Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Depends where the leak is from. If it is a rotating seal like a rear main or similar, I would try AutoRX.

If it is something like a valve cover, you migh temporarilly seal it with a crude seal swell additive from your local autoparts store.

If the leak is less than 1qt/1000 miles or so, I wouldn't mess with it at all (I espicially wouldn't use any seal swell stop-leaks).

The upside to AutoRX is that it has an overall benificial effect, and they are nice to deal with if it doesn't fix your problems.
I agree that in general replacing the gasket or seal is the best policy. However, I've been convinced that ester based cleaning products can, perhaps 60% of the time fix rotating seal leaks. I would probably degrease the enigine some and look for the leak source, or even use the UV dye...but that's just me. I would also consider snugging up all of the valve cover and oil pan bolts if accessable. You didn't say how much it leaks?

I am more familar with AutoRX than the other similar products on the market, and they also happen to stand by their product pretty well. On the downside, I think it runs something like $20 a bottle (that's if you get the discount for being a member of an internet oil discussion forum, which I think this forum should count).

Oh, if it turns out that you had a leaking pan or valve cover gasket, the AutoRX will have only improved the internal condition of your engine in the process.
quote:
Originally posted by Jimjohn:
My 1994 ford taurus leaking oil - what is the best additive to help stop this leak

I would determine where exactly it is leaking from, and if possible fix it. If not switch over to a HM dino oil, save your money on any of the additives. For what some of them cost $25+ you can get 5 qts of a HM oil and a filter if on sale at AAP or P-Boys. Especially with July 4 around the corner.

AD
Link copied to your clipboard.