Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on Oil Analysis and Tribology

Does anyone use Tribol 800-150 synthetic oil? We have switched a worm gear unit over to this oil and are having trouble believing the water content. Base sample reports on a brand new barrel say 2500ppm (K.F. method) and 2200ppm (moisture oven). Castrol is saying there should be no more than 200ppm in that barrel. This oil has a very high additive pkg and I've been told that that would make the water content check inaccurate. Anyone have more info on this!?!?!? Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for your info John! So in your opinion then, since it is expectable to have this amount of water in this type of oil, would it be ok to run this in a worm gear unit as long as we trend it with regular oil analysis (every 2 mo)? If the water started having an affect on the unit we should see changes in viscocity, TAN, and additive pkg levels at that point. Thanks so much!
John and Patty,

I am sorry to not agree when checking the water in oil by KF method.
I prefer to use distillation method rather than KF.
if we found water > 2000 ppm by KF, it should be confirmed easily by distillation.

as per my consideration, the polar characteristic of polygicol will affect the titration agent of KF.

regards,

Nurudin
Link copied to your clipboard.