Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on Oil Analysis and Tribology

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello urja,

I have made a feasibility study regarding the need for an in-house laboratory, the report is in my website under the articles portion.

We use internormen particle counter which I approved from management. What is important in choosing a particle counter is not the cost but first it must be calibrated on ISO 4406:99

Kindly refer to the link : www.rsareliability.com

My Warm Regards,

Rolly Angeles
www.rsareliability.com
Last edited by rollyangeles
quote:
Originally posted by Urja Enterprises Mumbai:
dear rolly - do visit our principal's web site - www.gtsindia.com - we are in similar business. - lets work out a synergy

Hello Urja,

By profession, i am a reliability consultant here in the Philippines, yes we are in the same nature of business. Let me know what you have in mind. You can email me at rollyangeles@rsareliability.com

As for the particle counter, most of them can be read in NAS and ISO whichever you prefer, but I prefer the ISO codes in 3 digits. What is important is that particle counter must be calibrated on MTD ISO 4/6/14.

Also, I have some training materials on Lubrication Strategy and understanding the importance of Oil Contamination Control that you might be interested upon which i developed.

Regards,

Rolly Angeles
www.rsareliability.com
quote:
Originally posted by Rolly Angeles:
quote:
Originally posted by Urja Enterprises Mumbai:
dear rolly - do visit our principal's web site - www.gtsindia.com - we are in similar business. - lets work out a synergy

Hello Urja,

By profession, i am a reliability consultant here in the Philippines, yes we are in the same nature of business. Let me know what you have in mind. You can email me at rollyangeles@rsareliability.com

As for the particle counter, most of them can be read in NAS and ISO whichever you prefer, but I prefer the ISO codes in 3 digits. What is important is that particle counter must be calibrated on MTD ISO 4/6/14.

Also, I have some training materials on Lubrication Strategy and understanding the importance of Oil Contamination Control that you might be interested upon which i developed.

Regards,

Rolly Angeles
www.rsareliability.com

Rolly,
I did access your website, primarily because I agree with your firm stand regarding the use of ISO 4406/99. However, after browsing through pages of your pdf file: “Tables on Oil Analysis”, reviewed in 2003, I am kinda disappointed. On this forum you correctly advocate use of ISO 4406/99 (measurement of >4, >6, and >14 micron particles), but the document on its first page in Table 2. refer to 5, 15, 25, 50, and 100 microns. Also, throughout the document there is no consistency as far as suggested ISO cleanliness level; it jumps from two-number codes to three-number codes. In addition, I could not find ANY note showing or noting that suggested ISO codes refer to 4406/99. If I would be you, I would clean up this document and make it more uniform throughout, because, except for the mentioning, it contains very useful info for all levels of tribology enthusiasts.
John,

Thanks for bringing this up, my point in this table is to clearly show that both MTD (New ISO Code) and ACFTD (Old ISO Code) indicates that new oil is not synanymous to clean oil, there are contaminants present in it. I'll just have to delete this table 2 for consistency purposes.

ISO MTD was chosen as primary replacement for ACFTD. My reason for stating this is that particle counter must be calibrated on the new MTD standards. Here in our country there is one well known particle counter ( I would not mention the name) that is still calibrated on the old ACFTD count.

My advise is that for those who are going to buy particle count ask your local vendor if the particle count is calibrated on MTD standards.

Thanks again John, highly appreciate your remarks.

My Warm Regards,
Link copied to your clipboard.