Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I really enjoyed reading this Thread, we have a member who wants to heat some roller bearings in Synthetic 10W-30 motor oil. From reading the title, I am guessing he already has a quart of Mobil 1 10W-30 Synthetic Oil. He is asking about the safest max temp before ignition.

Tim Vipond, the Amsoil Salesman, does not even answer the OP's question, he puts up an Amsoil Link, breaking Forum Rules.

JMorgan, who is a Schaeffer's Rep, actually answered the OP's question, and he did not even put up a Schaeffer's Link, he did not try and sell him Schaeffer's Oil.

The OP thanks JMorgan
Ha! I used Castrol 10W-30. Heated the oil and bearing in an extra heavy cast iron container to 375F. Pulled the crank shaft out of the chest freezer and the bearing out of the container; using a large pair of pliers to drop the bearing on the shaft. It slid right into place as expected. Thanks for your help. J.D.
The compressor should be back in service by the weekend.
Every engine oil manufacturer will have a specification sheet on the website. If that sheet doesn't tell you the flash point, the Material Safety Data Sheet will, and they are required by law to offer that document to you.

From Mobil 1's website:
Mobil 1 10W-30
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 =224 [degrees C; = 435.2F]

Mobil 1 EP 10W-30
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 =230 [degrees C; = 446F]
You must not confuse flash point with self ignition point. As long as you are careful to keep sources of ignition away, it is safe to heat liquids above their flash point.

Also, It is difficult not to introduce dirt when you heat a bearing in oil. If fitting to a shaft, use dry heat, an oven or hot plate. if you do a lot of such work, pick one up at a garage sale for the shop.
Link copied to your clipboard.