Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

hi all,

i have heard people using gear oil 75w-90 in manual gearbox of toyota 1.6 facing problems with noises. A dealer of toyota recommended
ATF OIL to be used there. Is that right?
I know that atf oils have lower viscosity compared with 75w-90. Is tha possible atf to cause problems if used?

What are other recommended products tha can be used in toyota manual gearbox to avoid the problem?

thanks a lot
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My F150 specs ATF in it's manual box ('95). I was having a hard time shifting with the typical 7 cSt (100C viscosity) ATF so I bought some 9 cSt (9 or 9.5, can't remember exact) ATF from http://www.specialtyformulations.com and it shifts a lot better.

BTW, gear oil can damage tranny internals if the tranny is not made for gear oil. High sulfur in gear oil can eat yellow metal such as in syncros. Specialty Formulations and Redline I believe make yellow metal safe gear lube, but also their ATFs have higher levels of antiwear additives and so you should be fine with the ATF.
GREAT... Confused I recently changed the original-fill GL in my 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T to Amsoil synthetic 75W-90 GL because winter was coming and I had experienced difficulty shifting 1-2 with a cold gearbox with a O.A.T. of <50F. I STILL have that problem and am beginning to wonder if the recommendations in the owner's manual (and assembly line) are wrong and I should be using a anti-wear hydraulic (ATF) or engine oil?still Confused
quote:
Originally posted by TallPaul:
My F150 specs ATF in it's manual box ('95). I was having a hard time shifting with the typical 7 cSt (100C viscosity) ATF so I bought some 9 cSt (9 or 9.5, can't remember exact) ATF from http://www.specialtyformulations.com and it shifts a lot better.

BTW, gear oil can damage tranny internals if the tranny is not made for gear oil. High sulfur in gear oil can eat yellow metal such as in syncros. Specialty Formulations and Redline I believe make yellow metal safe gear lube, but also their ATFs have higher levels of antiwear additives and so you should be fine with the ATF.
ATF is way too thin for most manual transmissions, although Ford andMazda are exceptions. Their deep conical brass sychronizers require a thin oil, and anything thicker than a ATF will not work well.
On the Toyotas, we use 75W-90 in the pickups and 4Runners without any problems for the forst 200,000 km or so, then some move up to a 80W-90. Although the synchronizers are brass, they are almost flat and have deep grooves for oil drainage.
Link copied to your clipboard.