Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...Number=825144&page=1

Magnason-Moss Act and Amsoil

After the 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty is up I go ahead and buy an extended warranty from Ford, I buy there Ford ESP Plan and take the warranty out to 100,000 miles.


Big Bear, does the above mean that one can purchase Ford's ESP after the purchase, but before the warranty runs out? I didn't purchase, but assumed that if you don't purchase ESP at time you purchased the vehicles, you're out of luck.

I'm assuming Ford Canada has same policy as Ford USA.

Can you clarify, please?
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Vipond:
quote:
Originally posted by inHaliburton:
The reason I began this thread/subject is because a Ford dealer will install Amsoil oil. I do not know what types, though. Not sure if this is commonplace. They are heavily into racing Ford products.

I will try to find out.
Please do. I'd like to know which AMSOIL they install, and if they insist on following Ford's recommended oil change interval or do they say following AMSOIL's recommendations is fine. Thanks.


I sent of a post to Anthony Polito of Polito Ford in Lindsay, Ontario. He's going to get back to me with info.

I have a feeling that Ford is not as generous as GM re OCIs.

My Manual sez 6 months or 8 000 kms. That's it.

If that's the case, XL, or next highest on the list is the oil of choice for me. If they stock it and the price differential is 1 or 2 bucks.

I'll let you know when I know.
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...Number=825144&page=1

Magnason-Moss Act and Amsoil

Tim, I have a question, lets say I by a brand new Ford Mustang and buy Amsoil 100% synthetic oil and I do yearly OCI's.

After the 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty is up I go ahead and buy an extended warranty from Ford, I buy there Ford ESP Plan and take the warranty out to 100,000 miles. I may not put 25,000 miles on in a year, maybe I might put on anywhere between 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year.

If I have a problem with something going wrong in my engine, it seems you said in that thread that Amsoil would fight for me in court, is there any money out of my pocket, and if Amsoil does battle it out with Ford in court, how long will this process take. I cannot drive my beloved Mustang becuase of whatever went wrong in my engine from doing extended drain intervals with Amsoil. Will this whole legal process take a couple of years, will this mean I will have to go out and buy another car since my Mustang is just sitting.


It all depends on what went wrong with the engine. If it was a manufacturing defect, Ford pays. If Ford Motor Company writes that AMSOIL oil failed (which they have to prove), then contact AMSOIL technical who will begin their own investigation at no cost to you. Generally, it only takes a few phone calls to determine what the problem is, and maybe an independent oil and parts analysis which might take a few days. If there is doubt, AMSOIL will authorize repairs, and if their analysis shows the oil did not fail, they will seek reimbursement from Ford. It should only take a few days longer than regular repairs. I have never heard of it going to court. Usually the outcome of the 3rd party oil and part analysis is very clear what caused the failure, thus which company is responsible. You can rent another Mustang in the meantime which should be covered by either company's warranty.
quote:
Originally posted by inHaliburton:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...Number=825144&page=1

Magnason-Moss Act and Amsoil

After the 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty is up I go ahead and buy an extended warranty from Ford, I buy there Ford ESP Plan and take the warranty out to 100,000 miles.


Big Bear, does the above mean that one can purchase Ford's ESP after the purchase, but before the warranty runs out? I didn't purchase, but assumed that if you don't purchase ESP at time you purchased the vehicles, you're out of luck.

I'm assuming Ford Canada has same policy as Ford USA.

Can you clarify, please?


From my understanding, you can purchase the Ford ESP after you purchase your car, you can purchase the Ford ESP right up until your 3 year 36 month warranty expires.

Do not get talked into anyone from Ford on buying any other extended warranty policy, the Ford ESP is the best, and all of the others are worthless, these other 3rd party warranties make you leave the car at the dealer and it can take weeks for a represenative to come out, with the Ford ESP, the service advisor just makes a quick call.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...Number=825144&page=1

Magnason-Moss Act and Amsoil

Tim, I have a question, lets say I by a brand new Ford Mustang and buy Amsoil 100% synthetic oil and I do yearly OCI's.

After the 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty is up I go ahead and buy an extended warranty from Ford, I buy there Ford ESP Plan and take the warranty out to 100,000 miles. I may not put 25,000 miles on in a year, maybe I might put on anywhere between 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year.

If I have a problem with something going wrong in my engine, it seems you said in that thread that Amsoil would fight for me in court, is there any money out of my pocket, and if Amsoil does battle it out with Ford in court, how long will this process take. I cannot drive my beloved Mustang becuase of whatever went wrong in my engine from doing extended drain intervals with Amsoil. Will this whole legal process take a couple of years, will this mean I will have to go out and buy another car since my Mustang is just sitting.


It all depends on what went wrong with the engine. If it was a manufacturing defect, Ford pays. If Ford Motor Company writes that AMSOIL oil failed (which they have to prove), then contact AMSOIL technical who will begin their own investigation at no cost to you. Generally, it only takes a few phone calls to determine what the problem is, and an independent oil and parts analysis which might take a few days. If there is doubt, AMSOIL will authorize repairs, and if their analysis shows the oil did not fail, they will seek reimbursement from Ford. It should only take a few days longer than regular repairs. You can rent another Mustang in the meantime which should be covered by either company's warranty.


It all comes down to the end user. The OEM will pass it off to the Oil company, who passes it off to the end user. The end user will have to PROVE they did everything just right. That of course includes documentation. As far as the bigger engines go, if you are doing extended drains, you'd better being doing regular oil analysis over the drain interval.
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Vipond:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...Number=825144&page=1

Magnason-Moss Act and Amsoil

Tim, I have a question, lets say I by a brand new Ford Mustang and buy Amsoil 100% synthetic oil and I do yearly OCI's.

After the 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty is up I go ahead and buy an extended warranty from Ford, I buy there Ford ESP Plan and take the warranty out to 100,000 miles. I may not put 25,000 miles on in a year, maybe I might put on anywhere between 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year.

If I have a problem with something going wrong in my engine, it seems you said in that thread that Amsoil would fight for me in court, is there any money out of my pocket, and if Amsoil does battle it out with Ford in court, how long will this process take. I cannot drive my beloved Mustang becuase of whatever went wrong in my engine from doing extended drain intervals with Amsoil. Will this whole legal process take a couple of years, will this mean I will have to go out and buy another car since my Mustang is just sitting.


It all depends on what went wrong with the engine. If it was a manufacturing defect, Ford pays. If Ford Motor Company writes that AMSOIL oil failed (which they have to prove), then contact AMSOIL technical who will begin their own investigation at no cost to you. Generally, it only takes a few phone calls to determine what the problem is, and maybe an independent oil and parts analysis which might take a few days. If there is doubt, AMSOIL will authorize repairs, and if their analysis shows the oil did not fail, they will seek reimbursement from Ford. It should only take a few days longer than regular repairs. I have never heard of it going to court. Usually the outcome of the 3rd party oil and part analysis is very clear what caused the failure, thus which company is responsible. You can rent another Mustang in the meantime which should be covered by either company's warranty.


Let's say it was a lubrication failure, like a rod or some other lubricated part that goes bad, your telling me that if Ford denies my warranty because I did extended drains with Amsoil, so Amsoil is going to jump in and take care of this in a few days, that sounds really optimistic, I just might have to go and let my Amsoil Rep read this thread and see what he thinks.
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:

Let's say it was a lubrication failure, like a rod or some other lubricated part that goes bad, your telling me that if Ford denies my warranty because I did extended drains with Amsoil, so Amsoil is going to jump in and take care of this in a few days, that sounds really optimistic, I just might have to go and let my Amsoil Rep read this thread and see what he thinks.
It depends why the lubricated part went bad. If the lubricated part goes bad, because of a manufacturing defect, Ford pays. If the lubricant failed, then AMSOIL pays. It shouldn't take more than a few days to determine the cause of the failure. You might consider calling AMSOIL technical to verify.
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Vipond:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:

Let's say it was a lubrication failure, like a rod or some other lubricated part that goes bad, your telling me that if Ford denies my warranty because I did extended drains with Amsoil, so Amsoil is going to jump in and take care of this in a few days, that sounds really optimistic, I just might have to go and let my Amsoil Rep read this thread and see what he thinks.
It depends why the lubricated part went bad. If the lubricated part goes bad, because of a manufacturing defect, Ford pays. If the lubricant failed, then AMSOIL pays. It shouldn't take more than a few days to determine the cause of the failure. You might consider calling AMSOIL technical to verify.


So, it is going to take Amsoil only a couple of days to send someone out and verify that it was there oil that failed. I am going to talk with my Amsoil Rep instead of calling the Amsoil Tech Line, at least with my Amsoil Rep I can look him in the eye when I talk with him as opposed to some carefully worded response from an Amsoil tech that is talking from a script to me from over the phone.

This all just sounds to good to be true, I think I will stick with the manufactures suggested OCI.
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Vipond:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:

Let's say it was a lubrication failure, like a rod or some other lubricated part that goes bad, your telling me that if Ford denies my warranty because I did extended drains with Amsoil, so Amsoil is going to jump in and take care of this in a few days, that sounds really optimistic, I just might have to go and let my Amsoil Rep read this thread and see what he thinks.
It depends why the lubricated part went bad. If the lubricated part goes bad, because of a manufacturing defect, Ford pays. If the lubricant failed, then AMSOIL pays. It shouldn't take more than a few days to determine the cause of the failure. You might consider calling AMSOIL technical to verify.


So, it is going to take Amsoil only a couple of days to send someone out and verify that it was there oil that failed. I am going to talk with my Amsoil Rep instead of calling the Amsoil Tech Line, at least with my Amsoil Rep I can look him in the eye when I talk with him as opposed to some carefully worded response from an Amsoil tech that is talking from a script to me from over the phone.

This all just sounds to good to be true, I think I will stick with the manufactures suggested OCI.


Better yet, why don't you email AMSOIL technical with your warranty question, so you can get their answer back in writing. They are the one responsible for the warranty, not an AMSOIL Dealer. Then you can paste their answer here.

Here is a copy of the AMSOIL warranty: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1363.pdf?zo=1181889 .

Here is a copy of the AMSOIL claim procedure: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g40.pdf?zo=1181889 .
Lots of the use of the words "it depends", it does depend. Sometimes it depends upon a lawyer, or a regional manger, and how good a fighter you are. All the while the car sits useless.

As far as Amsoil sometimes paying out as "Goodwill" they'll put a limit on how good their Goodwill is! If it is big Bucks, it will be handed right on over the their legal dept.

MFG suggested approved oils, and their suggested intervals are your best bet till the warranty runs out.

AD
quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:
Lots of the use of the words "it depends", it does depend. Sometimes it depends upon a lawyer, or a regional manger, and how good a fighter you are. All the while the car sits useless.
I haven't seen that with AMSOIL. If you have, please post.

quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:As far as Amsoil sometimes paying out as "Goodwill" they'll put a limit on how good their Goodwill is! If it is big Bucks, it will be handed right on over the their legal dept.
I don't see where AMSOIL has any warranty complaints with any consumer, consumer organization, or government agency. If you do, please post.

quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:MFG suggested approved oils, and their suggested intervals are your best bet till the warranty runs out.
Unless the MFG suggested approved oils and suggested intervals fail, as has been the case with Toyota, VW, Audi, Chrysler, and Saab, Dodge, Jeep, Lexus, who had to revise their oil recommendations, change intervals and caused the customers to pay out of pocket and lengthen their warranty coverage. Then it could fall back to the oil company. That is why I like to use a better oil than their recommended approved oils that barely meet their spec, and a company with an outstanding warranty, should their products ever fail.
1: Do you like having to make payments on a car sitting on a lot while the game of "They said/They said" goes through the courts?

2: Do you want to be the walnut between the jaws of an oil maker and a car maker?

3: Do you really want to go on public record telling the world why you're too stupid to follow the mfg warranty?

Or would you rather just follow the contract you agreed to by buying the car in the first place, and avoid all the above?
quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:
1: Do you like having to make payments on a car sitting on a lot while the game of "They said/They said" goes through the courts?
Do you know of such a case with AMSOIL? Please post.

quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:2: Do you want to be the walnut between the jaws of an oil maker and a car maker?
Do you know of such a case with AMSOIL? Please post.

quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:3: Do you really want to go on public record telling the world why you're too stupid to follow the mfg warranty?
Do you know of such a case with AMSOIL? Please post.

quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:3:Or would you rather just follow the contract you agreed to by buying the car in the first place, and avoid all the above?
Again, this is what GM says:

“The New Vehicle Warranty would not be void simply because an owner failed to use proper engine oils or did not perform maintenance at the prescribed intervals. Warranty applicability is contingent upon the cause of failure.”
Service Policies and Procedures Department,
General Motors Corporation “

And again, Unless the MFG suggested approved oils and suggested intervals fail, as has been the case with Toyota, VW, Audi, Chrysler, and Saab, Dodge, Jeep, Lexus, who had to revise their oil recommendations, change intervals and caused the customers to pay out of pocket and lengthen their warranty coverage. Then it could fall back to the oil company. That is why I like to use a better oil than their recommended approved oils that barely meet their spec, and a company with an outstanding warranty, should their products ever fail.
quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:

1: Do you like having to make payments on a car sitting on a lot while the game of "They said/They said" goes through the courts?


YES or you will destroy your credit, and run the risk of a repo.


quote:
2: Do you want to be the walnut between the jaws of an oil maker and a car maker?


Nope, but you will!

quote:
3: Do you really want to go on public record telling the world why you're too stupid to follow the mfg warranty?


No

quote:
Or would you rather just follow the contract you agreed to by buying the car in the first place, and avoid all the above?


Yep. Actually quite simple Trajan, some people just like to complicate things.


Remember many times when a company pays a settlement for a claim both parties sign papers that they won't disclose terms of the settlement. That helps maintain a company's reputation, that agreement is legally binding too, it is part of the settlement. So finding something on the internet would be tough. Service writers and my machine shop buddy told me of customer woes not using approved oil, and not following the mfg recommended OCI's. A Honda writer told me of problems with Amsoil ATF used in an Accord., some universal fluid they offer.

AD
Poor shift quality, which was resolved by changing the fluid back to the Honda ATF. Customer was an avid DIY'er and decided to change his ATF to Amsoil ATF, according to the service writer the job was done properly. The guy took the car into Honda to have it checked out, they drained and refilled with Honda ATF problem solved. There are a few cases of this in some of the Honda forums I was told. I did not look for myself. There are also people satisfied with Amsoil ATF in Honda cars.

AD
quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:
Poor shift quality, which was resolved by changing the fluid back to the Honda ATF. Customer was an avid DIY'er and decided to change his ATF to Amsoil ATF, according to the service writer the job was done properly. The guy took the car into Honda to have it checked out, they drained and refilled with Honda ATF problem solved. There are a few cases of this in some of the Honda forums I was told. I did not look for myself. There are also people satisfied with Amsoil ATF in Honda cars.

AD
I'm reading at BITOG http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...=1902558#Post1902558 that they seem to prefer AMSOIL ATF over the Honda Z1. It is unanimous so far in that thread. And in this BITOG thread http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...umber=1852119&page=2 . And this BITOG thread http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...umber=1631140&page=7 .
And this at BITOG http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...wflat&Number=1107830 .
And this BITOG http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...umber=1253297&page=2 .
Last edited by timvipond
quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:
I'm not talking about Bitog I'm talking about a Honda service writer Tim. I figured you'd ref that thread.

There are a lot of stories floating around about people having issues with Amsoil ATF. Look you'll find them.

Just like the issues they're having with their oil filters.

AD
So one quote from a Honda service writer about one transmission outweighs dozens of testimonials on BITOG? I've looked in and posted 5 threads so far and haven't found any AMSOIL ATF issues yet. They all said the AMSOIL ATF was better than the Honda Z1. Please post the issues about people having issues with the AMSOIL ATF. Several mentioned they got the idea to switch from the Honda Z1 to AMSOIL from the rave reviews AMSOIL got in Honda forums.
Last edited by timvipond

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×