Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

I bought a lightly used 15 year old Monaco Coach with a Rockwell 20,000# rear axle. The 15 year old manual calls for 140w axle lube but says 90w140 is OK. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of Mobil 85w140 today thinking that 85-140 was the preferred viscosity. I live in Arizona and plan to pull a 7000# boat trailer. What do you think? Should I exchange what I have for the 140 or have oils improved enough in 15 years that what I have is good enough and may even improve my mileage?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There is a reason Rockwell spec'd a 140 or 90W-140. I'd go with what the part manufacturer recommends. I'm sure ExxonMobil makes a full line of automotive gear oils that includes a 90W-140. I'd return it for the right oil.

The 85W- will have less resistance to flow (aka "viscosity"), but is easier flow always better? Is there an engineering reason Rockwell says don't go lower than 90W-?

I'd get assurance from Rockwell, in writing, before I made that change. Or I'd just use the recommended oil.
Link copied to your clipboard.