car for $4,500 with 10 year and 100,000 miles Warranty and FREE maintenance (due to SynLube) GOT ALL THE INITIAL PUBLICITY and started the YUGO-mania, but that never really happened and in 1992 KIA and latter HYUNDAI adopted the 10 year Warranty Idea.

So like it or not YUGO did start lot of "new" trends that still live on today in the Auto Industry in one way or another.

I doubt BMW and latter Mercedes would have given people FREE maintenance if YUGO did not do that FIRST.........

While due to US embargo YUGO went oout of business in 1992, it was made in Serbia till December 2008 - over 800,000 of them were made of which 167,000 were sold in USA.

SO not exactly a "failure" as some may think !!!
quote:
ADFD1

Point is YOU have never owned YUGO and probably never driven one either so in any legal proceding your testimony would be ruled as "hearsay" that is of NO LEGAL VALUE:

hearsay n. 1) second-hand evidence in which the witness is not telling what he/she knows personally, but what others have said to him/her. 2) a common objection made by the opposing lawyer to testimony, when it appears the witness has violated the hearsay rule. 3) scuttlebutt or gossip.
quote:
quote:
US Navy

Come to think of it were not the pilots that were stationed in Aviano that bombed the ZASTAVA factory - your guys ?

And gee they also blown up and killed some Chinese diplomats by "mistake" while they were at it !

I do not think that is a way to keep people on US mainland too safe.....

OR did you forget that part of history already as well ?

After all the ZASTAVA factory was a significiant military traget as it used to make hand guns in 1920......

But someone forgot it was 1999 and was making cars since 1953 - OUPSSSS..... another "minor" mistake......

Ya let's keep us SAFE !!!!

I have to pick my words carefully, so let me just say you are a FOOL, a TOTAL FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here's a suggestion fool, if you don't like it here in the US leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We don't need you! Maybe you can push your crap in Afghanistan, Iraq, or China. I'm sure they'll listen.

AD
What I can't stand most about SynLube and even Amsoil at times, is the way it's pushed.

It takes me 25 minutes to change the oil on my car. I can buy the oil I need, that was approved to be used, from $12-$25, depending on what I want to spend. My cars will last a minimum of 200-300k miles. By then, the doors will be falling off and I'll want something new.

My brother has a Toyota sludge V6 Solara. He bought it with 30k miles. It now has 250k miles using nothing but Mobil 1 with 8k-10k mile drain intervals.
quote:
quote:
ADFD1

And OH Don't forget - you hate French too, may be you should send back the Lady Liberty, but then this was a nice gesture too:

Fool- Where did it say I hated anyone? Don't put words in print you can't back up, OK? Seems you went off the deep end. Chill, and as stated if you don't like the USA get out!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me we'll get along just fine without you. Remember you need us we don't need fools like you!!!!!!

Try pushing your oil elsewhere in the world.

AD
I was able to get this info from a former arx member who still has access to there forum.

These are the number of arx customers by country.

1) U.S.A. 807 users
2) Canada 61 users
3) India 5 users
4) Mexico 3 users
5) Australia 5 users
6) Malaysia 2 users
7) Poland 1 user
8) Sweden 1 user
9) Norway 3 users
10)England 6 users
11) Philippines 5 users

Going back to 2002, there have been 34 ARX Threads that have been LOCKED.

2010 = 4
2009 = 6
2008 = 4
2007 = 1
2006 = 4
2005 = 8
2004 = 4
2003 = 3
2002 = 0

Miro, you need to be careful, look what happened with the owner of auto-rx, he was banned from BITOG as a sponsor and because of his reckless posts he only has 899 customers and 34 auto-rx threads were LOCKED on BITOG.

The only reason why there were no Locked arx threads in 2002 was that some people were using it and did not realize the product was not working, many members complained about arx not working in 2003 and the owner of arx fought with members for another 6 years before getting BANNED, and now he has his cronies fighting for him.

Miro, don't make the same mistakes that the owner of auto-rx has made over the years, you are better person than that, I hope.
Bear, how could you compare that Fool to the owner of A-rX? At least the man (A-rX owner) has some class and a small customer base. I bet he also loves his country, and would never trash it on an open forum. Great way to sell product and win customers over. Pointless bringing A-rX up in this thread. Sorry man!

Miro: I stand corrected I do hate a few things: liars, cheats, thieves, con artists who use the internet to shill garbage, and spew false information, then attack people for not believing them. Ring a bell?

AD
I hate to go over to the dark side ,but that kind of piss ant personal shot at ADFD1 and the military serves no purpose that will stand up to the light of day. NO use what so ever on this board. Why noria and the moderator here lets this internet scam continue here is beyond my understanding. If this is all this board is good for then noria would be better off deleting the car and truck forum completely.
Maybe miro doesn't get it. Scratch that, there is no maybe.

While he does have the right to criticize this country, it's only because said right is constantly being paid for by the service of the millions who served this country.

Those who came before AD. Those who are with AD. Those who will come after AD retires.

And the hundreds of thousands who paid the ultimate price to support and defend the Constitution that spells out that right.

Lucky for you miro, that if you said that face to face too a member of the US Armed Forces, they have to much discipline to give you the beating you deserve.

This is not the place for this kind of galling crap. (My brother, who served on a FFG back in the early 80's, just shook his head at miro's garbage when I showed him this.)
Last edited by trajan
quote:
He does have that right, he also has the right to leave here. My best guess is he'll piss and moan and stay right here. Typical!!!!!!!

Turst me any man in uniform would love to put the gloves on with him after reading this and teach him some respect. The only problem is we'd be in a world of S*.*t for it.

AD

Oh I know. And if I saw it happen, I'd deny it to the MPs/SP, whoever. The best we can do is excersize our right to say just how much of a spineless, insufferable, scam artist he is.

And if his two minions stand aside and let him, then, then we'll know their caliber too.

All this nonsense because we don't buy into synlube/yugo hogwash like the others.....
quote:

Oh I know. And if I saw it happen, I'd deny it to the MPs/SP, whoever. .....

Most people would. If were in a club I hang at I would probably have a nice safe exit, since my bouncer friends would swear he fell.

Honestly it ain't worth it. He's probably some old grouch just looking for attention and is flexing keyboard muscle.

AD
quote:
Bear, how could you compare that Fool to the owner of A-rX? At least the man (A-rX owner) has some class and a small customer base. I bet he also loves his country, and would never trash it on an open forum. Great way to sell product and win customers over. Pointless bringing A-rX up in this thread. Sorry man!

Miro: I stand corrected I do hate a few things: liars, cheats, thieves, con artists who use the internet to shill garbage, and spew false information, then attack people for not believing them. Ring a bell?

AD

AD, the same things you are attacking Miro with you can also attack auto-rx. I got an e-mail from a former arx user who used the product and it did not stop his oil leak, he tried to get his money back and he was not successfull, he ended up using some HM Oil and it stopped his leak.

I do not think it is pointless bringing auto-rx into this thread, we already have Synlube here, this fighting with Miro and Synlube is getting real old, how many people are going to buy his expensive oil, very few people.

Yet we have people with dirty engines and I think they need to here everything about auto-rx just like they need to here everything about Synlube, have we seen any documented proof of an engine failure from someone using Synlube, we sure have seen pics of valvetrains where auto-rx did nothing.

It seems you hate a few things about someone spewing false information then attacking people for not believing them, that is auto-rx.

You have to realize the average arx customer finds out his engine is leaking, blowing smoke, burning oil, or it is just plain dirty, they are in a desperate situation and they fall prey to auto-rx's sales tactics.

If you think the arx owner has some class then why not use the product and when you get no results and you ask for your money back and do not get it, then you can come back and tell us how much class the arx owner really has.
quote:
Big Bear

Someojne on BOB the OIL GUY asked about SAE 5W-20 oil just a simple question and that resulted in 4 pages of SynLube bashing, the poor guy did not even now that SynLube existed !!!

But now he has just ordered SynKit for his Accord V-6.

His reasoning if people hate something so badly, they must be affraid of something, like having the oil they now use becoming totally obsolete.

So keep it up it actually does sell SynLube !!!
quote:
Bear you're missing the point. He attacked the Military and is taking pokes at the country. What does that have to do with A-rX?

AD

Ah Miro a fool and his money, that is if there is even any truth to your story.

AD, he is trying to upset you and get more people to post in this thread, this is Miro's way of getting some publicity, of course he is doing it the wrong way.

ARX may not attack the country, but arx does attack there customers, does Miro attack his customers.
For all the Yugo haters,brace yourself,here it comes..............

http://seekingalpha.com/articl...-s-nano-the-new-yugo

Those cheap economy cars never really go away,they just get reincarnated......along with the economy.....

http://tatacars.blogspot.com/2...etition-to-nano.html

"The car is at the center of an industrial rights controversy, since GM have claimed that it is very similar to the Chevrolet Spark/Daewoo Matiz. GM executives have proved that the doors of the Chery car can be mounted on the Chevrolet Spark without modification, and Car and Driver, an automobile magazine, even calls it "a copy". "

Here is a list of cars that are, 'History',including the Yugo. Kinda depressing!

http://www.chicagonow.com/blog...ued-cars-trivia.html

You can add Mercury to the list too!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06...iness/03mercury.html

The not-to-distant future of the Auto industry.........

http://webcache.googleusercont...=us&client=firefox-a

Trajans next car..........(He will be begging for a used Yugo)

http://wizbangblue.com/images/...electric_car_new.jpg
quote:
Bear you're missing the point. He attacked the Military and is taking pokes at the country. What does that have to do with A-rX?

AD

Ah Miro a fool and his money, that is if there is even any truth to your story.

I got this far catching up from a few days ago.

AD, I read what Miro said. I took it as being a history lesson, or facts. I have no idea if it is true or not. If true, well, there you have it. I did not get the impression that he was insulting you or the US military. I have the greatest respect for you men and women, and our men and women in our military, too.

We lost another soldier yesterday. I don't know if you people down there are aware, but our "heroes" are returned to Canada in a military aircraft that lands in Trenton, Ontario, a military air base. The body is transported by hearse in a procession of many cars and police escort to the morgue in Toronto for autopsy, which is about 200 miles along the 401 highway. This major highway runs east and west from Detroit to the Quebec border, and has been re-named, "The Highway of Heroes." EVERY bridge along the route is cleared of traffic by the OPP, our provincial police force, like your State police. The progress of the procession is broadcast on radio stations and television, so people know approximately when the procession will pass under a particular bridge in their area. The family of the fallen hero is present in one or more of the vehicles. These bridge tops gradually fill up with individuals, police vehicles, fire trucks from the nearby local towns. Most people have Canadian flags and the firefighters stand on the roofs of their trucks holding our a flag and saluting as the procession passes underneath. Ambulances with personnel are also present to pay their respects. Dozens and dozens of bridges along the 200 mile route are filled with people. People cheer, wave, salute, cry, etc. Police, firefighters, military personnel salute as the large procession of vehicles pass beneath them. I have been fortunate to observe a couples of these events. The police clear traffic from in front of the procession, and do not allow cars to enter the highway until the procession has passed. It's a very moving and personal experience that the common person can participate. This showing of love and respect happens spontaneously with every Hero who is being repatriated. This young man was Hero number 151. Canadians are very proud of our military people.
inHaliburton- I have no problems with you at all, Miro OTOH is a FOOL and has proven it many times over.

I have many Canadian friends, all heros in my book. A fine bunch of people that I'm proud to know and serve with.

My point is because of my sig line a FOOL goes off on a tangent. His so called history lesson has nothing at all to do in an oil forum, but when a person is sick and desperate all bets are off. It is not helping his sales, even though he might think it is.

AD
quote:
Who is the more foolish? The fool, or the fools who follow him?

quote:
You three want to attack me becaue I use the proper oil, fine.

You want to attack me becaue of a 1qt/6000 mile oil consumption, fine.

The people who design and build these engines don't have a problem with it.

The people who own these cars don't have a probelm with it.

The people who work on them don't have a problem with it.

No one, except you three, have a problem with it. Any of it.

Seperately, each of them have a wealth of experience you can't hope to match.

Together, it's so far ahead of yours that it you couldn't see it even using Hubble.

So, have at it, attack all you want. Whatever helps your collective inferiority complex, but you have neither the experience to bear listening to, or even a coherent position to come from. All you have is attacks. Poor ones at that.

My last post in this thread. Hopefully.

Hey Trajan, you were whining about being attacked recently. You aren't very swift.

You are upset because you bought that used smoker from a Beamership or from a fellow Yuppie. No joy there.

Ya, sure, you re using ARX just because you want to. Wink
inHaliburton- I honestly believe you don't think a BMW using a qt of oil in 6K miles is a smoker/oil burner do you? I also believe deep down you know that Sinlube is a hoax. I mean after all that address, location, Top Secret location BS that was posted months back. I believe you are better than that, I really do man! No hard feelings I hope, just a gut feeling I have about you. I just think you like to bust'em that's all! Smile If so I'm cool with that. Trajan's ride if a far cry from a Yugo clunker POS.

AD
Link copied to your clipboard.