Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

OK. How can this lubricant handle engine contamination by-products over such a long period of time? Every mile driven is going to contribute some contamination products, mainly unburned fuel and moisture. If the lubricant is inert it will not combine with these contaminates, but they will remain and accumulate in the crankcase.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

SYNSKEPTIC wrote OK. How can this lubricant handle engine contamination by-products over such a long period of time? Every mile driven is going to contribute some contamination products, mainly unburned fuel and moisture. If the lubricant is inert it will not combine with these contaminates, but they will remain and accumulate in the crankcase.

SynLube's ability to last for so long is based on it's superior ability to seal at the rings much better than conventional lubricants. This is because the solid lubricants are embossed into the walls of the cylinder so the seal is almost perfect. Unburned fuel is not a problem in any engine that is in repair. What unburned fuel is left after combustion is exhausted rather than being allowed to seep past the rings. Remember that even in the most mundane engine, the air-fuel mixture is traveling at hundreds of miles per hour. In a high-revving engine, the air- fuel mixture reaches close to supersonic speed. Unless the rings are broken, almost nothing gets past them. Also, keep in mind that gasoline evaporates and is eliminated from the system by the crankcase ventilation system even if the engine isn't running.

SynLube's ability to handle moisture is unsurpassed because it doesn't respond to it. Besides, a single drive of 10-15 miles will purge any water from the crankcase system. As with gasoline, water trapped in the crankcase will also evaporate through the crankcase vent system.

It is beyond the scope of this forum to go into a full discussion of the merits of this lubricant. I suggest going to the website and reading the information. If you do, leave behind all the indoctrination conventional lubricant companies have spent millions training you to believe. SynLube lubricants are a different ballgame.

I have been using their products for close to four years now and they work day in and day out.
quote:
An unfortunate comment Callista.
Yes.

quote:
Just because the lubricant is unfamiliar is no reason to disregard it out of hand

I doubt that the claims you wrote above are true. Reason being: It is unfamiliar to me, I have no data, you stated that correctly!

I read many SAE papers about oil, in fact I think I am quite up to date about modern oil technology. I have never found in any SAE paper a single hint what would support your claims above.

In addition I must say, some statements you made are simply wrong.

If everything you wrote was true, you would never have to change the oil again. You would have no TBN depletion at all, no TAN rise at all, no viscosity increase.

quote:
If you do, leave behind all the indoctrination conventional lubricant companies have spent millions training you to believe.

Wow, this Company knows it all, all other Institutes and Companies are conventional and have no idea of what they are doing. Roll Eyes

According to my experience in the past, no one can fool on the laws of physics and chemistry.

My conclusion from your statements and my experience from the past: I stay skeptic.
SynLube is an extremely small company that does not have any advertising except for its webpage. Even to many who have been in the automotive industry for a long time, their existance is still a surprise and they obviously cannot compete with the more powerful competitors here and don't even try.

Despite Callisa's blanket refusal to consider SynLube's advantages, I believe the information that I provided you is essentially correct. I am not an oil expert as Callista claims to be (and may well be) but I have seen "experts" deny the quality of this product many times before. The two most frequently given excuses for writing SynLube off are: 1) If it is as good as is it is supposed to be why aren't car manufacturers using it? 2) If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is. When I hear those responses, it's as sure as the sun rises, they have made up their minds to ignore it whatever the cost.

The BobIsTheOilGuy site was particularly resistant to new information treating SynLube from the start as a snake oil. Many of them claim to be experts but true experts learn about something before making a judgment and I didn't get that sense from many of their responses.

One of my theories about this kind of behavior is that oil guys love to talk about how clean their oil is after 5K miles and how the oil analysis they just got back shows that there's no problems. Switch to SynLube and all that enjoyment's gone because you can put it in a properly operating engine and just about forget it except to check for proper fluid levels once in a while. Life gets very dull.

I've seen this happen with bicycles. When I got started with them back in the 70s, the parts were very poor. Shifting was terrible and failures were frequent. There was a sense of excitement with every ride and if I got home without a problem, it was great. With better components came better performance and reliability and cycling became less exciting.

As I've pointed out, I have almost 4 years of experience with this lubricant. I have never had a problem with it. Oil consumption runs about 40-60K miles per quart. My fuel consumption is generally better than others who have comparable vehicles (Focus and Ranger), even those who claim to drive as conservatively as I do.

Being a skeptic is a good starting point for investigation if it doesn't mean rejecting information without justification. Why don't you read through the pages of the website and see if you don't see some one who is writing in good faith. I admit, the style of writing isn't great but Miro Kefurt is a member of SAE and has a thorough background in chemistry that shows in this oil formula. Finally, e-mail him with a couple of questions about things that concern you and get his response. More than anything else, his common sense responses to my questions were what convinced me to try SynLube.

One final point: The latest version of the SynLube formula, introduced in 1996, exceeded the new API SM and the ILSAC GF-4 (?) specs without modification.
Last edited by houckster
To pass an API test is not that hard... it isn't one of the higher standards of the world industry.
I wonder if this Synlube can cope with the harder tests from VAG and DaimlerChrysler. (I really don't know...)

If your findings are true I wonder why there isn't a european company who's trying it overhere. Synlube may be small, but if their idea is a revolution in oiltechnique, I'm sure there would be spin-offs comming overhere...

But I'm not here to criticize all the texts your putting in. Can you paste some links here with additional information on this product? Maybe this turns over my scepticism ;-)
One of the reasons there are not more lubricants on the market with SynLube's properties is that it is always more profitable to sell an adequate product lots of times than one just once.

BTW, meeting the API standards was not that easy. I'm told that the implementation for the SM spec was held up nearly a year because so many dino oils were experiencing difficulties.

With regard to European makes, the competition is just overwhelming for a company like SynLube. It can't stand up to the competition from companies like Castrol, Shell, Motul, etc.

In Russia however, there has been more acceptance and Miro Kefurt spends some time over there. In that country with maintenance facility being much less abundant, SynLube meets more acceptance. GAS Volga

Speaking of a lack of maintenance facilities here's where SynLube reallyshines: Sojourner

Here are the specifications, that SynLube meets.
Last edited by houckster
@Houckster
I'll do some quotes from their homepage, I hope that this is O.K. with the webmaster. I just want to explain, what simple things are really wrong with this Company.

quote:
SynLube™ Lube-4-Life ® ...for Engines is intended for use in all Automotive, Industrial, Marine, Aviation and Agricultural applications where the use of Petroleum or Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended by the OEM

quote:
ACEA ES-99 European Specifications for Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil
ACEA B4-98 European Specifications for Light Duty High Speed Diesel Engine Oil

So, I may use that oil in every engine. I guess they mean ACEA E5, not ES, there is no ACEA ES specification.

quote:
- Not for use in Diesel fueled engines ! -
Huh? They have passed two important European Diesel Specs, ACEA E5, B5 and they warn me to use their product in a Diesel engine????

Besides, this is the first product worldwide to pass GF-4 and E5. Amazing if you know, that testing for the GF-4 spec has started for candidate oils maybe one or two months ago.

It would lead to far to explain why, but it is impossible to pass all the mentioned specs with one oil. It's like being world champion in Marathon and 100m at the same time at the olympic games.

Reading this page makes me even more confident that I am correct in being skeptic. After reading this, I wouldn't even want try their products.

And these are just the worst mistakes I saw in just 2 minutes.
Callisa: Calm down! You are so intent on condemning this product that you don't stop to specifically state what is inconsistant or wrong. I read your post twice and you are obviously referring to something you've seen but have not included in your post.

Now, I will be the first to tell you that I don't pay much attention to diesels because I don't have one. If there is a mistake in the specs about them or anything else, I am sure that it is unintentional and I would be glad to forward this to SynLube if you would provide a clear statement as to what problem(s) you find.

With regard to the GF-4 standard, I was told that the specs that would comprise this standard were about a year late coming out and that the reason for this was that dino oil providers were having trouble meeting the original requirements. My take is that now we are seeing the formal adoption process after adopting specifications that the dino oil guys could meet. I could be wrong on this as I don't have access to all the information you seem to have. I take Miro Kefurt's word because he is a member of the SAE and should be aware of what's going on.
quote:
Callisa: Calm down!
You are right.

quote:
I read your post twice and you are obviously referring to something you've seen but have not included in your post.

I am not really against the product itself. The product might be good, but I don't think it can fulfill all promises made here.

I quoted from the homepage that the product passed several important ACEA Diesel Specs.

Why am I warned afterwards to use this product in a Diesel engine? A Diesel engine is very common in Europe, and I may use this product for every car for every OEM. (Stated on the Homepage)

But let's have some fun. You know the guy, and I wrote that it is impossible to fulfill all Specs with one oil, right?

You get the Oilcode under which the product has passed all claimed specs. Each oil gets such a code to make the formulation unique besides its brand name. I write an Email (or give you the adress) and ask for this miracle product at API, ILSAC and ACEA and find out, if this product is licensed under the claimed specs.

Do we have a deal? Cool
@PJD
Thank you. Smile The specifications they claim are funny anyway. With all ACEA test results they have, they could easily get some DC and VW Spec releases without any additional cost. All they would have to do is present these ACEA results to VW (Dr. Koßmehl) and DC (J. Schenk).

@ Houckster
I quoted this from your link Product description. The purple letters " Not for use in Diesel fueled engines ! -"

What do they mean? Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by Callisa:
@PJD
Thank you. Smile The specifications they claim are funny anyway. With all ACEA test results they have, they could easily get some old but still valid DC and VW Spec releases without any additional cost. All they would have to do is present these ACEA results to VW and DC.

@ Houckster
I quoted this from your link http://www.synlube.com/prod01.htm. The purple letters " Not for use in Diesel fueled engines ! -"

What do they mean?

[QUOTE] I don't know if he will let me have that information or not.

Hey, come on. What's so secret about that? All I want to see is the proof for these claims. You may make your own thoughts of what I think about this Company, if he is not in a postion to tell this oil code.

Do we have a deal? Wink
Slick 50 contains PTFE same as Synlube

This is the transcript of an AA article published in Motor May 10th 1986.

The widely-advertised oil additive Slick 50 has been soundly slammed by the AA’s Technical Services.
The AA claim that their tests show Slick 50 provides no fuel savings when it is added to a cars engine oil – and there is no evidence of any other benefits under normal operating conditions.
The AA have made no press or public announcement of their report, but have produced a leaflet for the benefit of any paid-up members who apply for one. An AA member on Motor’s staff applied for a report in the normal way.
The report states that whilst there is no evidence the product will do harm to the engine, one good point is that most of it will be very rapidly removed by the oil filter. “At about £12 per treatment”, say the AA, “it is a very expensive way of coating your oil filter element”.
The AA performed tests by taking three identical cars and carefully running them in, splitting the driving equally among their test drivers. Oils were changed at 1500 miles, the cars were run a further 500 miles to stabilise the oils’ viscosity, the cars’ tuning was carefully checked and steady speed fuel consumptions and power outputs were measured.
The report says: “The procedure is so sensitive that, for instance, leaving the headlamps of the car switched on will make a nonsense of the results due to the extra drag of the charging system”.
Engineers added Slick 50 to two of the cars in the recommended way at 3000 miles.
After a further 2000 miles, further dynamometer tests were carried out. “One car should show the sort of gradual change expected of a car in good condition” says the report, “whereas two should show a noticeable improvement . Here came the big disappointment. After our several months of careful testwork, we could not distinguish any difference between the three cars.”
The AA claimed that all cars were performing well, but performance was remarkably consistent , within a few percent.
The AA say that a detailed examination of the claims made for the product will explain what happens when Slick 50 is added to an engine. Of one gallon of petrol burnt in an engine, says the report, some 60 percent of the energy will be lost as heat from the exhaust and cooling system. That leaves 40 percent and some 25 percent is used to drive the car and its accessories. The remaining 15 percent goes to losses such as pumping air into the engine (6 percent) and some 9 percent is lost as engine friction. Of that 9 percent, 6 percent is lost in churning the oil and only 3 percent of the total input goes into the sort of “boundary” friction that a solid lubricant could affect. “If tests of Slick 50 did show a 16 percent decrease in this friction, as claimed in current advertisements”, says the report, “it would only affect the car’s overall consumption by a half of one percent”.
The AA also claim that their tests show there is no evidence that Slick 50 produces a surface layer on the engine wearing surfaces, let alone one that could last for 100,000 miles.

On questioning John Rowland, Silkolene/Fuchs Chief R&D Chemist for 40 years about additives, I received the following reply.

Quote:

The AA report encapsulates my opinion of Slick 50, it is an expensive way of blocking your oil filter, Believe me, it does precisely nothing beneficial. It has been proven time and time again that it just blocks oil filters and oilways.

For all other “magic” additives, most are based on 1930’s technology corrosive chlorinated paraffins. (synthetic anti-seize compounds originally made 70 years ago. They are cheap, toxic and corrosive. We use them in certain types of cutting oil!) Do not touch them with somebody else’s bargepole!
MGBV8: This information is dated and worthless. Dupont now sells a version of PTFE specifically designed for inclusion in automotive lubricants. So does Shamrock Technologies.

The PTFE that Slick 50 contains is NOT the same as that in SynLube. SynLube uses a form of PTFE called nanoFlon made by Shamrock Technologies. The particles in Slick 50 are up to 2300 times the size of the colloids in SynLube which are approximately 1 micron in size. The SynLube formula is what's called a lyophilic sol because the solids in SynLube are permanently attracted to the liquid lubricants so they won't coagulate or settle out.
I am aware of their comments. I was the one who introduced the subject in another post that spawned this series of posts.

As I stated above, I was not very impressed with their logic. Basically, they did not evaluate the product for the properties it has but on the negative things they've come to believe based on feedback about other products. No one could state with any justification that the product could not meet the claims made for it.

Basically, their efforts were directed to finding some reason to deny the validity of SynLube so they could use what they are comfortable with and feel that it is the best.

Now a question. What is the cost of getting an oil certified by API, ILSAC, or any of the other certification bodies? I have not had a chance to e-mail Miro Kefurt about certification but with a customer base of 13,000 nonrepeating customers, it is my guess that certification is simply financially impossible. This in no way SynLube could afford all those fees but this in no way means that the product cannot meet the spec.

Also, some comment was made that there was some problems with the specs, specifically I heard some comment about the ACEA specs. Can anyone clarify what the problem is so I can include this information in my e-mail?
Wow. That's a good one.

quote:
SynLube™ Lube-4-Life ® ...for Engines exceeds all of the following performance requirements:

Oh man, stupid me. It does not fullfill these Specs, it exceeds the specs.... Eek
I should have read first, before I start to discuss with you such a product. They do not even claim to have the ACEA or ILSAC releases.

We can discuss now a long time if the product would pass this test or that test. We will never get an appropriate answer, because we don't have the data.

But let's do it the other way round: Let's try to find another oil with Google who fulfills ILSAC GF-4, ACEA A3/B3/B4 and E5. I am quite sure that you will not find such an oil.

By the way, the claimed Caterpillar 10 TBN requirements means automatically that the chemical limits from ILSAC GF-4 cannot be fulfilled.

I posted this link from Oronite so you can see that each Spec has it's own demands concerning the oil. I still believe that you cannot pass with one oil all these specs.
http://www.chevron.com/oronite/products/lubricating_oil_additives/automotive.asp
Callisa: Why be sarcastic? I don't think you know enough about this product yet to reject it. You may think you do but I have seen too many people write this product off just because it's different.

I have asked for a clear statement about what you find questionable about the product. Before I can respond to you, I need this information.

I suggest you read through the website more thoroughly. Your questions may not be answered directly but the information you want may still be there.
quote:
Why be sarcastic?
I don't want to be sarcastic, even if sounds like that.
quote:
I don't think you know enough about this product yet to reject it
I wrote before that the product itself may not be bad.
But it seems to me as this Company tries to sell a product by misleading the customer.
This is in my point of view questionable.

As I wrote before, I do not believe that one single product can fulfill or exceed all these claimed Specifications. Why should I trust or use a product from questionable Company? Why should I discuss with them non existing ACEA test results?
The ACEA specification may be included for those who have vehicles that were manufactured during the time this spec was in use. Many people do not keep up with oil issues as you do and simply get used to looking for this because it's all they've ever needed.

As far as the company being questionable, I must disagree. I don't have all the information about oils that you do but I have never been mislead by SynLube. I have always received good information from them when I asked for it and believe they operate in good faith.

I still think you should read more of what they discuss on their website and then ask for information from Miro Kefurt. He is a trained chemist and a member of SAE. I believe he can answer your questions.
One does not need to live in the USA to have some skeptisism based on some knowledge of the facts .

Count me as a skeptic but before I leave ,

Houckster , I must ask are you involved in any way with this Company ? If you are not , how long has it been since you have used another very good synthetic oil brand and put the pencil to price vs performance in daily use of a passenger car engine operated in the United States .
quote:
Originally posted by Houckster:

Also, some comment was made that there was some problems with the specs, specifically I heard some comment about the ACEA specs. Can anyone clarify what the problem is so I can include this information in my e-mail?

If you are asking why one oil cannot meet all ACEA specs it's obvious . ACEA A1 , A5 and A3 are each unto themselves and separated .

No one oil can meet these specs .
TIMER: I am not an employee or a dealer for SynLube. I am a customer only. If you wanted to buy SynLube from me, I would refer you to the company.

As far as having used another good synthetic, why? SynLube is better than any other lubricant in my opinion. SynLube lasts 150K miles/3K engine hours/10 years, WCF. At that time, I'll send it back to SynLube who will microfilter the lube and rebalance the additive package. It will then be in brand new condition. I even get a credit from the company if I exchange it for new SynLube. During this time, I will not be producing hundreds of quarts of waste oil which is a growning disposal problem in this country and is considered a toxic waste.

As far as economy goes, you pay up front for SynLube. I am anticipating that I'll only have to spend $195 for the 150K mile period. Plug in your figures for what you use now. Even if you change your own oil, you should still come out ahead but the savings are not my main motiviation. It is the performance of the lube and the knowledge that it maintains its like-new capabilities over its entire service life. The service life for the lubricant given by the company is actually quite conservative according to their website.
Last edited by houckster
TIMER: With regard to the ACEA A1 , A5 and A3 specs, I believe SynLube will meet them. I don't know what these specs mean but if the company put those specs there, it must mean that they stand behind their oil for use in engines for which these specs are relevant. I suggest that since you doubt this, you should e-mail SynLube requesting a clarification. When I was considering the use of SynLube, I had questions and he patiently answered them. More than anything else, it was his answers that prompted me to try the product.
I am not a lube guy, but have been reading posts and learning from this site. I have noticed several entries on this board concerning shear and the breakdown of lubricants at the molecular level caused by it. (Long molecular chains sheared into short chains?) How does SynLube handle this? From what I have read on this board, I get the impression that there is just no lubricant (mineral or synthetic) that, when used in an auto engine over time, will not degrade because of shear. Is my crude understanding of this correct?
Synskeptic: SynLube has this to say in their discussion of viscosity (very useful for a basic understanding of the subject):
quote:
Even more important is the High-Shear High-Temperature MINIMUM specification in SAE J300. In [the] tables below you will notice that there are "two" SAE 40 specifications, one with [a] minimum HSHT value of 2.9 cP for automotive Oils (SAE 0W-40; 5W-40; 10W-40) and the other for Heavy Duty Oils (HDO) (SAE 15W-40; 20W-40; 25W-40; 40).

This double specification is at insistence of heavy duty engine manufacturers who have required HSHT viscosity limits consistent with good engine durability in high-load, severe service operation. [They require an] HSHT value of 3.7 cP or [a] 27% more viscous oil at 150ºC (300ºF).

Yes, a 27% increase in viscosity makes a difference between Automotive engine that lasts 100,000 miles and a truck engine that lasts 1,000,000 miles!

When you consider that most automotive motor oils are ONLY 3 cP, while our
SAE 5W-50 SynLube™ Lube-4-Life™ Motor Oil has a rating of 5 cP, you can readily appreciate why we can claim [a] 300% to 500% increase in typical automotive engine durability, and that is with a substantial "safety" reserve!

See the entire section on SynLube Viscosity
Houckster

Redline HTHS compared to M1

5W-30 3.8 (M1 3.08)
10W-30 3.8 (M1 3.17
5w-40 4.6 (Silkolene 4.07 & 10W-50 5.11)
10W-40 4.7
15W-50 5.8 (5.11) (Silkolene 5.23)
20W-50 6.1

Redline is approx 65% ester Silkolene approx 20% and M1 10%?

So any better than a good synth PAO?

As you are using synlube do you have VOA or UOA as they do not make available (why? they can post on web site)

I'm intrigued by the fact that you can recycle base stock and just replenish additives - what is this base stock and if so good why is in not used in aviation instead of ester.

The filters sound interesting do you have a link?

The discussion re Synth oil life study was interesting but got nowhere.

Any info use in Rally as Motorsport would be a testing ground.
MGBV8 wrote: As you are using synlube do you have VOA or UOA as they do not make available (why? they can post on web site)The company does do analysis of their lube but the process is very expensive. SynLube provides a service to evaluate their oil SynLube Lube Analysis and I will take advantage of this when the oil reaches the 5 year mark. Per their comments, a valid analysis is expensive and I have only about 7K on the current oil and that's too soon to reveal anything meaningful about how the oil is faring. As to their publishing results of testing customer's oil, Miro Kefurt would probably assert that not even general conclusions could be reliably inferred from other poeple's results because reliable information about the conditions under which the oil was used is very difficult to get. Of course, I agree that publishing some of the results he's found would be very interesting.

As far as the basestock goes, the composition is proprietary so I have no clue. It is composed of 5 liquid lubricants and 3 solids (in the form of colloids). Some use of esters and PAO is made but that's the extent of my knowledge.

I use filters by CM. I really like them. I use two SynLube neodymium magnets inside the steel filter media cage to take any ferric-based debris out of oil circulation though there shouldn't be any. The filter uses Viton seals and is very well made. I plan to use mine 5 years before rebuilding it.

Any info use in Rally as Motorsport would be a testing ground. As you can imagine, SynLube is far too small to sponsor any racing efforts but some use of their lubricants is made in Europe. SynLube Racing
quote:
Originally posted by synskeptic:
I
From what I have read on this board, I get the impression that there is just no lubricant (mineral or synthetic) that, when used in an auto engine over time, will not degrade because of shear. Is my crude understanding of this correct?

No , the better oils will eventualy thicken but never shear below what they started as .

Oils degrade from combustion particulates and other reasons . The USA is far behind the Europeans in that they have been running longer drains for a period of time and actually sells concentrated top off oils for such drain up to 50k kilometers .

Typically across the pond these engines see no more than 3-4 oil changes in their lifecycle currently when maintained in this way .

Not a bad way to do it in a throw away world .

Now some cars are meant to be keepers from the start , maintenance should be adjusted accordingly for those types
SynLube does not normally change viscosity very much during its lifetime. In normal dino oils, thickening occurs when the shorter carbon chains are burned off in engine operation while the molecules in SynLube's components are uniform. BTW, the API still considers an oil fit for service even if the viscosity has increased over 300% from its unused condition.

The source of dino lube basestock is the residue from refinery operations which is about two quarts per barrel of crude (API SA). It contains long carbon chains all the way from those that go into asphalt to very short ones that make baby oil. The shorter chains are more volatile and burn off making the oil thicker. Just what specific reaction to heat an oil has is dependent upon the type of crude from which it was derived.

TIMER wrote: No , the better oils will eventualy thicken but never shear below what they started as.
Actually they do according to SynLube: The long chain polymer molecules that are present in most multi-viscosity oils to give them a high viscosity index can however, shear under stress and become shorter or smaller molecules. This loss of multi-viscosity property is sometimes referred to as "Viscosity Break-Down" a term that was introduced by CASTROL in their GTX Motor Oil commercials.
Houckster,

Synlube base appears to be only PAO or esters etc so compared to a true synth, this should be compared to a synth and not dino.

Leaving aside Teflon, the only major difference appears to be synth additive package to make a 100% synth oil.

If RL is 65% ester then I would not expect Synlube to cost more than twice price.

What are these possible Synth additives that allow the extended drain and recyling of base stock.
As far as I can tell Synlube is an ester based syth with Moly Graphite and Teflon as colloids, and overbased with additives and very expensive.

The extended life is only in ideal circumstances and can easily be reduced to 60k and does not deal with fuel dilution any better than other synth.

OEM oil filters are now very good to allow 2year change.
The SynLube formula is understandably proprietary. All I know comes from the website. It is composed of 5 liquid and 3 solid lubricants (graphite, PTFE [nanoFlon] and a synthetic form of moly). I am not aware of another lubricant with its properties. In fact, I am not aware of any lubricant on the American market that employs colloids at all. Only one marketer employs PTFE, Slick 50, and their use of PTFE is primitive with the particles of PTFE being up to 2300 times larger than the colloids used in SynLube.

With regard to fuel dilution, this should not be a problem in a properly functioning engine. The sealing of SynLube with its use of colloids is better than with any liquid-only lubricant on the market because the colloids are embossed into the cylinder walls to improve the seal. Moreover, what fuel does reach the oils, and this is an infintesimal amount, will evaporate during normal engine operation. Moreover, because SynLube is composed of inert ingredients, it will tolerate foreign substances like fuel and water better than any other lubricant.

Don't look for a pricing structure that reflects lubricants that are frequent replacement items like Mobil 1. Also, with a customer base of 13,000, SynLube does not enjoy the economies of scale larger companies do.

If you compute the price per mile of SynLube as I have done, the cost per mile compares vary favorably with any lubricant on the market. Then there is the time savings of only having to change the lubricant at 3K hours, 150K miles or 10 years WCF.

In my own case, I projected that the cost of SynLube would be about $195 which includes the oil, filter, magnets and a quart of replacement oil. In comparison, over the same 150,000 mile period, Mobil 1, replaced at 7,500 mile intervals and using their filter would cost $626 plus tax and that does not include installation so you'd have to install the oil yourself and then there would be the trips to dispose of the used oil etc. and the general cleanup.

I changed my oil for years and now that I don't have to, I don't miss it a bit.

SynLube sells custom tailored kits for any vehicle on the market and includes a 15% discount.
Q&A
However, we recommend for the best possible protection and maximum vehicle life, that you change your motor oil every 50,000 miles or 5 years. If an oil change is delayed, SynLube™ Lube-4-Life ® provides an added level of assurance and protection that is not available in any conventional oils.

If your vehicle is mostly driven in slow city stop & go traffic and you average only about 20 MPH,
then at 3,000 hours of engine operation your vehicle will have ONLY 60,000 miles.

If your vehicle is used mostly for high-speed highway driving at 70 MPH,
your vehicle will have 150,000 miles on long before you reach 3,000 engine hours

Also at site
Start up boundary lubrication is provided by esters, most synths have these and often used as additive carrier rather than Mineral.
MGBV8: This is correct. That is why I have stated 2-3 times that the service life of SynLube is 150K miles, 3K engine hours, or 10 years, WCF.

In my own case, I project that I will get about 105K miles before changing becomes necessary as I average less than 30 miles a day.

You are also correct that for the ultimate result that SynLube should be replaced every 50,000 miles. To put this in proper perspective, this is for someone who anticipates keeping a vehicle for much longer than most people would ever contemplate. For the vast majority of people, the replacement interval described in the first paragraph is the proper choice. I believe Miro would agree with me since other parts of the car would surely be failing so as to make keeping the car unprofitable.
The oil analysis section deals with the problems of submitting SynLube samples to labs that are not equipped to evaluate SynLube properly. Other lubricants, for example, do not have solids and therefore the lab will flag these solids as contaminants. The main point of the section, as you have probably noted, is to provide those interested in how SynLube is doing in their engines with information that will place results from places like Blackstone in proper perspective.

With regard to cost, SynLube is less expensive. As you may remember, I projected that my total lube costs over the course of SynLube's service life (in my case) would be about $195. I am not generally a heavy driver and keep my vehicle parked to save fuel whenever possible. Consequently, I am projecting that over the 10 year period I will only accumulate 105K miles. Therefore I'll use the 10 year cycle.

Over that 10 year period, Amsoil would have to be installed 10 times and they require a filter change at 6 months (unnecessary in my opinion) to keep the warranty they provide intact. My Ranger uses 5 quarts of oil and the list price is $8.35 for the Series 2000 0W30 which is the oil I'd use if SynLube were not available. Now if you're like me, I'd press for a discount and let's say I can get the price down to $7 a quart. Then there's the filters and their top line filters range from about $9.75 to $28. Let's settle on $10 per filter. That's $55 for each year and that's only if you install it yourself. At the end of 10 years, your costs will be $550 (plus shipping and/or applicable taxes) vs. $195 for SynLube. That's a decent monetary savings of $355 plus the savings in time and the almost complete elimination of waste oil which should not be overlooked. Finally, you can return the oil to SynLube at the end of the oil's service life for a credit towards the purchase of new SynLube.
Last edited by houckster
While I can see your enthusiasm for this product both here and through the use of the Google search engine I cannot buy into it .

I can lube one Ford for year and 15k miles with two oil changes using factory filters and synthetic blend oil for 26.00

The other for 1 year , 1 oil change at 22.00 total .

Another Ford for 9.00 + filter for one year .

All the while dumping unwanted contaminates from the combustion process and fuel from winter driving then my Pennzoil , a Co. that employees many gets recycled .

Down time does not factor in for me as the vehicles need other service such as greasing the chassis , repacking the wheel bearings along with rotating the tires and servicing the transmissions. At these times draining the oil does not take meaningfull additional time for me nor do I have to take oil samples , send them in which is taking meaningfull time out of my day .

As they say , to each his own . Smile
Has Synlube any special qualities?

http://www.performancemotoroil.com/409000

Apart from the other solids Moly is a solid, specifically banned by Cummins, due to excessive valve train wear.

Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. This can actually clog oil filters or oil lines and the rest normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals
SynLube is a "lyophilic sol". The colloid ions in SynLube are permanently attracted to the ions in the liquid lubricants. They will never settle. They will never clog the oil filter or passages. The SynLube website goes into this question extensively under Q&A.

SynLube meets the Cummins performance specification 20076 (also called CH-4 plus or CH-4+).
@Houckster
I am back from my vacation and read this thread again and some bits and peaces at the Synlube Homepage.

To make a long story short, I stay sceptic...
I still think that the claims from Synlube to exceed ACEA, ILSAC, API etc Specs with one oil without having passed those tests is at least questionable.
In some countries of this world this way of doing marketing could be even a fraud.

quote:
Being a skeptic is a good starting point for investigation if it doesn't mean rejecting information without justification.

I quoted this statement of yours, because I am still waiting for valuable information. It is common practice in the industry to use industry wide accepted tests to compare oils and evaluate them. But obviously these results do not exist for Synlube products.

quote:
SynLube is a "lyophilic sol". The colloid ions in SynLube are permanently attracted to the ions in the liquid
lubricants. They will never settle. They will never clog the oil filter or passages.

To verify such a statement, you should have at least results from a cold sludge test from Sequence VE/VG test, a M111 ACEA sludge test and a Peugeot TU3M hot oxidation test. So tell me, as Synlube does not have these results, how can they make such a claim?

If I understood this right, you want to use this oil with "refreshing" for 10 years and 105k miles.
At Synlube I found this statement:
quote:
But likewise these permissible extended oil change intervals are based on the expected service life of ONLY 5 years or 50,000 miles for vehicles operated under ideal conditions. If vehicle is operated under severe service operating conditions (as most vehicles are), or if longer service life is required, this extended service interval needs be likewise reduced to one half or one third.

This means that engine oil should still be changed every 12,000 to 7,500 miles in most automotive and light truck applications.

As Synlube states that most vehicles need an oil change after 7,500 - 12,000 miles - what makes you so sure that you are using the right driving pattern?
Houckster, I frequent BITOG and am one of those that posted about synlube from your prompting.

I shared investigative testing on synlube here years ago. I have also shared what little I know about the products at BITOG.

I am not totally "down" on the products as I have seen proprietary oil analysis data of the products after use.

No one attempted to poo poo you, you had a chemist and physicist, Molakule, give you sound reasons for why he was skeptical, not dismissive.

The basic theory of formulation that is used is a old nazi/ eastern block turbine lube designed before many of the adds and baseoils where available to protect the pitiful metallurgy used in those years and countries.

From reading Callisa, he/she is automotive only and may not be old enough to remember the reasons for the formula.

You are obviously convinced on the attributes of the synlube products and are currently using them. Get some oil analysis work performed by a lab and analyst that can properly interpret the results on your car and truck. If it tests well then enjoy, if it tests poorly be willing to change course.

Quit arguing and see the results for yourself.

Post those results at BITOG and prove the worth of the products.

analysisguy
AnalysisGuy: Just who would be competent to do analysis of SynLube? Certainly not Blackstone. Also, I only have just over 8K miles on the SynLube in my Ranger so it's not old enough to show the kind of durability that would impress anyone.

As far as I understand it, SynLube does have it origins in research done by the Nazis in WWII but the current formulation completed in 1996 brings the formula up to date and it has recently met the new API/SM and ILSAC GF-4 (??) standards without problem.

As for arguing, this is one of the problems that I had at BITOG. They were apparently unable to perceive the difference between an exposition and discussion of the products properties and an argument. They wrote the product off without much consideration, Molakule's comments not withstanding.

As to when I will do an oil analysis, I guess that will be at 20K miles and not before. That's about a year away. I will post the results here.
Thank you, Analysisguy. You are right with your statement, that my points are related to automotive.
In addition to this thread I'd like to add, that my focus is on long oil dtrain intervals. I try to understand what's happening during long oil drain intervals within the oil. I have data showing that it's possible to use quality oils under best case conditions up to a 100.000 Miles without an oil change. No wear, no high oil consumption - everything fine. These oils are readily available in the market for years - Yet I would not recommend anyone to do such long oil drain intervals in his private car.
Why not? Doing such long oil drains may lead to funny effects within the oil, which may harm your engine. Especially the infulence of fuel for oil deteoriation is tremendous. Using proper fuel is the most important thing in a long oil drain interval.
E.g. if you have traces of dienes or improper balanced PIBA / PIBSA Detergents / dispersants in your fuel - and you get problems. These molecules are added to your oil via blowby.
One last remark to Synlube - The ILSAC GF-4 spec limits the allowed TBN to below ca. 8. It's hidden in the phosphour / sulfur limits of the spec. How can the very same product fulfill a Cummins Limit of having a TBN of at least 10 and fulfill GF-4 at the same time? It's a miracle to me....
VW Castrol SLX Longlife Overview for OCI
9k or 12mths or Longlife 30k 24mths about 5 times shorter than synlube and 3+times shorter than 100k best case (Callisa anymore details?)

LongLife Regime.
To obtain the most benefit from the LongLife service regime, the car should to be generally driven in a style/condition of use listed below
• Mainly longer distance journeys.
• Limited number of cold starts, engine is kept at operating temperature over a longer period of time.
• Daily mileage above approx. 25 miles.
• Constant speed.
• Vehicle used regularly.

Time/Distance Regime.
It your is driven in a style of use listed below, it may make sense to opt for the Time/Distance regime.

• Extremely uneconomical driving style ie continual maximum acceleration ie "foot to floor"
• Vehicle fully loaded
• Mainly short journeys.
• Frequent cold starts.
• Frequent hill climbs.
• Frequent towing.
• City Centre driving
@MGBV8
I was talking about a 100.000 miles = 160.000 Km.

Your list describes very well the best case behaviour of a gasoline engine driver.

Diesel engines is something different for Europe. I know Diesel engines which are allowed to drive a 50.000 km ODI. But looking at the oil results and test results I have, I still see no reason why they should not be capable of driving 100.000 Km / 2 years with a good group III based 5W-40 ACEA A3/B4 oil, which is not that expensive after all.
In a search of the SynLube website, I am unable to find any qualification to the SynLube guarantee that the oil must be babied by restricting the use of a vehicle to ideal types of mileage. Thus I am of the opinion that SynLube is just as applicable to the little old lady who just drives to Church on Sunday as it is to the high mileage driver. This is a key part of SynLube's value.

Also, if TBN is a question in a person's mind, SynLube will sell anyone who wants it, several ounces of the necessary chemical to raise the TBN to the required level.
Houckster,

The Q&A suggested OCI for styles of driving but recommended 50k or 5 years.

With other posts about the potential longer life of regular oil, oil suppliers do not have control over filters apart from on new cars, and oil fiters have been a weak link in the extended OCI.

There is also public demand for cheap oil that can be changed every 3k miles and so oil companies build to spec required, and only when a car mft requests a longer OCI do the oil companies fulfill the need, the exception being Amsoil.

Leaving aside the solids issue, what is different about Synlube compared to other synths, or could these be run for an equally long period if there was a Public demand.

Interesting thread on BITOG re Racing oil and Auto rx being the ultimate and expensive oil.
The Q&A recommended that an oil change inverval of 50,000 miles for the absolute longest wear from an engine but this is usually unnecessary in most cases. The 150,000 mile/3K engine hour mile interval is usually fine for most people since other parts of the car will start failing well before the engine does. Remember that the company offers a 300K mile warranty for engines equipped with SynLube since new. This warranty holds for the 150K mile intervals.

SynLube supplies oil filters that are of sufficient quality to last for the term of service they advise. This will vary with the car. I believe that currently, they are offering the upper level Fleetguard filters plus upper level GM filters that are designed with far better components than are usually available from auto parts stores.

I am using a CM filter that is rebuildable and filters down to 8 microns. It's flow capacity is so high that it doesn't even have a bypass valve. I believe I have discussed them and provided a link.

Beyond the solids, the advantage of SynLube is the inert qualities of the formula components. With this oil, problems like acidity are avoided in the first place. Dino oils that will form acids due to the interaction with contaminants introduced to the oil through poor sealing at the rings. Consequently, they need a high reserve TBN. This is the reason for the Cummins spec. When the reactivity of the oil is avoided, Cummins engines, I'm told, work fine with SynLube.

Another standout feature of SynLube is the additive package. At the price SynLube sells for, the additives (some of which are actually not necessary but are there for standards purposes) are of the best quality. The higher quality additives often tend to take up less of the total volume of the product. This is important as some of the additives have no lubricating properties in themselves and are there only to protect the oil from its environment. Dino oils often have up to 20% of their volume dedicated to additives.

In contrast, oils like Mobil 1 don't have the best additive package. Since the base oil is so much more expensive than virgin dino, the only way the Mobil 1 folks can compete is to cut back on the additive package.
In contrast, oils like Mobil 1 don't have the best additive package. Since the base oil is so much more expensive than virgin dino, the only way the Mobil 1 folks can compete is to cut back on the additive package.

Any evidence that this is the case?

300K mile warranty for engines equipped with SynLube since new.

Which engines are these?

Synlube constantly compare product to a dino.

recommended that an oil change inverval of 50,000 miles for the absolute longest wear from an engine but this is usually unnecessary in most cases

Are not all Uaual recommended OCI based on absolute longest wear?

On assumption that Redline etc use the best possible esters - why can Synlube obtain a product 5x10 times better
quote:
Any evidence that this is the case?
ANSWER: I have seen some tests by Amsoil which indicate that their lubricant is better on the wear tests, especially when talking about Mobil 1 0W30. Also, Mobil 1 recommends adhering to the OEM OCI recommendations so in their view, since Mobil 1 is not promoted as a long interval change oil, they would rather sell at a lower price to be at least marginally competitive with the dino oils.

quote:
300K mile warranty for engines equipped with SynLube since new.

Which engines are these?
ANSWER: SynLube makes no qualification on this. Any engine should qualify.

Synlube constantly compare product to a dino. ANSWER: Yes. Dino oil is 95% of the market so that's the most relevant comparison. The website is primarily directed at average people investigating this product.

quote:
Recommended that an oil change inverval of 50,000 miles for the absolute longest wear from an engine but this is usually unnecessary in most cases.
Are not all Uaual (???)recommended OCI based on absolute longest wear?

ANSWER: No, car manufacturers have no interest in us driving OUR cars for 300K miles. They specify an oil that will give reliable service for a suitable amount of time which I believe to be somewhere in the area of 100,000 miles. After that they'd like to see you in the showroom real soon. The lighter weight oils (0W20, 5W20), in my opinion are examples of another attempt to shorten engine life. Most engines were never designed for these oils. Ford, for example has only 2 engines designed for thinner oils. The rest of their engines had 5W30 recommended for them just a few years ago.

On assumption that Redline etc use the best possible esters - why can Synlube obtain a product 5x10 times better.
ANSWER: Since both formulas are proprietary it is hard to draw comparisons but look at the marketing of the oils. SynLube emphasizes long use intervals while Redline emphasizes racing where long change intervals are not a consideration.
I agree with light weight oil comments although HTHS is importent re wear, but the following re MB indicates this but 0W40 M1 is top product for say 25-30k mile 2yr OCI, which indicates additive package is up to scratch for top class machinery including SLR-McLaren

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

recommended OCI based are still based on absolute longest wear, although the oil choice may be influenced by fuel economy?

Although most oil companies do not directly advertise their base those promoting top quality oils emphasise the base oil usually esters. The benefits of using esters are at the extremes as as expensive not used in any quantity for road oils. However they can be used instead of mineral oil as additive carriers. The claims by Synlube ignore this aspect and hide behind "formula are proprietary " with regard to base oils since they do not need to disclose exact mix, this is somewhat perplexing compared to Redline who are open about this matter to develope niche market.

A warranty based on very few cars having Synlube as first fill can easily be made.
Re: The link for Mobil 1 0W40 you mention is for a "European formula" which is very likely different that what we can get here since Europe's standards are higher than ours. The Amsoil comparison was for the 0W30 oil we can buy.

As far as OCI intervals, I remain convinced that OEM recommendations do not envisage the longest possible engine life.

quote:
Although most oil companies do not directly advertise their base those promoting top quality oils emphasise the base oil usually esters. The benefits of using esters are at the extremes as as expensive not used in any quantity for road oils. However they can be used instead of mineral oil as additive carriers. The claims by Synlube ignore this aspect and hide behind "formula are proprietary " with regard to base oils since they do not need to disclose exact mix, this is somewhat perplexing compared to Redline who are open about this matter to develope niche market.

Would you please redo this paragraph? I am not sure what it means. Thank you.
Houckster

First time I've noticed solids used in convential oil other than Synlube.

----
Elf Molygraphite 10W30 Engine Oil (3 litres)
Exclusive lubrication technology from Elf... incorporating solid lubricants of graphite and molybdenum disulphite. Available in 3 litre pack.

Key Features
Viscosity rating of 10W30.
Provide excellent thermal and oxidation stability.
Reinforced with dispersing and detergent properties.
Superior anti-wear properties.
High shear stability ... providing optimum lubrication at low and high temperature.
Suitable for all gasoline/petrol engine from 600 cc.
Benefits
Noticeable decrease in wear and tear due to cold start, especially in the morning.
Better lubrication at all times increases engine efficiency, better fuel consumption.
Maintain engine in silent operating condition.
Added protection from graphite and molybdenum provide better protection and increase reliability of moving parts.
Keeps engine in clean under all operating conditions.API: SJ
61 K miles for 1 quart of oil. That is an extreme low oil consumption. It may sound strange, but to have a little oil consumption between 0,05-0,08 L/1000 km) is according to my experience best for your piston rings. Having lower oil consumption then that leads to a build up of hard, shiny coal in the piston ring groove. This shiny coal is the nightmare of a piston designer. It leads to cold stuck and later to hot stuck piston rings and to so called ring riding. The hard coal grows behind the piston ring, leading to increased piston ring wear. This coal is so hard, that you can't remove it even with a screwdriver.
It consists of Calcium / Magnesium salts coming from the additive package.
Per Callisa:
quote:
. . . hard coal grows behind the piston ring, leading to increased piston ring wear. This coal is so hard, that you can't remove it even with a screwdriver. It consists of Calcium/Magnesium salts coming from the additive package.
Because the SynLube formula is proprietary, we don't know if calcium and magnesium are in the formula in the first place. Since SynLube is designed for ultralong usage intervals, additives that have these problems are probably not in it. I think it is a mistake to assume the characteristics of an additive package for a motor oil costing $1-2 with the characteristics of SynLube costing $32. Such a problem as you describe would certainly have run the company out of business since they have a guarantee on the engine for any oil-related failures lasting up to 300K miles.
Last edited by houckster
During the last year or two, a study has been conducted on the Neptune website that tests the wear trends in Mobil 1 over it's lifetime. There are numerous difficulties with their methodology though I applaud their honesty. Many of the problems are simply due to lack of funds but also a reticence to be willing to "risk" a $5K engine. Also, as we all know, valid testing of lubricants is extremely expensive and time-consuming.

When I read of their intentions, I suggested that rather than test Mobil 1 whose properties were indeed pretty well known, that SynLube be used for the test. This proposition was rejected because of the oils inclusion of PTFE (nanoFlon) and because it is a 5W50 oil as opposed to the 5W30 viscosity speced by GM.

All this took place while a debate on MYFORDFOCUS.com (in which yours truly was one of the instigators) raged as to the merits or demerits of SynLube. This debate was in stark contrast to the restrained comments made here. Anyway, even Miro Kefurt, who owns SynLube got involved in the Neptune study. The following link traces the communications that occurred and they may of some interest to participants here.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cave/syn-tolo.html
The Neptune site was primarily concerned with the inclusion of PTFE (nanoFlon by Shamrock Technologies) in the formula due to the problems seen when a crude form of PTFE was used in Slick 50. The PTFE in nanoFlon is in the form of colloids 0.3-1.0 microns in size. They are permanently suspended in the oil due to the attraction these colloids have to the molecules in the liquid lubricants. The person who conducted the Neptune study did not completely deny that PTFE might work in the oil but was still uncomfortable "risking" his engine by using the SynLube.

When a proper form of PTFE is properly blended with the oil, there will be no problem with its use.

In regard to the viscosity of SynLube, 5W50, the problem here is that such a wide range of viscosity arouses suspicion since cheap polymers added to increase the viscosity range of an oil can fail under hard use and then the oil experiences "viscosity breakdown", a term coined by Castrol and which might very well apply to their 5W50 Syntec oil as some indications on the Redline Oil site seemed to suggest. SynLube, in contrast, stays "in grade" for the duration of its service life.

To date, I am unaware of any standards organization that has specifically warned or implemented standards contrary to the SynLube formulation. The 1996 formula met the new ILSAC and API standards without modification.

No one on the site except myself has even seen a bottle of SynLube, I have been using it for 4 years and have nothing but praise for its performance.
Why use a 50w oil rather than as recommeded by manual, unless used in applications where oil temperature will be higher?

Why add PTFE if only for noise reduction?

Is Synlube any better than any other longlife oil?

With top quality synthetics the reason for changes appears now more to do with additives being used up not viscosity breakdown, mineral oil not even being used as a carrier. Soot/fuel dilution also change viscosity.
quote:
Why use a 50w oil rather than as recommeded by manual, unless used in applications where oil temperature will be higher?
Many OEMs recommend oils that are too thin to be compatible with the quality of life for our engines. As you may well know, the OEMs key their maintenance requirements to the expected life of the car which will vary from 70 to 150K. Now, no one believes that the car will fall apart @ 70K but that is the point where one can expect to begin anticipating repairs. 0W20 and 5W20 oils just don't work when one is going to keep a vehicle for 10-15 years. There's no secret about this. A 20W oil is a 20W oil and by definition provides less protection than a 30W oil given that both oils are in functional condition. When SynLube provides a 1-2% advantage in gas mileage over the thin oils in addition to providing superior engine performance, give me a reason (Hint: There isn't one.) why anyone would use anything else, especially since it doesn't have to be changed but once every 150K miles.

quote:
Why add PTFE if only for noise reduction?
Why not? PTFE does its part for the engine protection and is particularly effective protecting sleeve bearings. As I've pointed out exhaustively, properly implemented, PTFE helps an engine.

quote:
Is Synlube any better than any other longlife oil?
Yes!! It is better than any oil in any climate for any engine (except a rotary) on weekdays, holidays, Sundays, Boxing Days, and National Cement Pavers Day. No exceptions!!!!

quote:
With top quality synthetics the reason for changes appears now more to do with additives being used up not viscosity breakdown, mineral oil not even being used as a carrier. Soot/fuel dilution also change viscosity.
Since SynLube has been designed from the start to effectively fight soot, and other forms of contamination, one isn't taking any chance at all using SynLube for the full duration of its service life. Its ability to prevent deterioration in the first place is due to its unsurpassed ring-sealing ability. Many of the problems experienced with oils are a direct result of their reaction to the presence of heat, which causes oil molecules to bind to contaminants thus undermining the oil's ability to protect. Because SynLube's components are inert, deterioration of the lubricant occurs at an extremely slow rate. At the end of the service life of SynLube, it is still more effective than any other oil when new! Additionally, when it's time to replenish oil that's been consumed, SERVICE FILL or ADD OIL are designed to supplement the original additive package, not just replace lost volume. This is a fundamental difference from any other oil on the market I'm aware of.

There is no reason not to use SynLube in a properly functioning engine. None!!!

It still amazes me to see people on board like this that are always looking for the best oil immediately scramble to find some excuse not to use SynLube.

I eagerly await the cries of denial that will follow this post. I love the ones about PTFE. I just have to laugh sometimes.
Last edited by houckster
The function of PTFE (nanoFlon) in SynLube is presented as follows:
quote:
The PTFE colloids that are contained in SynLube Lube-4-Life® reduce the Bearing Clearances, which in turn lower the lubricant side leakage rate. This brings onset of the favorable Hydrodynamic Lubrication regime at lower rotational speeds and results in better fuel efficiency and less Wear. Reduced clearances also reduce vibration and noise generation, SynLube Lube-4-Life® lubricated mechanisms therefore run noticeably quieter sometimes [by] up to several decibels.

The primary means by which PTFE forms a "coating" occurs as a function of normal engine operation when an extremely heavy load is placed on an engine component. The PTFE becomes plasticized and is pushed into the fine "valleys" in machined surfaces. Secondarily, they are also found on metal parts as a result of being attracted to the esters in the formula that are negatively charged and therefore attracted to positively charged engine surfaces.

All of this occurs well before the 450 degrees Centigrade mention. This temperature should never be encountered in a anything approaching normal engine operation.
@Houckster
We all know that you are convinced of Synlubes products. Yet I stay sceptic as you are mixing up so many things which just can't be true. The mineral oil industry e.g. uses much better products than PTFE as friction modifier, e.g. Molybdenumdithiocarbamates.

It is simply impossible to reduce the bearing clearances with Teflon. By the way, by doing this you would raise the oil temperature significantly.

I tried to explain to you other obvious mistakes during this thread.
In addition it does not make sense to claim that a 10 year old used oil is better than a new unused synthetic oil.

You are right by claiming that I never even saw a bottle of Synlube oil. But I saw many other oils and many engine oil test results to do such statements.
quote:
. . .you are mixing up so many things which just can't be true. The mineral oil industry e.g. uses much better products than PTFE as friction modifier, e.g. Molybdenumdithiocarbamates."
I am not mixing things up, it's just that you have some very hard preconceptions about what an oil can do and how it should be done. Consequently, any other approach seems fallacious to you. Just because you throw around a big word or two doesn't mean your basic proposition is true.

While SynLube does use PTFE as part of the effort to reduce friction, it is only part of the solution. The strength of the Synlube formula is that it uses a combination of chemicals to do this job. Thus to say that SynLube uses PTFE while other makers use Molybdenumdithiocarbamates, for example, is inaccurate to say the least.

quote:
It is simply impossible to reduce the bearing clearances with Teflon. By the way, by doing this you would raise the oil temperature significantly.
I never said this, I said that PTFE is embossed into the pores of the metal surface, not that it reduces clearances per se. No metal surface is completely smooth. It is in the irregularities of the surface that SynLube's PTFE and synthetic moly colloids are found and it is in this way that SynLube improves the seal at the piston rings.

quote:
I tried to explain to you other obvious mistakes during this thread.
In addition it does not make sense to claim that a 10 year old used oil is better than a new unused synthetic oil.
Presumptious and condescending! You have your opinion and I have mine.

quote:
You are right by claiming that I never even saw a bottle of Synlube oil. But I saw many other oils and many engine oil test results to do such statements.
I stand by my statement. SynLube has properties that other makers who make liquid-only lubricants don't can't even try to duplicate. It is the solids in SynLube that provide a quality and longevity of lubrication that liquids don't have. I stand by my statement.
Noise reduction is not essential for protection but can mask perhaps problems. PTFE is not that good on the friction angle probably causing heat so why include this solid.

The only other oil using solids appears to be the cheaper end of market.

Amsoil has been run for long OCIs without problems.

Most mainstay oil companies probably take a conservative view on oil changes until pushed by the maufacturer due to increasing service intervals. At best Synlude uses a good basestock but, too much ester may not be good so must be a fairly standard PAO plus some esters, but not worth anymore than other synthetics. An oil can only take a certain amount of additives which is the reason for usually changing a synth.
An additive top up is being worked on I believe with oil filters, so the top up appears to be only difference but how this mixes with the old oil is a questionable.
It seems clear that no matter what the properties of SynLube, there is an overwhelming proclivity to believe the worst no matter how far-fetched. How it can be believed that PTFE "is not that good on the friction angle probably causing heat so why include this solid." is hard for me to understand, especially since in 4 years of USING this product I have never had a problem with heat or any other problem. This apparently counts for nothing.

The rest of the post, I'm not sure I understand. There are fragments of logic presented end to end but not enough for me to respond to.

It does seem to me however, that I'm wasting my breath. Hopefully, without seeming mean-spirited, it is hard to avoid concluding that you are perfectly satisfied with what you're using and are not interested in SynLube's advantages. Consequently, there will always be another objection to trying it.

I think I am going to ride off into the sunset.

May all fair well!
This product seems odd. I emailed Miro and my Suburban is already worn out it seems. 122,000 miles on the odometer. The car that sets next to it also a GM product reflects 225,000 miles on the odometer. Miro sent an email that basically wondered why I would think of putting his oil in such a piece of junk. And one more thing... who in the heck refilters their oil?? Micro, nano, sub-micronic, redistilling all these are nice for smoke and mirrors but nobody else does it.
quote:
Originally posted by N2OIL:
This product seems odd. I emailed Miro and my Suburban is already worn out it seems. 122,000 miles on the odometer. The car that sets next to it also a GM product reflects 225,000 miles on the odometer. Miro sent an email that basically wondered why I would think of putting his oil in such a piece of junk. And one more thing... who in the heck refilters their oil?? Micro, nano, sub-micronic, redistilling all these are nice for smoke and mirrors but nobody else does it.

Do I understand your posting correct that you used Synlube in a prescribed manner and you know have problems with your engine?
Can you describe your problems?
I was going to try this product. I emailed the website about questions concerning the oil. My question was using a 5/50 seems out there for a 5/30 application. The email I recieved expressed that anything over 100,000 miles is worn out for a vortec V-8 engine.
The main guy's name is Miro. He actually asked why I would waste the money on his oil. I read all the posts about how great this oil is and I thought I would share some insight to who you might be dealing with as a consumer of this oil.
I am not remotely convinced that synlube is all that its proponents claim. Junk Science comes to mind but I won't go there.
Synlube seems dubious and defensive on the challenges to it's scientific merit. Besides the belief that so many motors are "worn out" at 70-100k miles is laughable. And seriously puts a dent in the credibility of the claims.
From reading this discussion and other things on the Web, it seems to me possible that:

Houckster = liar = Miro

That is, possibly, Houckster and Miro are the same liar.

The other possibility is that Miro is a liar, and Houckster is an easily mislead fool.

In either case, the falsehood emanating from them has its origins in the Evil One. Perhaps Miro is one of his children. Perhaps Houckster is easily taken by his seductive lies.

Houckster, Miro, get behind me--you who are infested by Satan!
I know this topic is a month old yet after reading this discussion I strongly feel that everyone is entitled to their thoughts and can explain them in a civilized manner, however to castigate someone after reading a topic of discussion and to call into question there character without personally knowing them is a bit judgemental and can only instigate strife which is unecessary in a forum that is designed to contribute to some form of enlightment on the subject at hand albiet not a life crisis.

Nonetheless respect and appreciation for others views allows for open communication such sharing allows for even the smallest insight on a matter even if the subject matter is oil "Synlube"

Unfortunately this exactly how such comments facilitate hostility and animosity unecessarily. Mature adults do not have to resort to name calling in order to prove ones point.

Houckster youre internal strengh is to be commended given you had not dignified the last response with answer. I applaud your efforts in trying to establish your point, a goodly amount of which you described opens the door for due consideration and some reasonableness on this brand of oil.
Last edited by gsleve
Thank you for your very kind comments. I really appreciate it.

I continue to have excellent performance from the SynLube products I've installed. Oil consumption remains incredibly low, on the order of 4 oz over 14.3K miles and with mileage well above average for my Ranger. I couldn't ask for more. I am going to submit a sample to Miro at 15K miles for some feedback, thereafter, I'll wait until 50K for another test.

Thanks again.
There is one simple reason that Houkster is so keen on Synlube.... he owns it! Anyone who wants to go to http://www.synlube.com will readily find out that 'Miro Kefurt' is the head honcho there! He is not a user only! As he sits in his abode in Las Vegas and promotes, mainly at his computer terminal, At $32.00 per quart [liter] - he does not have to sell too may knot heads his PTFE Cocktail in order to buy his own 'Throw Away Car' - no matter what he puts in the engine! AMSOIL is just AMSOIL - it's 32 year history of growth [will top $100,000,000.00 in sales for 2005] speaks for itself! Miro has threatened to sue me several time for owning the name synlube.net, and has accused me of buying that domian in order to get his customers. I didn't even know his stuff existed when I bought that domain name! I just saw it being used in all the trade literature, with a small 's', as a generic for SYNthetic LUBricants and though it would be a catchy name - for pete's sake! Who could have know that Miro wants to kraft the ownership of a 'Kleenex' type name? For the record - I do not want Miro's customers! Anyone dumb enough to pay $32.00 per quart [liter] for anything that does not have the name 'Dom Pirignon'; 'Chateau Lafite' or Pennicillin on it is off his skids - PERIOD! I read all of "Hucksters" [sic] posts and saw not a serious word about all the dirt [carbon, acid etc.] that accumulates in Lube4Life 'miracle water'. And waht about TBN..... even AMSOIL's TBN falls off eventually! Surely AMSOIL gets dirty as all git out if the filter is not changed! And even if the filter IS changed at say 12,500 miles - the oil is black as tar, until a good 5 micron filter change helps to brighten it up a bit DIRT is DIRT!!!! For $6 bucks a quart - AMSOIL's 25K oil is a good trade-off for EXMO's new 15,000 mile oil at the same price! There are 4,920 references in Google for synlube [sic] and 1/2 of them are Miro's.... the others prove it is a generic term! Type in AMSOIL once and you will see 298,000 references to it! There sure are a lot of dumb people out there! I am one of them! tlk
Infomercial? You gotta be kidding! The difference between me and 'Houkster' is that I come right out and tell you I sell AMSOIL. Personally I do not care if anyone here ever buys AMSOIL..... my sales and my overall success do not depend on me masquerading as an AMSOIL consumer like he does! NO WHERE does Miro Kefurt [Lube4Life huckster] candidly tell anyone that he owns the company! Who is doing the infomercials? Everyone on this board who carries on an ongoing dialog with him is being infomercialized up the gazoo! tlk

p.s. Please, if you are a friend his or a user of the wigit juice that Houkster is selling - DO NOT CALL ME AND ASK TO BUY AMSOIL.... I DO NOT WANT HIS BUSINESS OR YOURS! Neither AMSOIL Corporate nor 'any - any - any' manufacturer - or myself would ever tell someone to put gun lube [PTFE - petrotetroflourethelene (sic)] or frying pan coating in his engine, motor, diesel, turbine, or jet. P_E_R_I_O_D !!!

Read the following article.....

USING TEFLON(R) ADDITIVES

Not Very Smart
By James R. Davis

I will admit at the outset that I have no experience whatever in using Slick 50 (nor will I ever). Further, though much will be said of Slick 50 in what follows, it is all generally true of any other synthetic additive containing Teflon®.

Slick 50 is a PTFE related product (i.e., a Teflon® powder suspended in standard oil). Powder, you will note, is a SOLID. Your oil filter is designed to remove solids and tests have shown that oil filters clog substantially sooner when Slick 50 is used than if using standard oils without it - naturally. Manufacturers claim that the particle size of this powder is smaller than the pore size of oil filters, implying that they will pass right through them, but they do not also say that these particles expand rapidly when exposed to heat - so that they may well pass thru when cold, but not after they reach normal engine temperatures. Tests also demonstrate that other oil passageways also tend to clog when PTFE is used.

Tests? By whom? Are they credible? Answer: by organizations like NASA Lewis Research, the University of Utah Engineering Experiment Station, and even DuPont Chemical Corporation, the corporation that invented PTFE (Teflon®) and that provides PTFE to the manufacturers of these 'magic' oils.

Wait! They sell the PTFE to companies like those that make Slick 50 yet they argue that it clogs oil filters and other oil passageways? Not exactly. In a statement issued about ten years ago, DuPont's Fluoropolymers Division Product Specialist, J.F. Imbalzano said,

"Teflon is not useful as an ingredient in oil additives or oils used for internal combustion engines."

They went on and REFUSED to sell PTFE to anyone that intended to do so!
Naturally, they were sued by, guess who, on grounds of 'restraint of trade'. DuPont lost and have changed their position as follows: DuPont now states that though they sell PTFE to oil additive producers, they have "no proof of the validity of the additive makers' claims." They further state that they have "no knowledge of any advantage gained through the use of PTFE in engine oil."

NASA Lewis Research also ran tests on PTFE additives and they concluded that:

"In the types of bearing surface contact we have looked at, we have seen no benefit. In some cases we have seen detrimental effect. The solids in the oil tend to accumulate at inlets and act as a dam, which simply blocks the oil from entering. Instead of helping, it is actually depriving parts of lubricant."

As to my earlier assertion that Teflon® cannot be made to bond to engine parts, despite what Slick 50 says, the Chief Chemist of Redline Synthetic Oil Company, Roy Howell, says:

"... to plate Teflon on a metal needs an absolutely clean, high temperature surface, in a vacuum. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that the Teflon in Slick 50 actually plates the metal surface. In addition the Cf (Coefficient of friction) of Teflon is actually greater than the Cf of an Oil Film on Steel. Also, if the Teflon did fill in 'craters' in the steel, than it would fill in the honing of the cylinder, and the oil would not seal the piston rings."

Well, you get the picture. PTFE products like Slick 50 tend to clog oil filters and passageways, resulting in faster ENGINE WEAR. Further, Teflon® is NOT as slippery as an Oil Film on Steel.

Nobody is arguing that you won't get higher engine performance (power) or better gas mileage if you use it. On the other hand, if your engine wears out faster I wonder if that's worth it along with the very much higher price.

If you find that you have to change your oil more often, and use this pricey stuff in it each time, the effective cost is even higher. If you decide that clogged oil filters and oil passageways are something you'd rather do without, how do you get rid of it once you put it into your system? Well, in the case of your clutch, by taking it apart and cleaning it! That's an expensive additive 'cost'.

It is no wonder as far as I'm concerned that Slick 50 is often called 'snake oil'. You might not be stupid if you put it into your motorcycle, but I would be.
-------
Following is a press release from the Federal Trade Commission that you will find interesting if anything I said above fails to be persuasive - JRD

FOR RELEASE: JULY 23, 1997
------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUAKER STATE SUBSIDIARIES SETTLE FTC CHARGES AGAINST SLICK 50
Agreement Safeguards $10 Million in Redress to Consumers

Three subsidiaries of Quaker State Corp. have agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that ads for Quaker State's Slick 50 Engine Treatment were false and unsubstantiated. Under the terms of the settlement, the companies will be barred from making certain claims and required to have substantiation for claims about the performance, benefits, efficacy or attributes of their engine lubricant products. In addition, the settlement will preserve the Commission's option to seek consumer redress if class action suits currently being litigated against Quaker State and its subsidiaries result in less than $10 million in consumer redress.

The three Quaker State subsidiaries named in the settlement are Blue Coral, Inc., Blue Coral-Slick 50, Inc., and Blue Coral-Slick 50, Ltd. Blue Coral, Inc., is based in Cleveland, Ohio. Since its 1978 introduction, Slick 50 has about 30 million users world-wide and retails for about $18 a quart. The company claims to have about 60% of the engine treatment market.

In July, 1996, the FTC issued a complaint against four now-defunct Quaker State subsidiaries, which have been succeeded in interest by the three subsidiaries named in the settlement. The FTC's 1996 complaint charged that ads for Slick 50 claiming improved engine performance and reduced engine wear were deceptive. According to the 1996 complaint, Quaker State's subsidiaries aired television and radio commercials and published brochures carrying claims such as:

--"Every time you cold start your car without Slick 50 protection, metal grinds against metal in your engine";

--"With each turn of the ignition you do unseen damage, because at cold start-up most of the oil is down in the pan. But Slick 50's unique chemistry bonds to engine parts. It reduces wear up to 50% for 50,000 miles";

--"What makes Slick 50 Automotive Engine Formula different is an advanced chemical support package designed to bond a specially activated PTFE to the metal in your engine."

According to the FTC complaint, these claims and similar ones falsely represented that without Slick 50, auto engines generally have little or no protection from wear at start-up and commonly experience premature failure caused by wear. In fact, the complaint alleged, most automobile engines are adequately protected from wear at start-up when they use motor oil as recommended in the owner's manual. Moreover, it is uncommon for engines to experience premature failure caused by wear, whether they have been treated with Slick 50 or not, according to the FTC. Finally, the FTC alleged that Slick 50 neither coats engine parts with a layer of PTFE nor meets military specifications for motor oil additives, as falsely claimed.

The FTC complaint also charged that Slick 50 lacked substantiation for advertising claims that, compared to motor oil alone, the product:

--reduces engine wear;

--reduces engine wear by more than 50%;

--reduces engine wear by up to 50%;

--reduces engine wear at start-up;

--extends the duration of engine life;

--lowers engine temperatures;

--reduces toxic emissions;

--increases gas mileage; and

--increases horsepower.

In addition, the complaint alleged that the company did not have adequate substantiation for its advertising claims that one treatment of Slick 50 continues to reduce wear for 50,000 miles and that it has been used in a significant number of U.S. Government vehicles.

Finally, the complaint challenged ads stating that "tests prove" the engine wear reduction claims make by Slick 50. In fact, according to the FTC complaint, tests do not prove that Slick 50 reduces engine wear at start up, or by 50%, or that one treatment reduces engine wear for 50,000 miles.

The agreement to settle the FTC charges bars any claims that:

--engines lack protection from wear at start-up unless they have been treated with Slick 50 or a similar PTFE product;

--engines commonly experience premature failure caused by wear unless they are treated with Slick 50 or a similar PTFE product; or,

--Slick 50 or a similar PTFE product coats engine parts with a layer of PTFE.

In addition, the agreement will prohibit misrepresentations that Slick 50 or any engine lubricant meets the standards of any organization and misrepresentations about tests or studies.

The settlement also prohibits any claims about the performance, benefits, efficacy, attributes or use of engine lubricants unless Quaker State's subsidiaries possess and rely on competent and reliable evidence to substantiate the claims. In addition, it prohibits the Quaker State subsidiaries from claiming that any other Slick 50 motor vehicle lubricant reduces wear on a part, extends the part's life, lowers engine temperature, reduces toxic emissions, increases gas mileage or increases horsepower unless they can substantiate the claim. The subsidiaries also will be required to notify resellers of the product about the settlement with the FTC and the restrictions on advertising claims.

Finally, the agreement holds open the option that the FTC may seek consumer redress. If the private class action suits against Slick 50 currently under litigation do not result in at least $10 million in redress to consumers, the agency reserves its right to file its own federal district court action for consumer redress. In addition, the FTC has reserved its right to seek to intervene in any class action suit to oppose a settlement it believes is not in the public interest.

The Commission vote to approve the proposed consent agreement was 5-0. A summary of the agreement will be published in the Federal Register shortly and will be subject to public comment for 60 days, after which the Commission will decide whether to make it final. Comments should be addressed to the FTC, Office of the Secretary, 6th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580.

NOTE: A consent agreement is for settlement purposes only and does not constitute an admission of a law violation. When the Commission issues a consent order on a final basis, it carries the force of law with respect to future actions. Each violation of such an order may result in a civil penalty of $11,000.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copies of the complaint, consent agreement, an analysis to aid public comment and an FTC brochure, "Penny Wise or Pump Fuelish" are available on the Internet at the FTC's World Wide Web site at: http://www.ftc.gov and also from the FTC's Public Reference Branch, Room 130, 6th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580; 202-326-2222; TTY for the hearing impaired 202-326-2502. To find out the latest news as it is announced, call the FTC NewsPhone recording at 202-326-2710.

Teflon® is a registered trademark of DuPont.

Copyright © 1992-2003 by The Master Strategy Group, all rights reserved
I'm late to the party. Let me see if I have this straight. They, synlube, want me to use a 50 weight oil with ptfe's and no other oil company or manufacturer is smart enough to figure this out for themselves or copy it. I'm sure glad I found this out. I guess this shows that Honda knows nothing about making cars, dosen't it. Honda is so stupid, they are going the other way, to 20 weight oils. Honda's never going to make it in the auto industry if they don't get this stuff straight. Who'd ever buy a car with the wrong oil in it. I guess we're going to see this miracle synlube oil everywhere any time now. If it almost never has to be changed, just think of the gift to the environment this company is. I guess no one is selling a similar product because they just don't have the vision. And to think, they only want $32 a liter, what a bargin. How stupid I've been.....
A hugh percentage of cars out there are under a warranty of some kind. I'll bet that not one of those warranties specifies 50 weight oil and oil changes beyond 5 to 7.5k miles. And this synlube oil is only for engines in good condition which would eliminate a lot of cars out of warranty. So, basically, if you are under warranty or have a worn engine they don't want you. Sounds like a great marketing plan. Sell to people that are willing to void their warranty. That's a good crowd to hook up with. If that's their marketing plan, I can't wait to see what the actually put in the oil. They must have the best secret stuff in the world. I'll bet we have lots of users out there, I just wish we could get some response and uoa' and all that kind of stuff.
quote:
Over that 10 year period, Amsoil would have to be installed 10 times and they require a filter change at 6 months (unnecessary in my opinion) to keep the warranty they provide intact. My Ranger uses 5 quarts of oil and the list price is $8.35 for the Series 2000 0W30 which is the oil I'd use if SynLube were not available. Now if you're like me, I'd press for a discount and let's say I can get the price down to $7 a quart. Then there's the filters and their top line filters range from about $9.75 to $28. Let's settle on $10 per filter. That's $55 for each year and that's only if you install it yourself. At the end of 10 years, your costs will be $550 (plus shipping and/or applicable taxes) vs. $195 for SynLube. That's a decent monetary savings of $355 plus the savings in time and the almost complete elimination of waste oil which should not be overlooked. Finally, you can return the oil to SynLube at the end of the oil's service life for a credit towards the purchase of new SynLube.

Regarding your theoretical use of Amsoil oil I can prove you that calculated costs could be lowered. Series 2000 oils are recomended for 35.000 miles use (or one year, whichever comes first) and for reaching mileage "limit" you should use oil anlysis - Amsoil or someone's other. Result is: (at least) just 5 oil changes + 4 oil analysis what means costs almost same as for SynLube. So, SynLube advantages are in handling - oil changes, taking oil samples, sending them, ...
Very interesting and somewhat confusing thread to me. It's convinced me to use either Amsoil or Redline for my next oil change, and to investigate further on oil filers, for my 2000 Ford Focus with 205k km (about 120k miles). Both are available here in Canada at Canadian Tire stores. Up here in Canada, Redline is about $14.00, and Amsoil 2000 is about $12.00 per litre/quart.I'm using Amsoil 2000 in my new John Deere GX335, and I think the engine now runs quieter than the dino oil that was changed out.

Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by inHaliburton:
... It's convinced me to use either Amsoil or Redline for my next oil change...
Paul.

It's up to you to make a choice (regarding your own preferences, technical data and manufacturers recomendations) but think first about availability of all related "parts". In Canadian Tire stores you can not find Amsoil oil filters and Engine flush which use is recomended if you switch from petroleum oil (but not at must).
If you consider Red line (18.000 miles recomendation change) as one of options more economic solution might be Amsoil 5W-30 Synthetic motor oil (25.000 miles, about $10 per bottle) instead of Series 2000 oil (35.000 miles).
Regarding fact that this thread is named Synlybe and that your and mine posts are non-related to it please send anything of your concern to: gordan_d@yahoo.com
Last edited by djordan
So, have we figured out if anyone is using synlube? This stuff takes quite a leap. They claim that they have a formula that is beyond the abilities of any other chemist in the world to duplicate. It's just hard to believe something I can't see or understand and is not proven to any degree that I can accept. I wish that somebody would step up and accept free oil and run a real test with a lot of mileage, uoa's and peer review.
I think that we already figured out - only one user of Synlube is (still) Houckster.
Wanting not to be suspicious person in advance I would really need more technical documentation to accept Synlube claims and to use product. I usually do not believe in wonders but sometimes I just accept them. The (kind of) last one was (a few years ago) Russian oil additive which use allowed driving a car 100 kms without oil. That wasn't purpose of additive but it just demonstrates its abilities.

Free oil,… test,… am I missing something? I do not run a lot of mileage – so I would (unfortunately?) disqualify myself in advance.
If synlube is lurking I have a request. Would you submit a sample to Dyson Analysis and let Terry Dyson publish the results here. The analysis would cost you about $500 and I'm sure that would be no problem. Will the number of responses here, it would be the best $500 investment you ever made.

If this request is ignored then we have an answer and we can stick a fork in this thread, it's done.

Any comments?
Good idea. Let professionals to say a 'final word'. At least all of us (including Houckster) can agree about fact that oil analysis (not only Dyson) reveals what is happening with oil and engine.
So, can we even ease requests? Any of available oil analysis (Amsoil, PdMA, Wear Check, Oil Analysis Lab Inc., Bently,...) results could be acceptable.
Intriguing post from Bob

I use these oils as my father is a dealer in France.
There is no dealer outside Europe.

All their oils are ACEA A3 rated at least, except the 15W60 non graphited dino (not listed on their website).
I've used the Carat-S which is currently ACEA A3/B3/C3 and complies with many EU car makers specs, from 45K to 50,35K miles with an OCI at 50K. I crashed my car then, changed the body and need to spend several hundred € to buy dead electronic parts.

My current mix is the same model of car is a group 3 A3 rated 5W40 -their lowest oil quality- with a graphite/MoS2 additive.
Engine is 136hp 1.4L 8V turbocharged, with 81.4K miles.

I'll swith back to the carat S for my next OCI (every 4661 miles or 7 500 kms).

If I tune my engine (injectors, turbo, intercoler, cams...), I'll use the ester based "Bio Carat", very robust in competition use.

Marly is a solid lubricant specialist since 1919 and uses graphite in automotive products since 1930.
They use graphite and moly (SX oil additive which is a gaphite + MoS2 combinaison in synthectic fluids) for decades, and are also a special lubricants maker.

Graphite particles are <1µ and never caused damages from what I know with the Black Gold oil range.
These oils apparead in 1977 and have always been formulated with a colloidal suspension of graphite particles.

Graphite oils failed to be largely used because of the dark colour, people think dark oil is used oil
I thought I'd comment on an aspect of this ongoing issue because after reading these post and appreciating the info being conveyed there was some decent points being brought to the fore, especially regarding the makeup of synlube being that it uses some of these anti friction components ie: graphite, moly disulfide and teflon.

Before one castigate me on this subject I'd like to point out that last night while viewing the history channel and the subject being discussed had peaked my curiosity, the segment was MODERN MARVELS subject LUBRICANTS it heavily dealt with lubricating properties and there continuous evolution. Yet of particular interest a goodly amount of time was spent on three components that have some inherent lubricating properites as well as superior anti friction properites they were Graphite, Moly, teflon. And how that a few of these are being used in the lubricating industry as well as automotive.

The same three components used in this so called synlube. Very interesting to me thought I'd pass this along.
I have loosely followed the comments in this thread and I made some of the earliest posts. I stopped participating for the most part because some of the posters were more interested in batting down any possibility that SynLube was a good product rather than being willing to exchange ideas.

I have 15K+ on the SynLube I'm using and will be sending in a sample to SynLube for analysis. During that time, I've consumed only about 4 oz. of oil.
I know of a mechanic who is using this product in his chrysler sebring and has already taken two analysis and they have all come back extemely well, given he is a skeptic and his profession is an auto technician, hes accumulated I believe about 40k on the oil itself during this time he's had two analysis, his comments were that no performance issues. Vehicle is running fine.
As soon as I get a moment I'll ask him by email we'll see if he wouldn't mind first I have to inform him of the great controversy over this subject matter so he'll be more inclined to do so given the overwhelming propensity of scepticism here on this board.

I'll also inform him that it'll be under stringent scrutiny by others in a quest to disprove it's effectiveness and inherent flaws.

Additionally that it seems atmosphere of open mindedness doesn necessarily permeate the board that it will be posted to.
Man - Here we go again... didn't anyone raed my posts on page 6? Here, I'll cut and paste for you!

"There is one simple reason that Houkster is so keen on Synlube.... he owns it! Anyone who wants to go to http://www.synlube.com will readily find out that 'Miro Kefurt' is the head honcho there! He is not a user only! As he sits in his abode in Las Vegas and promotes, mainly at his computer terminal, At $32.00 per quart [liter] - he does not have to sell too may knot heads his PTFE Cocktail in order to buy his own 'Throw Away Car' - no matter what he puts in the engine! AMSOIL is just AMSOIL - it's 32 year history of growth [will top $100,000,000.00 in sales for 2005] speaks for itself! Miro has threatened to sue me several time for owning the name synlube.net, and has accused me of buying that domian in order to get his customers.........."

Now 'gsleve' mentions the History Channel's Modern Marvels one hour program last Wednesday night at 9:00 pm entitled "Lube Job" - 'The History of Modern Lubrication'. Yes, it did mention graphite, moly, and teflon.... but did you notice that they were NOT touted as being eccepted as gfood for internal combustion engines. Did you also note that 'Synlube' or 'Lube4life' which Miro Kefury [known on this board as 'Houksster' wasw not even mentioned when he will tell you on his website at http://www.synlube.com that his company pioneered the use of P-A-O base stock oil. NOW THE MODERN MARVEL PROGRAM PLAINLY STATED THAT THE PIONEER THAT STARTED SYNTHETIC OIL FOR OVER THE ROAD USE WAS NONE OTHEER THAN ALBERT J AMATUZIO, PRESIDENT AND FOUNDER OF AMSOIL..... THEN THE PROGRAM WENT ON TO SHOW SEVERAL SHOTS OF AMSOIL'S MANUFACTURING FACILITY AND THE LABELING LINE WITH BOTTLES COMING OFF THE LINE WITH AN AMSOIL INSPECTOR TENDING THAT LINE. IT WAS QUITE A NICE ENDORCEMENT FOR AMSOIL..... as the first and the largest in the P-A-O based oils. I copied the whole program to DVD and then edited out all the commercials. If you want a copy it is FREE plus postage - if you will just send me and an email on the contact page at http://www.synlube.NET It does not take a rocket scientist so see that Kefurt's rhetoric on this board is as self serving as mine admitedly is! tlk :-)
My question is simply this... With all of the pertinent and relevant information that I have read about, be it on this forum, this topic, or other websites, The Motor Oil Bible written by Michael Kaufman, or various other seeds of knowledge in this vast medium called the internet, how can this lubricant possibly deliver all that is stated on the website when granted, oil doesn't break down, but the additives do get depleted and need replenished, more so than just adding a quart here and a quart there of top off lubricant. I've started a topic a while back asking for users of this stuff, and Houckster was the only one to respond, basically with the same responsed and information that has been posted in this one.

To make a long story short...I WANT REAL PROOF IN NUMBERS, TECHNICAL DATA (other than the synlube website itself) AND DATA FROM A USER FROM YEARS OF NO OIL CHANGES!!! not just one year, or 6 months.

If that can be had, and this stuff is worth its pricetag, then I'd be willing to try it, but in all of my research and posing questions in this forum and to others that I know that have had experience in the lubrication field, I am told to stay FAR away from synlube and its products.

Now, somebody please prove my view wrong....
No one is going to be able to prove your view "wrong". I have long known that such efforts are doomed to failure.

I have stated the reasons, verified in my own experience, that I believe recommend the product. From here on, your decision is whether you're going to take a reasonable risk as I did and try something new. I cannot imagine you will be disappointed but that's something you'll have to decide for yourself.

Ask yourself something. Did you require the same amount of "proof" for the oil that you're using now? Why do you think the oil guys have marketing departments? The principle reason is to handhold a customer through the decision process that leads to them making a sale. SynLube doesn't have that and probably never will. They are willing to let the oil's performance speak for itself.

If you have a specific question, maybe I can answer it. I will be glad to try though I'll tell you that I'm no expert. I just learned enough to give me sufficient confidence to proceed with my purchase.

Of course if you e-mail SynLube with some questions, Miro Kefurt will give you a no-BS answer. Be aware that he gets quite a few "cross-examination/flame" letters so he's ready to respond in kind but for sincere questions he's always been very good.

BTW, I am familiar with Dan Kaufman. He and I participated on the MyFordFocus board and he was always very knowledgeable about oil, much more so than I. To my knowledge though, and this may be dated information, he did not investigate SynLube.
I would also like to contribute perhaps some small suggestion as well, one might want to do their research pertaining to the elements that synlube contains IE: colloidal lubrication itself, afterwhich an investigation on synthetic graphite, moly, ptfe and see how these various elments are used in varying industries there usage may be diverse/

Nonetheless I believe if one takes the time to inform themselves and dig into some research further insight may be gained as to whether or not such elements can be used as a lubricant for personal cars
I believe that Mr.Dyson has some information about this oil at one time I think he commented on the fact that the oil had met one of the GF4 standard whereas others were not in compliant yet, this was quite some time ago.

He has commented that he would like to see its chemical makeup or toure the facility can't remeber which I believe the post was on bobistheoilguy forum, but I believe something regarding proprietary issues, at that time Synlube was still recieveing some serious castigation.

A considerable amount of disbelief ensued
With all the oils around with many using the oil and posting uoa's an personal information, we have maybe two people using Synlube, some info from a web site. That qualifies Synlube as basically an unknown quantity, eight pages of it. There is no documentation by way of lab results and no answers from the company. Can we now put Synlube in the same group with products like Slick 50, Prolong, MotorUP and Z-Max, that is mystry stuff in an expensive bottle?
quote:
Why don't you check the FTC site for references to SynLube? You will find none. Disappointed?

What are you talking about? Is the fact that a prodcut has not had a published legal problem an indication of quality? You are making my point, there is no solid information about Synlube, good or bad. We figured out that there is nothing good in the way of lab results or other concrete evidense and you have pointed that the FTC knows nothing about them, either. All their users have reported in and neither one wants to post a uoa. The product remains a mystry. I don't think anyone has anything bad to say at all. Like the little ole' ladys sez, "Where's the beef?'.
The current formulation of SynLube has been on the market since 1996, that's sufficient time for a bogus product to have been reported.

If you've read over the posts I made at the beginning of this thread and you've read a fair portion of the information on the SynLube website, there isn't much else to say.

Your willingness to group SynLube with products that have been condemned by the FTC because they could not substantiate their claims like Slick 50 and Prolong indicates strongly that you've already decided that SynLube doesn't work. As I've said before, I have no intention of beating my head against the wall trying to convince people who have no desire to really consider the product that SynLube does what it claims.

In time (I am waiting for a special drain plug so I can draw samples more easily.), I will submit a sample of the oil I have for analysis and submit the findings here but with only a little over 15K on it, I see no reason why the result could not be easily passed off. On one other board, another SynLube user who had been using the oil for several years, presented his findings and he was called a fool and other things. As GSLEVE said: "A considerable amount of disbelief ensued." So it will be here.

Mazda1: The four years of experience I have with SynLube is distributed over three vehicles. My current vehicle is just over a 1.5 years old. The oil has 15K+ miles on it.
Last edited by houckster
Bakerman I have a suggestion why don't you contact these folks, let them know there is an ongoing debate to the viablility of synlube, and then you can demand that they produce a UOA to prove it's viability, and send it to you or this forum. No, make that two UOA from different sources or perhaps three.

Additionally tell them to make sure the these companies should have some expertise in colloidal technology so as to ascertain from the analysis which particle count is a solid and which is colloidal, I forgot tell them they need to send in a VOA first so as to make comparison, with the used.

Bear in mind some of these people have accumulated over 100k on this oil and their vehicles seemed to be running fine with no issues then again you have no way of knowing because it appears you've made no inquiry of them.

Now some even have well over 130k on the oil and performance is not inhibited. Again you have no way of knowing because it appears you've made no inquiry of them. Seeing that you demand know. Do you think this is a good idea that would lend to some good research on your part and positive contribution in terms of knowledge sharing ?
Last edited by gsleve
Mazda1 if you are desirous of information gathering would it not behoove you as well to perhaps contact some of these customers directly, who are listed on the synlube website that way you can bring to the table some concrete info for this site.

Given there seems to be some disbelief as to this oil basic funtionality related to lubricaton, these folks may enlighten you as to their experience, then you can get detailed in your line of questioning as to the oil worthiness to them.
Man - Here we go a THIRD TIME... didn't anyone read my posts on page 6 and 7? Here, I'll cut and paste for you again!

"There is one simple reason that Houkster is so keen on Synlube.... he owns it! Anyone who wants to go to http://www.synlube.com will readily find out that 'Miro Kefurt' is the head honcho there! He is not a user only! As he sits in his abode in Las Vegas and promotes, mainly at his computer terminal, At $32.00 per quart [liter] - he does not have to sell too may knot heads his PTFE Cocktail in order to buy his own 'Throw Away Car' - no matter what he puts in the engine! AMSOIL is just AMSOIL - it's 32 year history of growth [will top $100,000,000.00 in sales for 2005] speaks for itself! Miro has threatened to sue me several time for owning the name synlube.net, and has accused me of buying that domian in order to get his customers.........."

Now 'gsleve' mentions the History Channel's Modern Marvels one hour program last Wednesday night at 9:00 pm entitled "Lube Job" - 'The History of Modern Lubrication'. Yes, it did mention graphite, moly, and teflon.... but did you notice that they were NOT touted as being eccepted as gfood for internal combustion engines. Did you also note that 'Synlube' or 'Lube4life' which Miro Kefury [known on this board as 'Houksster' wasw not even mentioned when he will tell you on his website at http://www.synlube.com that his company pioneered the use of P-A-O base stock oil. NOW THE MODERN MARVEL PROGRAM PLAINLY STATED THAT THE PIONEER THAT STARTED SYNTHETIC OIL FOR OVER THE ROAD USE WAS NONE OTHEER THAN ALBERT J AMATUZIO, PRESIDENT AND FOUNDER OF AMSOIL..... THEN THE PROGRAM WENT ON TO SHOW SEVERAL SHOTS OF AMSOIL'S MANUFACTURING FACILITY AND THE LABELING LINE WITH BOTTLES COMING OFF THE LINE WITH AN AMSOIL INSPECTOR TENDING THAT LINE. IT WAS QUITE A NICE ENDORCEMENT FOR AMSOIL..... as the first and the largest in the P-A-O based oils. I copied the whole program to DVD and then edited out all the commercials. If you want a copy it is FREE plus postage - if you will just send me and an email on the contact page at http://www.synlube.NET

I will now begin to masqarade as a mere user like Houkster does! This seems to carry more weight with people her! I use AMSOIL and it is just great! I think it is the best oil! I buy it from a guy on my street! AMSOIL has never been sued by the FTC either! Did you see this month's issue of LUBES 'N' GREASES in which AMSOIL is featured in a five page article? NO! You should go on the internet and get you free subsscription! You will never see "Synlube" in this or any other main stream lubrication media - because it is not taken serious by the professional tribological engineers! I was told, about synlube, that compared to AMSOIL's $100,000,000 volume this year that Synlube is a proverbial ant running up and elephants leg screaming "RAPE" !!! :-) Use Synlube at your4 own peril.
See this month's LUBES 'N' GREASES editorial article [5 pages] on AMSOIL's company, Founder and history - QUITE IMPRESSIVE - just like the History Channel's "Modern Marvels - JUBE JOB" which also features AMSOIL's Founder Albert J. Amatuzio as the man who single handedly started the first company to manufacture and market 100% synthetic oils for over the road use in America in 1972 [33 years ago]. AMSOIL is still the largest in it's feild as an exclusive supplier of TRUE P-A-O based lubricants for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Racing, Industrial, Farm, Marine, RV's, RC's, etc.. !!!
As a Mechanical Engineer with 39 years experience in the Industrial Power Transmission field... I have been associates with lubrication and lubrication failures in industrial gear reducers, gearing, roller chain and internal combustion engines. I was a Power Up Lubricants Representative for 14 years! I am now associated with AMSOIL as a Direct Dealer. I am NOT asking you to buy AMSOIL here on this board. I do recommend that you NOT take my word or Houkster's word for what is considered viable technology in lubrication..... there is plenty of Scientific information on the internet.... much of it on the many websites available! If you go to my website, use it for information purposes..... it is linked to the corporate site that has 3,500 pages of information - much of it technical! READ and THINK..... don't listen to anecdotal hog wash touted by people with mere opinions based upon their limited experiences. Your vehicle probably cost a lot of money - you owe it to yourself to research the subject of lubrication very carefully! Sift through the maze of non-scientific stuff and arrive at the lowest common denominator and you will see why AMSOIL is a highly respected company with an impecable record of satisfaction amongts it's customers!
I will not resort to ad hominem arguments any more - but the debate over your company's product 'Lube4Life' is based upon the misconception that you are on this board as a mere user of the products which you are hawking. I will not engage in a debate with someone who is here for the express purpose of getting attention for his personally owned company - remember, I still have copies of all of our correspondance. I know what you are and who you are. I dare you to refute my comments here! Are you not one Miro Kifurt, owner of the company - Lube4Life A.K.A. "Synlube"? ANSWER?
A.J. Amatuzio made use of used P-A-O Synthetic Jet oil from his Air Force F-86 to conduct his first 'cold start' experiments in his personal vehilce in the frigid starting conditions in Minnesota, my home state in 1968-69. From there he went on to start the AMZOIL company. Pennzoil got twisted about his use of the 'Z' in the name so he changes it to an 'S'. His pioneering work, in the field of synthetic engine oils, led recently to Wal-Mart coming to him [Read the artilce in the months LUBES'N'GREASES article] .... with a check for $40,000,000 to put his products in their stores. He turned them down for obvious reasons. "An now you know the rest of the story."
Synlube no one is questioning amsoils capabilities I know it intimately, I've been using it longer than you've been" Power Up Lubricants Representative for 14 years! "

However lets step back a little bit and rethink, when amsoil was touting it's 1yr 25k drain how many individuals embraced such a concept way too radical, how many were in disbelief of it's capabilities. Even mobil1 jump on the bandwagon and couldn't substantiate their claims and withdrew it's statement. Yet Amsoil persevered.

Nonetheless it took a long while for people to get use to the concept of not draining the oil past 3k or even 2k. Many naysayers and critics hurled a number or attacks against amsoil for propagating such a radical idea. For that matter much of the disbelief regarding synthetic oil was predicated on opinionated bias, without substantiation and so people were convinced because the local mechanic and Johns great grand dad said no way, what's wrong with you, we've been doing this for years and you can't convince me, and now you couple that with the car manufacturer discouraging such a proposterous notion of extended oil drains, despite oil analysis proving otherwise.

Point is people have been conditioned and indoctrinated to believe without questioning, don't fix it if it isn't broke, despite the increase in technology yes even within the oil industry. Addtionally those who tried amsoil did so without oil analysis sort of a leap of faith, and many have become to this day strong proponents of synthetics, again despite the fact that most did not even seek testing data to prove to themselves Amsoil was viable, maybe they were ignorant, not aware such data existed or how to obtain it, yet they based there decision on the marketing put before them or because a certain friend uses it, and so reasoned he had no problems it must be good.
A goodly portion being ancedotal.

I believe we've again encounter a much similar situation that Amsoil faced, and look how it stood against the giants within the oil industry, it had some very humble beginings.

So we need bear in mind that it's quite possible or probable that a lubrication company such as SYNLUBE may be in it's humble stages as well trying to go against the tide promoting a radical concept as no oil changes for 150k or 15yrs, just as amsoil did with it's 1yr 25k drain regiment.

And the question arise could it be that such technology does exist could it be that SYNLUBE might have something here that others may have missed or chosen not to explore, the possiblity is worth exploring rather than tear down, open mindednes is key to knowledge.
Last edited by gsleve
Well I must concede, gsleve has finally posted a wonderful counterpoint to the nay sayers of Synlube, myself included. I have only been using synthetics for 15 years, and only started extended drain intervals (mind you only 10-15,000 miles as well) in the last 10 of those years.

I've used just about everything out there, always looking for bigger and better. Hell, I even started the vegetable oil topic for some input, and that met with resistance and nay sayers, because not so long ago, mention the term vegetable oil and most people think of castor oil, which would most definitely NOT work in most of today's automobiles very well. But alas, I did some homework, read the web pages of information on the product, called up the company, talked for a while, and decided to give their product a go. I currently use it in three vehicles, and it seems to doing just fine.
Sorry, hit the wrong button...

To continue, I guess that we might be going about condemning Synlube's product this way based on cost, or that we have been programmed to believe that a product that could possibly last that long, without changing, couldn't possibly be true or work.

I have learned the very hard way to listen to the more experienced than I in most lubrication matters, so that is why I kind of stay skeptical toward Synlube. Everything points to that it won't work, but if it didn't cost a mortgage payment to outfit a vehicle with all of their fluids, I would give it a try for myself. That's why I wanted cold, hard facts and figures first.

I guess that I'm just old fashioned that way.
DAD2LEIA: OK, you make a good point but let's also consider that there aren't very many "experts" on SynLube. Using solid lubricants is relatively new to most people, even those who have been using and studying lubricants for years have little experience with colloids. Consequently, you really can't depend too heavily on others in order to make a determination.

In the end, you simply have to be willing to take a chance just as you did with the product you're using now. Do the homework, read their website and ask yourself the question: Why WOULDN'T it work?
glseve, I guess there are just not enough people out there to generate enough interst in getting a uoa. I though this forum was a place you could trade info and ideas without going to a web site. That way you could get info based on analysis and experience vs a sales promotion. I have never said that I though Synlube was anything good or bad, just that it was a mystry. And since there is not much info maybe it's just a product that will just go away, somewhere. Look at these 9 pages of interest, and still no rabbit.
Bakerman I don't believe that those who are using it are aware that such a debate exist about the product. My point was to net out the sales promotion and enlist those on the website to obtain a UOA and see if there vehicles are running optimally.

However I believe that some of these people will not get that granular regarding information about there vehicles, we on this forum are for a lack of a better word "oil fanatics" looking for the best so we can extend the life of our vehicles and lower the total cost of ownership. Getting the most bang for the buck.

What I find of interest that some users of synlube have allowed for there email contacts to be posted which lends itself for nicely for exhanging information and insight if we continue to be the skeptics that we are about this product, then by all means lets leverage this resource to our advantage in the light of information gathering and make inquires of them.

Isn't this the process we use in everyday life we inquire research inquire more seek knowledge and then test whether such claims are true.
If this thread goes on long enough, will we see a uoa or voa on this stuff. Testimonals are hard to figure out. Analysis and numbers are more useful, expecially if this oil is different than everything else in the world. It's like the caveman that says that with his secret weapon that no one else has, he can rule the world, and holds up a rock.
quote:

Sift through the maze of non-scientific stuff and arrive at the lowest common denominator and you will see why AMSOIL is a highly respected company with an impecable record of satisfaction amongts it's customers!

Impeccable record of satisfaction huh ? Razz

Well myself and some other people might just disagree with you on that . Smile

Carry on though , never mind me . Smile
quote:
About 15.3K.

Re Terry, I know that his word would have more value here but as I pointed out, I want to have Synlube's results first and then if that's good then I send another sample to Terry.

Why don't you send one to each, Synlube and Terry at the same time. Let us know the results of both.
quote:
Asking a manufacturer if they think their product is good is not of much use. Since Terry does not own any stock in Synlube his evalutation would carry more weight. He should do his work without any knowledge of what the Synlube lab says.

You may not realize it, but one of the things that attracted me to Miro is his willingness to be truthful. He is a no-nonsense guy who would tell me if something is wrong and advise what would be needed to fix it. He also genuinely loves getting feedback from the field. My belief is that the results I get back will come very close to what Mr. Dyson reports who, as I understand it, already has some experience with SynLube. BTW, it is important to know about SynLube before analyzing it as it because it has components in its additive package that would lead to misinterpretation otherwise.

SynLube Oil Analysis

Mazda1 wrote:
quote:
Why don't you send one to each, Synlube and Terry at the same time. Let us know the results of both.
As I wrote above, there is no point sending a sample to Dyson UNLESS SynLube gives the oil a thumbs up. Though most here won't accept a good report from SynLube I think most would accept a bad one and in such a case spending $40 or so to get a second bad report would be pointless.
BRUCE381: Thank you for an entirely worthless post. Go take your meds.

From Barkerman:
quote:
That's too bad. I thought we were going to see a uoa. If there's a chance that this stuff in nothing special you sure don't want to expose it to a uoa. It's better to just do some more advertising.
Why don't you read my posts? You will see a UOA!
On basis Amsoil boast a 100k OCI and Synlube reduce OCI depending on use, perhaps not barmy.

Synlube may also take same view as Ford does with thin oils!

Synlube may have as interseting basestock as GC.

Solids are being used by Elf.

Synlube now have added 0W40 to range.

Intrigued to see UOA.

Perhaps non Synlube users are being conned into short OCIs as wear may be highest after oil change!
quote:
From Barkerman:

quote:
That's too bad. I thought we were going to see a uoa. If there's a chance that this stuff in nothing special you sure don't want to expose it to a uoa. It's better to just do some more advertising.

Why don't you read my posts? You will see a UOA!

quote:

You have not commited to sending a sample to a third party, you said maybe. This thread has been running since July and there has not been anything of substance. There is an interest in this Synlube stuff. People would like to believe that somthing like Synlube could exist, but I guess it's not to be.
I honestly think you haven't read the my posts closely enough. You're missing my point.

The point of the UOAs is to see if the product gives a good result. Isn't that right? Sending the first sample to SynLube gives them a chance to establish their validity. If they supply a UOA with a good result, then a sample will be sent to Dyson for further comfirmation. I drew two samples of the oil for testing at the same time. Much has been made that SynLube will hype their product rather than report accurately. This gives us a chance to see if that claim is true.

Now, just what is the point of sending a sample to Dyson if SynLube reports that the oil is NOT holding up? It is only if SynLube sends back a positive UOA that it makes any sense to submit a sample to Dyson.

Doesn't this make sense?
It makes perfect sense to me. I wouldn't waste a second $40. US sending another sample to some guru unless the first sample comes back with good results. We should start a pool on how many pages this thread will go, or how many years it will go. I'm going to start things off with a guess of 68 pages and the year 2007.
Regards,
Paul in Haliburton.
quote:
The point of the UOAs is to see if the product gives a good result. Isn't that right?

Sending the first sample to SynLube gives them a chance to establish their validity.

Establish Validity??? What are you smoking An ICP spectro of wear metals will be Established by using certifed standards to callibrate the test equipment. There is NO validity to establish DUH. 10 ppm lead is 10 ppm lead.
If ICP machine is correctly calibrated any lab will give within a few percent same answer.

So basicly if your oil sample sucks then you will not want to advertise that so you will not send out to an INDEPENDENT lab that we all can trust right?
Bruce
BRUCE381: If you will take the time to go back over the posts, you will see that your comments simply miss the point. The question that has been raised is whether SynLube would report accurate results, not whether the a proper test method would. Thus my comments. You can't expect to read the last two or three posts and know what's going on here.

INHALIBURTON: Yes, this is a long-winded thread and I fully expect the controversy to continue even if BOTH SynLube AND Dyson give good reports.
I think Houckster is missing something. A lot of us would like to know what's up because the idea of a better oil is very seductive. The problem is that there have been too many snake oil products in the past, enough to say that almost all past wonder products have been rip-offs. Every now and then a better product shows up. Some of these products are the better deal, but suffer because they promised more than they delivered, even though what they delivered was enough to justify the label new and better. This thread has 10 pages, now, and that's proof that people whant to know. This company, Synlube, may be the real deal, but it's really difficult to seperate the facts from the hype. There is an additonal problem with Synlube. The jump to this stuff is expensive. So we have a group of geeks with a few that would make the jump if they could just get a handle on what's really going on.
Barkerman, that's the point that I've been trying to make as well. I certainly wouldn't mind the cost of this product, if the claims were backed up by some real user data. I guess now we just have to be patient and wait for Houckster to post his results of the UOA and go from there.

Other than that I guess this stuff is all academic, right?
Miro Kefurt is my name and I am the President of SynLube, Inc. our e-mail is synlube@aol.com, our web is http://www.synlube.com and our phone is 800-SYN-LUBE.

I am not Houckster although I know who he is as he is one of our ling time customers.

I any one had any direct questions please send them direct to me at the synlube@aol.com e-mail address.

Sorry I do not have time to live on message boards as we have a real business to take care of and already get 100 to 150 e-mail a day.

What is more "disturbing" that on this "noria" board the names like synlube, mirox and so on are ALREADY TAKEN, but we have never registered to this web before, so if anoyne ever posted anything as "synlube" it was not our compnay nor me personally, no MATTER WHAT THEY HAVE CLAIMED !!!

This is the FIRST time I have registered, and since our trade names are already "taken" I have used my name Miro Kefurt for sign-in lon in.

My basic question to all of you who are not even familiar or have ever used SynLube, what gives you any authotiry to even discuss it !?

Use if FIRST and then talk about it !

http://www.synlube.com
1-800-SYN-LUBE
synlube@aol.com

Colloidal super lubricants since 1969 !
WOW ten pages of arguments but not a single person but one that has ever used our product !

Real people in the real world, and not Aristotelian pure though experimenters, are our real live customers, and there are e-mail links to them on our web http://www.synlube.com

1.) SynLube eliminates oil changes for the "useful life" of motor vehicles - see EPA and CARB on what "useful life" is.

2.) Real people do not really care about TBN, particle counts, or any such results, they care it their car RUNS, and if it RUNS BETTER, and if it gets MORE POWER and uses LESS FUEL.

All those results are real as well as engine life in 300,000 to 500,000 mile range on now 20 years vehicles whose "useful life" and "certified useful life" for example was ONLY 5 years or 50,000 miles !! (Are you old enough to remember 1984 and cars like BERTONE who used SynLube as OEM fill ?)

No person on this planet ever comes to a mechanic and says I am worried about TBN, can you give me a $20 oil analysis, so I can figure out if I need your $19.95 oil change that is today only on $9.95 special !!!

Get out to real world - and if you posses a decent car - that is not a past it's "useful life" then just may be SynLube is what you need !!!

Miro Kefurt
SynLube, Inc.
Link copied to your clipboard.