Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Hi everyone!

A friend is trying to sell me AmsOil (very cheaply) to put in my 2004 CrossFire. The manual recommends Mobil 0W-40. Is the AmsOil equivalent OK to put in? I've never used Amsoil, but it seems like the AmWay of the lubrication world. Does anyone have experience here?

Thanks.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Since the AmsOil Euro 0W-40 oil is on Mercedes' list (saw a TSB a couple of years ago announcing this) you could use this oil instead of Mobil 1 0W-40 assuming your friend's price can beat what you'd pay for Mobil 1. You may want to stay with the OEM filter -- all I know about the CrossFires is that they're based off an MB SLK roadster and MB has these fleece filters that are required.

Regards,
paul...
quote:
Originally posted by .:[EM]:.:
Allthough Mobil has one of the best formula's available, just compare the specsheets. If it's really a technical equivalent, it should not matter which brand you choose.

Additonal: lowest specification needed for this engine is MB 229.3
If the AmsOil has this approval, you should be save.
Hello. Check Ansoil specs at www.lubedealer.com/mrfilter where you will find extensive comparative testing naming brands fo all applications and parameters. And remenmer their guarentee of 25Kmi/1year which cuts cost by prox 50%,and even more when applying for preferred customer status. All current MFGR specs are met or Exceeded in all their products by application for each mfgr,(Also available free). Best to you ,and continue to enjoy that unique unit.
Link copied to your clipboard.