Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

The manufacturer of my car recommends that Mobil 1 be used. After a recent service at the dealer I noticed that a Penzoil synthetic oil had been used! I contacted Mobil and asked them their thoughts, they responded by telling me that for the short term no harm will be done but to change back to their product soon. The dealer tells me that ALL synthetic oils are produced by Mobil and they just supply the product to all under licence...

Anyone like to comment?

Alan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by ahowkins:
The manufacturer of my car recommends that Mobil 1 be used. After a recent service at the dealer I noticed that a Penzoil synthetic oil had been used! I contacted Mobil and asked them their thoughts, they responded by telling me that for the short term no harm will be done but to change back to their product soon. The dealer tells me that ALL synthetic oils are produced by Mobil and they just supply the product to all under licence...

Anyone like to comment?

Alan

'Rider Support'
(C.)918-636-1281
Sorry, I got trigger happy and didn't get my message on the first post. All synthetics are NOT made from the same synthetic base-stocks and not all are made by the same company, ie. Mobil. There's several companies that make these but I would agree with the Mobil Tech. person - no harm done if the oil installed meets the required API Service Rating (SJ, I think is the latest). Chevrolet recommends Mobil 1 for several of their cars (Corvette, Syclone, Malibu, etc.) because of the business relationship they have. What determines whether your Warranty will be in jeopardy or not is whether you are using the correct service class of oil.

'Rider Support'
(C.)918-636-1281
Hey guys.
Made a similar post in the previous noria forums but they changed before I got a reply:
Read an article saying that synthetic oils are not recommended for new or rebuilt engines as the lubricating properties are so extreme. It is recommended that a mineral oil is used for the break in period and after that it becomes the end users choice.
The problems reported are things like the piston rings not seating while using synthetic.
To me it speaks volumes for the lubricating properties of synthetic but I have never been in that situation.
Any thoughts?
This is true. For most newer engines (gas), after the initial break-in oil (3,000 miles or less) has been run, the engine should be go for conversion to synthetic. For those that come factory filled with synthetic, those engines have already been broken in on a petroleum based lube. Rebuilt engines may take up to 5,000 miles of break-in depending on how tight the tolerances were when rebuilt. Diesel engines shouldn't be converted until after they have a bare minimum of 10,000 miles IMHO. Diesels have much harder cylinders and thus take much longer to break in. Once broken in, the life of an engine can most definitely be extended simply by using synthetic oil and I'm talking full synthetic or PAO based oil.

"If a petroleum oil is required for break-in, it must be pretty abrasive. Why then wouldn't it continue to wear after the break-in ?"

'Rider Support'
(C.)918-636-1281
Alan,

There is a large variation in the quality and longevity of synthetic motor oils. The factory recommended drain intervals range from 3,000 miles to 35,000 miles (or one year of service) depending on whose oil you purchase. Pennzoil recommends 3,000 for its synthetic. Mobil recommends 3,000 to 7,500 depending on driving conditions (car manfacturer's recommended change). Mobil used to have a 25,000 mile drain but has changed its formula several times over the years. We can provide addition information on synthetic oil comparative tests if desired.
Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by ahowkins:

Anyone like to comment?

Alan

'Rider Support'
(C.)918-636-1281

New vehicles or new & rebuilt engines have changed over the years. Today's higher quality parts with closer tolerances, means you can use synthetic oils from the start. I would only recommend a quick oil change for new or rebuilt motors at around 3-5,000 miles, due to eng break in. After that follow the oil manufacturer's recommendation for service intervals, not the car manufacturer's recommendations. I use Amsoil which is safe for up to 25,000 or 1 year which ever comes first, with filter changes at around 7,500 - 10,000 miles and a top off.
quote:
Originally posted by firewomann:
I bought a used (15K) Subaru and it's time for the oil change. I want to switch from the Goodwrench oil that's in it to a synthetic (recommendations welcome) but need to know if there's something I need to do first, or need to know about this. It is possible, right?
Thanks.

Firewommann, I would try a mixure of reg petro and synthetic. 4 years ago I had the same question and luckily my prayers were answered. Conklin (www.conklin.com) Convoy oils are in my opnion and tested the best oil on the market. More interested in selling proven products that save the customer money, Conklin's parasynthetic oils are perfect to save you money at the gas tank (with avergaes around 1.65 a gal) and to increase your horsepower. Heck, they even sell gum out products that WORK. Synthetics (pure) can cause oil leaks and malfunctioning of your engine. A blend is better to help reduce wear on your engine (engine life) and to extend your oil life. Visit the site and believe the hype (plus all oils are approved API's latest specifications)!
quote:
Convoy oils are in my opnion and tested the best oil on the market.

Could you point me to the test results? I do not believe that a blended oil could be better than a pure synthetic.

quote:
Synthetics (pure) can cause oil leaks and malfunctioning of your engine. A blend is better to help reduce wear on your engine (engine life) and to extend your oil life

This is just plain false. Synthetics do not cause oil leaks or engine malfunctioning. As a matter of fact, several cars come from the factory with synthetic oil as the factory fill.
Link copied to your clipboard.