Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

I realize this is not a car or a truck topic but can someone here help me with this question: Is it OK to use something like a carb cleaner to clean carbon from a power-valve ? A friend of mine has a quad and he has been using Yamalube and has developed a tremendous amount of carbon and we are wondering if using a solvent of some kind would damage the engine if it was sprayed into the power-valve ? Obviously the PV could be removed and if that's the only way of cleaning it, safely, that's what we will do. Thanks in advance.

'Rider Support'
(C.)918-636-1281
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I recommend referring to the owner's/service manual. Seal/elastomer compatiblity with different types of solvents vary to a large degree, so be careful. Choosing a two-stroke oil design specifically for power valve applications is a good move. There are several products available and experience is the best benchmark in gaging which is "the best oil". In racing applications the Amsoil or Redline products have worked very well for us.
Link copied to your clipboard.