Skip to main content

Read our primer articles: OEE | RCM | Lean Manufacturing | Kaizen Events | FMEA

Please assist with a diagnosis on this machine which I wish to acquire. I am a mechanic but I have very little knowledge of hydraulics. The following hydraulic responses are way too slow: bucket movement and the right hand side track movement. The slew/swing motor has no power. I am wondering if these functions are all fed from the same pump and it could just be a pump adjustment?? I know the pump was recently replaced with a cat dealer reman. unit. Please help ASAP.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is possible that these functions are fed from one pump. Trace the pressure line from each pump back to the control valve to see if all from one pump. Must check pressure at load sense port. Cat uses sensitive load sensing system. Could be a number of things causing slow reaction or low hydraulic power. I have dealt with problems similar to this in the past. Must check pump output pressure before going any further. Are all other hyd functions normal ie. left hand track movement.
First I would check pump output pressure at load sense port on pump in question. Determine if the hyd functions are slow or weak or both. Swing pressure for 330B would be anywhere from 3200-3900 psi. Travel from 4000-5000 psi. A simple easy test you can do to narrow your search is to swap circuit relief valves to see if problem follows relief valve. If load sense reads low possible problem with P.C.O relief valve. If pump strokes, builds high pressure, but is slow doing so possible margin pressure adjustment required. L.S signal acts on pump output pressure plus margins pressure if margin pressure is not right may not allow pump to reach full stroke therefore not displacing the required oil in a given time frame. Saying all this is fine, I try to check all the simple things first!!!!. The reason the pump was replaced was??? Could there be debris in control valve?
Link copied to your clipboard.