Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

quote:
Originally posted by Nucleardawg:
@ Kirk: DUH..Yes synthetic oils have only gotten better...Tell us something we don't know...But guess what...So have mineral oils...Your still not to smart.

Nuke/Trajen.....You are now on my ignore list for being unprofessional......you have been notified!!!!!!!! I will now only have sensible dialogue and intelligent exchanges!!
Last edited by captainkirk
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Kirk:
quote:
(Mercedes telling people they could go up to 20K on mineral oil for example.)

You have failed to give any proof ever..........like the 20k Benz remark above for starters............still waiting trajen. That was a bold remark/lie.....you can't back!!!!!

kirk

My dear fellow, I've done that in one of the locked threads. It was one of many suits launched by consumers against car makers concerning sludge due to faulty engine design/recommendations.

For someone who has yet to prove claims such as the CTS reduced OCI, or how all those sludge suits were due to oil, you have chutzpah.

https://forums.noria.com/eve/fo...=614104214#614104214

I guess you fogot that one? We'll ignore the fact that you falsely claimed to use your real identity.

Now, about that Cadillac reducing OCIs on the CTS...........

All in all, there has been nothing that refutes the OP's points.
Last edited by trajan
This is what I am talking about.

NEW STANDARDS ......the old didn't work well

Real world data is the best as described below using Dynos!! The old way of collecting data was not reliable!!!

GF-5 Issues
Most of the issues surrounding the coming GF-5 oil standard have to do with engineering test procedures that are obsolete or need to be changed. The current Sequence IV-B fuel economy test, which is done in a laboratory on a test bench, will have to be replaced with some type of engine dynamometer test that more accurately simulated real-world driving conditions. The new test procedure should be ready by early next year.

GF-5 may also require reducing phosphorous and sulfur even more to extend the life of the catalytic converter to 150,000 miles and beyond. Phosphorous and sulfur can contaminate the catalyst and reduce the life of the converter if the engine uses oil. But both of these ingredients are also important anti-wear agents, so the fear is that reducing phosphorous and sulfur too much may end up reducing the life of the engine itself.

There are already concerns that today’s levels of phosphorous may be too low for older pushrod engines with flat tappet camshafts. Camshafts with flat-bottom lifters generate a lot more friction between the cam lobes and lifters than roller cams with roller lifters. Consequently, cam lobe wear in older engines may be a problem if the oil does not contain adequate levels of anti-wear agents, or if the oil is not changed regularly.

IN SUM ............Motor oil may be developing more issues in the very near future(next year) then less issues. It's all about the EPA and environmental issues which is what led to all the motor oil sludge issues due to the emission systems on the cars choking down the engines ability to breathe and less than ideal oil formulations to deal with it!!

Now car engines will be dealing with wear and tear issues on this new standard.....besides the sludge issues. The sludge issues might be less...........but more wear on your engine is no better,and even worse!! Can you say, "look at my clean..worn out..almost new engine" !!!!

Let me guess.....when that happens you'll say....."bad engine"......."good oil"...."sue the automakers again for something the oil did" Well........you've been warned!!!

I won't have any issues because I will be using...............

High tech synthetic oils group IV/V with all the 'right stuff'......
quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:
quote:
quote:

Cadillac/cts has just lowered their oci's on those models,and has been re-flashing the prom on vehicles in for service

And the proof is where................

Well?

How typical of you, Trajan­. When backed into a corner, you completely ignore what is presented, then you throw out a smokescreen of nonsense to take off the heat.

Well? Well? Well? Well?
My own opinion Kirk is that using a quality dino with moderate oil change intervals no sludge issue would be present.

A irresponsible owner of a vehicle can be another reason for sludge.

Personally I have never owned a vehicle with a sludged engine. Marketing likes to play us, drumming into our heads, if were not using brand x, then watch out here come 'Da Sludge'
quote:

I won't have any issues because I will be using...............

High tech synthetic oils group IV/V with all the 'right stuff'......

At least you're dumping that synlube.

Now, about that Cadillac reducing ocis??????

All the obsolete information and dodging does not alter the facts.

The OP's mower engine is fine.

The use of API mineral/dino is fine.

A good engine design along with reasonable oil changes and the use of approved oil goes a long way in combating sludge.
Last edited by trajan
quote:
This BITOG thread talks about 'BLACK DEATH' engine sludge/deposits and why some are using European 100% PAO in their European rides.

Those oil change monitors are calibrated for it!!!

http://webcache.googleusercont...&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

just as bad about bringing up issue that happened a long, long time ago...... your link.

Explain why it isn't mentioned in the present. You know, 2010.

The 15k miles done with Gr III oil, spec 5w-30, and the lack of sludge I've dealt with.

got a cheap product bulk oil from their local home improvement centers
they also did extended drains without considering the consequences. Negligence is an ubiquitous problem.

your link.

Don't know why you bring up the 1980s or 90s when the year is 2010.We don't use oil from the 1980s, or even the 1940s for that matter.

Doesn't change the facts stated by the OP.
Last edited by trajan
@ Trajan: Thanks for the last post, informative

You will not get any answer concerning the Cadillac...But you know that.

Modern dino oils are vastly superior to the oils of yester year...Anyone who would deny that, well is just plain ignorant...

As you mentioned if you have a known vehicle that uses a engine that is prone to sludge, your going to have to reduce the oil change interval, faulty or poorly designed PCV systems can be attributed to this issue.
Again, from one of his links: Used-car shoppers should also realize that even the most complained-about engines represented less than 1 percent of those made, so the odds of avoiding such a car are in your favor.

Consumers who own cars with sludge-prone engines should change the oil according to the “extreme use” schedule in the owner’s manual.

This is at the top of his list: http://www.consumerreports.org...e/overview/index.htm

So, here's a question. Why all those V6 3.0ls on the list?

I have a 3.0L I6, and it isn't on the list.

Don't see any Fords on the list. Or GMs either. If it's an oil problem, why not?
I just noticed 9 ignored posts by Trajen/nuke..........all not worth reading or opening/showing.........because that one poster(trajen/nuke are the same)......always divert away from the actual facts and now flood this thread with whatever "trash talk" he is spewing again to serve is crazy agenda!!

He Must be a big oil straw boss/shill/troll!!!!

So why listen ever again to this 'character' due to the obvious political agenda he is trying to serve or push!

To spew distorted information!!!!

All I ever post/ed are the real scientific facts!

What/who do you want to believe??

The Facts without spin(what I have shown already)....or a straw man argument(Trajen/Nuke),with all kinds of spin!!

You be the Judge!

Kirk
Ahh, I'd let it go. His own links don't back up his claims.

Not much more we can do. Deltona's info hasn't been refuted. The auto makers don't blame the oil for the sludge problems. The customers haven't blamed the oil companies.

His own links show he's been on the wrong track.

Have a sludge prone engine? Change the oil/filter more often. The "severe service" schedule. (Not everyone does the filter. I just figure, what's another $10-$15 on top of 7qts?).

Use mfg approved oil. If not, at least API certed oil.

There is no miracle oil. No magic fix.
Last edited by trajan
This is off the net....shows oil is a fault for causing sludge.

Most common cause of sludge problem

As complex as the issue of sludge formation is, the most common cause of the sludge problem is the oil itself.
More exactly it is the use of either substandard oil like API SA or just using even the top quality oil for just too long.
As "obvious" as this may be, it is not surprising that general motoring public is not aware of either of these two problems.
Even if your "Owner's Manual" recommends top API or ILSAC quality motor oil, there is not any assurance that the local cut rate "quick oil change" outlet actually will use it in your vehicle, more often than not they will use deeply discounted "surplus" bulk oil whose quality is either substandard or as bad as API SA !
The second most common reason is just running way too long on the motor oil for the given type of service.
Another not too often disclosed fact is that during the ILSAC or API engine tests on motor oils, the oil life is measured in HOURS, and yet only very few vehicles sold anywhere in the world have ENGINE HOUR RUN meters.
The normal motor oil recommended service frequency is specified in miles or kilometers, but the motor oil life is in hours of service.
I remember way back........someone wanted to know why big oil was not sued......think again......this tells a different story.

The oil in question is a group III.......not the true synthetic group IV/V.

The oil filter was also blamed. That's why I use only depth filters with the backing support screen,or the new Bosch Distance depth filter. In either case, a group three oil can sludge and then block the filter putting the blame on the filter when the oil was at fault all along.

This would not have happened with a 100% PAO/GROUP IV/V OIL. No sludge,and no blocked filters....period! Just a super clean engine.

This engine below wasn't so lucky with the group III oil. The opposite of super clean!!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...wflat&Number=1653077

This is the very famous BG product addressing sludge issues and mentions oil quality as an issue.

http://www.bgprod.com/blendr/sludgeKills.html
quote:
Originally posted by inHaliburton:
I used to be in the habit of using quick lube outlets and using a synthetic oil from the hose. Since reading some of these threads, I take my own oil or purchase a quality synthetic from a bottle, not a barrel.

inHaliburton,

That's the smartest thing I've heard in a while!! I am glad you've been reading,and you won't be sorry. Playing it safe/smart is always a good bet!

Happy motoring!

Kirk
This is a Jay Leno interview with a Torco Rep.

It discusses what is wrong with modern day motor oil products, and how you can address the wear and tear issues occurring in both older car engines.....and newer car engines to stop or reduce wear due to the lack of anti-wear additives due to modern day car emission control systems that don't allow the use certain anti-wear additives of yesteryear that once protected our engines.

This interview implies that colloids shown in the second product are needed to replace those lost additives. Modern day colloids are better than zinc ever was, by reducing more friction....zinc just cost more! Zinc is what's discussed in the first product.

Colloids also stop those dry damaging cold starts that zinc couldn't even stop back in the day... as would be in the second product.

http://www.enginebuildermag.co...ay_lenos_garage.aspx
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cadillac/cts has just lowered their oci's on those models,and has been re-flashing the prom on vehicles in for service

Well?

You haven't backed up this "claim" yet.

I know, you can't.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well?

You haven't backed up this "claim" yet.

I know, you can't.

Trajan, where's that vehicle you claim a neighbour of yours has that blew up from using Synlube?

Well?

You haven't backed up that claim Yet.

Ya, I know, you can't. Wink Wink
quote:
I remember way back........someone wanted to know why big oil was not sued......think again......this tells a different story.

The oil in question is a group III.......not the true synthetic group IV/V.

The oil filter was also blamed. That's why I use only depth filters with the backing support screen,or the new Bosch Distance depth filter. In either case, a group three oil can sludge and then block the filter putting the blame on the filter when the oil was at fault all along.

This would not have happened with a 100% PAO/GROUP IV/V OIL. No sludge,and no blocked filters....period! Just a super clean engine.

This engine below wasn't so lucky with the group III oil. The opposite of super clean!!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...wflat&Number=1653077

Another fail for you. (BTW, I remember someone, not too long ago, saying "big oil" doesn't get sued. Some tripe about them being too big.

That same person should look up the word potential as well. I also wonder if that same person could explain the part colored in red. Guess that potential suit had no merit.)

"Mobil(e) 1's fault?!? Hardly, he's got ZERO case there. You don't have to be a Mobil fan to recognize that if it WERE a common contributor to sludge, we'd know about it here on BITOG. Its a perfectly adequate oil, and less likely to cause sludge than many, many other other oils out there." (It would be known here too.)

"He got the check cut from Nissan, not Mobil."

"The fact that Nissan is paying for the repair says to me that the cause was something within the engine or emissions control system"

You really should *read* these links first lad.

And, I know I'm asking the impossible, but you can prove M1 is a grp III? EM does not publicly discuss formulations.

Got that bulliten from GM that says the OCIs were reduced for the CTS?
Last edited by trajan
quote:
Trajan, where's that vehicle you claim a neighbour of yours has that blew up from using Synlube?

Well?

You haven't backed up that claim Yet.

Ya, I know, you can't. Wink Wink

inHaliburton.....Very good point. But remember....Trajen only makes demands for proof,and never provides any of his own.

We are also still waiting for trajen to back his claim that Mercedes Benz was recommending oil change intervals of 20,000 miles on petroleum oil. He failed on that one as well

It's for reasons like mentioned above and all of trajens other lies and slander is why I have placed him on my IGNORE list along with his alter ego...Nuke..where he will stay until/IF he mans up and quits with his DRIVEL!!!

Snakedoctor.... being trajens other screen name is next to be ignored if he resurfaces with drivel as well.
Link copied to your clipboard.