Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Next lubrication question from left field. Does anybody have any experience with this product, either as just their concentrate to add to your desired brand of motor oil, or their full motor oil with this as part of the additive package?

I was looking for compatability issues since they say that it is an extreme pressure additive, and most oils, if not all from what I've read and learned, have no extreme pressure additive package in them to begin with.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A long while back I saw two analysis's where mineral oil was doped with it and used in gas auto engines . There was not a trend involved that I saw and no evidence of anything but a lighter pocket book when all was said n done in those two usesages. Maybe it works for other user's though .

The Valvoline Synthetic additive does work though at 1 ounce per quart treat rates with many oils . Reduces Fe time after time and bumps TBN a bit but even with it there is no real replacement for buying and using well formulated oils to start with .
Yeah , your not going to beat using best oil possible for a given task based on some educated purchasing .

There's sleeper dino's that will run with some OTC synthetics in peformance while thumping them in the cost aspect .

There's also some sleeper synthetics out there as well that in my view don't get counted at other forums because there is no money in it ...
Dad2leia writes:

"I was looking for compatibility issues since they say that it is an extreme pressure additive, and most oils, if not all from what I've read and learned have no extreme pressure additive package in them to begin with."

Not true. ZDDP is a very common extreme pressure anti-wear additive/anti-oxidant found in most common automotive lubricating oils. If you prefer, you can go to BLOBITOG and read what the talkers that talk about oil all day long say about it, or go here:

http://www.lubrizol.com/LubeTheory/prop.asp

and read what the people who DESIGN AND MANUFACTURE OIL ADDITIVES FOR A LIVING all day long say about it. Your choice.

The Chevron site (Chevron Oronite division designs and manufactures oil additives too) has some good info also.

http://chevron.com/PRODUCTS/oronite/

Expect some fairly technical accurate articles rather than the, "I heard that. . . . , My friend said that. . . . , My dad said that . . . . , My mechanic told me that . . . . blah, blah, blah, type discussion so popular elsewhere on the net.

Chumley
Link copied to your clipboard.