Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Excuse my ignorance of these matters but can somebody rank three passenger car motor oils with respect to protection during cold start-ups in -30C temperature based on the following specs?

a) 5W30 Synthetic Blend with -39C pour point and CCS 5800 @ -30

b) 5W30 Synthetic Blend with -45C pour point and CCS 4130 @ -30

c) 5W30 Petroleum with -42C pour point and CCS 6600 @ -30
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I agree with TallPaul.

Oil b will perform the best out of the three and its usage will result in in better starting capability and lower fuel consumption during warm-up on account of the lower CCS value at same temperature amongst the three choices. The pour point value also provides for a higher safety band of opertaion should the temperature fall below -39 Degrees C.

Regards

Sandy Deeds
Yes, that is the problem. Some of the best parameters are not reported on the company data sheets, such as MRV and NOACK (instead of which I settle for flash point), and HT/HS. You might try calling the oil company. Sometimes they will give you some of the other data.

But now we are curious as to what are the three oils: a, b, and c?
I have decided to use the Petro Canada 5W30 synthetic blend for my new Chev Cavalier. I realize some people are of the opinion that because the blends are often nearly as expensive as full synthetic, it would be unwise not to opt for the full synthetic. However, here in this part of Canada the Petro Canada synthetic blend is not that much more than petroleum oil but it is less than one-half the price of the popular off-the-shelf full synthetics. Also, in my case, I used one-third of the savings from the GM price reduction incentive to purchase GM no deductible extended warranty for 160,000 kms (100,000 miles). Also, I normally purchase a replacement vehicle by the time I have about 200,000 kms (125,000 miles) on my vehicle.
quote:
Originally posted by Islander:
The three oils to which I referred are as follows:

a) Valvoline 5W30 Durablend

b) Petro Canada's 5W30 Synthetic Blend (Their passenger car motor oil blend as opposed to their Heavy Duty Blend)Specs are at this location: http://www.petro-canada.ca/eng/prodserv/lubesgreases/6886.htm

c) Pennzoil's Conventional 5W30 Mutigrade

The location of the 5W-30 product page has changed. It is now located at http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/597.aspx.
quote:
Originally posted by Islander:
c) 5W30 Petroleum with -42C pour point and CCS 6600 @ -30

6600 for any of the 5w-30's was "max allowable" so that was what was placed on the makers typical data sheet . 7000 for any of the 10w-30 PCMO's .

Pennzoil does this as does Castrol and in this case it might have cost a customer by not providing the real and or exact data they most likely have for the oil .

6600 is just like saying it " passes " Razz
If we have for example 2 oils with different basestocks(one PAO and other semisynth),having close kinematic visc. @ 40 and 100 Celsius ,but the differencies in pour point(-45 C and -27 C) and MRV (25400 cP@ -35 and 24400 cP @ -30 C respectively) are quite pronounced,can one roughly predict the kinematic visc. at given temp? Or near what temps will the gap between the cold start properties of the two oils start to widen drastically(although it will start to,slowly, right after 40C Smile?Is MRV viscosity number strictly empirical?
Widman has a great graph tool,but will not work in this case...

Regards,
Vengerov
Link copied to your clipboard.