Skip to main content

Hey everyone,
The company I work for is looking into ways to test a certain type of bearing found in the transmissions we rebuild. We want to re-use the bearings if they are good, but we need to come up with a good way to test them. We're actually looking at building a machine to automatically test them. We have all the software and programming capabilies to completely automate the process, I just need some more info on the idea and practices behind the testing measurement. I'm fairly new to the idea of ultra-sonic testing, but I've been doing some reading, and I think this would be the way we want to go. My question is, would anyone have any helpful links to a similar machine? I need to learn some more about exactly what to look for in the ultra-sonics, and some info about what hardware to use - what ultra-sonic sensor to use. Ideally, we would use LABView or a PLC to do the measuring and checking. The operator would insert the bearing, hit start, and the machine would do all the measuring and come back with a pass or fail. It would be great if someone knows where I could find such a machine, and maybe make a trip to see how it has been done before. Any help is appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ultrasonics is one of the tools used for bearing condition monitoring. Most of these technologies, vibration, thermography, oil analaysis are done when the machine is in servcie. I don't understand why you wouldn't as a rule replace the bearings if you have the tranny in for a rebuild. I expect new bearing in the motors and pumps I send for rebuild.
I'm just a maintenance tech here, so I'm not completely sure of all the practices in rebuilding the units, but I'm sure some of the bearings and other parts in the transmissions are costly, and anything that is in good shape and can be re-used will save the consumer money. We don't replace every piece of the transmission, or it would be a new transmission, and would cost accordingly. Whose to say we can't determine if a bearing is good or not?

Anyway, we've found a company that builds bearing testing machines using ultra-sonics and we have an appointment for them to pay us a visit, so problem solved. Thanks for the help though.

Jeremy Backer
Something else to consider is getting bad bearing's rebuilt. My brother works at the Hanover, PA SKF bearing plant and they have a bearing rebuild department. They rebuild bearing's small or large, no matter the manufacturer. Rebuilt bearing's are considerably cheaper then new ones.

I also wanted to add. I have installed several Jasper engines and transmissions over the years and have alway's been happy with your products. I think your on the correct path with bearing inspection. Going from visual to ultra-sonic bearing testing is a good move for you and the customer.
quote:
Originally posted by micbial:
Something else to consider is getting bad bearing's rebuilt. My brother works at the Hanover, PA SKF bearing plant and they have a bearing rebuild department. They rebuild bearing's small or large, no matter the manufacturer. Rebuilt bearing's are considerably cheaper then new ones.

I also wanted to add. I have installed several Jasper engines and transmissions over the years and have alway's been happy with your products. I think your on the correct path with bearing inspection. Going from visual to ultra-sonic bearing testing is a good move for you and the customer.

Well, Thank you for your patronage, and we hope we can continue to provide you with the perfect product in the future.
Link copied to your clipboard.