Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:
Aside from using a qt of oil in 6000 miles, what is exactly wrong with Trajan's engine?

I read earlier today about a guy with a new V6 Honda who used a qt of the FF in 5000 miles. Does that mean his engine is bad Kirk? What if after 50,000 miles he continues to use a qt of oil every 5000 miles? I'll bet a weeks wages the dealer tells him its normal. You'll say he used the wrong oil and didn't follow proper break in procedure won't you?

AD

Ad,what don't you get?

I use synlube and never burn any oil......EVER---IN ANY OF MY CARS/EQUIPMENT!

Trajan's car burns oil,yet my lawn mower burns no oil!

Trajan is a proven liar...he probably burns at least twice what he admits!

I also pasted all the bimmer links proving there is an issue with these engines,especially when run on 'approved' oil. Many are getting re-builds at around 100k.

Trajan has yet to deny any of these facts,including that he needed work done on his engine!

Ad quoted:
"I read earlier today about a guy with a new V6 Honda who used a qt of the FF in 5000 miles."

That is the first honda(especailly new),that I have seen use oil. What gives? Sounds defective to me,at least compared to the norm!

"The dealer said it's normal" Dah,what do you expect them to say....."Everyone in the USA gets a free overhaul,due to our defective engines using defective oil". Yeh,that will happen,sure thing!! lol

How often have motorists been told that a defect is......'normal',and just live with it! BULL IF IT WERE ME,I would be on their case with STB'S,recalls,secret recalls,MY LAYWER,etc.until the so called 'normal issue' was.......RESOLVED/FIXED/LEMON LAW,ETC BELIEVE ME!!

If I was burning a quart of oil every 6k with the factory fill/approved oil,............I would use different oil,ASAP..........like Synlube,to solve the issue of burning/evaporation.
quote:
Originally posted by inHaliburton:
Hey Trajan, show us the ultimate proof that Synlube is "swill." Show us that engine belonging to your neighbour that burned up using Synlube that you claim exists.

You can't because you know it's a LIE!

Trajan is a LIAR and doesn't deny it.

Nothing coming out of your mouth can be trusted.

Well?

ihhaliburton. I agree! What a liar! Sad!

Gee,what happened to Nuke-dawg,or did Trajan just put him on ice for a while! Good riddance! He finally got banned,hopefully! Eek
Kirk- If that Honda engine is defective as you say what makes you so sure Synlube will work? Oil can't fix mfg defects.

Lawyers, Honda has more money and better lawyers than most of us. Then there is the standard issue, blanket, industry wide excuse of a qt of oil used in 1000 miles is considered normal. You'd be banging your head against a wall while going broke paying a lawyer. Not to mention Honda calls for 5W20 not 5W50 unapproved oil.

AD
quote:
Kirk- If that Honda engine is defective as you say what makes you so sure Synlube will work? Oil can't fix mfg defects.

Lawyers, Honda has more money and better lawyers than most of us. Then there is the standard issue, blanket, industry wide excuse of a qt of oil used in 1000 miles is considered normal. You'd be banging your head against a wall while going broke paying a lawyer. Not to mention Honda calls for 5W20 not 5W50 unapproved oil.

AD

The thinner Honda oil evaporates and sneaks past the piston rings.

The synlube has a much,much lower NOACK number,and seals the rings much better......just for starters.

No, synlube can't fix full blown mechanical defects,but it can compensate/alleviate certain design issues,including oil related issues.

Oil with a relatively high NOACK number will evaporate even in a well designed engine at a faster rate vs a low NOACK. Extremely low vis,and high solvents equates to evaporation losses,and oil use. This evaporation issue is not good for the emission system,and can possibly lead to sludge down the road in certain cases. At the very least it will not keep the system as clean as synlube.

------------------------------------

http://www.carcomplaints.com/H...il_consumption.shtml

Well Ad,looks like you're on to something with these Honda's burning oil.

Keep drinking the KOOL-AID------"only use mfg-approved oil"....and burn oil! Yeh,never second guess the mfg...and burn oil!! NOT ME..I KNOW BETTER!! Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Kirk:
quote:

AD

The synlube has a much,much lower NOACK number,and seals the rings much better......just for starters.

No, synlube can't fix full blown mechanical defects,but it can compensate/alleviate certain design issues,including oil related issues.

Oil with a relatively high NOACK number will evaporate even in a well designed engine at a faster rate vs a low NOACK. Extremely low vis,and high solvents equates to evaporation losses,and oil use. This evaporation issue is not good for the emission system,and can possibly lead to sludge down the road in certain cases. At the very least it will not keep the system as clean as synlube.

Keep drinking the KOOL-AID------"only use mfg-approved oil"....and burn oil! Yeh,never second guess the mfg...and burn oil!! NOT ME..I KNOW BETTER!! Cool

Interesting Kirk, oil too thick for an engine isn't any good either. Ever try and stick a softball in an opening for a golfball? It won't fit, that 50 grade oil is too thick. It will shear as it is forced into too small an opening. I think Honda engineers know a little more than you do. Using a 20 wt or even a 30 wt oil, no problem, a 50 wt, not a good idea. The engine was not designed for it. Will it work? Sure is it the best? No way. Maybe after half a million miles are logged and there's some wear, then a 50 wt might work, until then NG.

Besides that person I am referring to is one person. Honda makes some of the best engines in the world.

AD
quote:
quote:
quote:

AD

Interesting Kirk, oil too thick for an engine isn't any good either. Ever try and stick a softball in an opening for a golfball? It won't fit, that 50 grade oil is too thick. It will shear as it is forced into too small an opening. I think Honda engineers know a little more than you do. Using a 20 wt or even a 30 wt oil, no problem, a 50 wt, not a good idea. The engine was not designed for it. Will it work? Sure is it the best? No way. Maybe after half a million miles are logged and there's some wear, then a 50 wt might work, until then NG.

Besides that person I am referring to is one person. Honda makes some of the best engines in the world.

AD

I think you meant....Best engines in the world of oil burners...

Softball-golfball?? THAT'S SOUNDS REALLY TECHNICAL!!

I have a Jeep 4.7 that recommends 5w-20,and I use 5w-50 Synlube. Engine runs like a top!!

I do 80-90 on the freeway,and occasional WOT!! Engine runs like a dream! Fuel economy is better than what most claim on the net.

My last several cars all called for 5w-30,and I used 5w-50 synlube. Never any issues in all those....YEARS!!!

Ad quoted:

"Maybe after half a million miles are logged and there's some wear, then a 50 wt might work, until then NG."

http://www.2carpros.com/topics/oilburn.htm
As shown by his own links, using the wrong viscosity leads to sludge. If Honda thought their engines needed a 50 wt, they'd spec it. simlube doesn't meet said weight though.

Honda makes about 14 million engines of all types a year. Every car at the 2010 Indy 500 was Honda powered, with no failures.

They have a solid rep as engine builders. Unlike Miro and the puppets.

As an aside:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I...l_Engine_of_the_Year

Notice the number if Yugo engines listed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward%27s_10_Best_Engines

Notice again, the number of Yugo engines. and the number of BMW engines. The M54 among them.

Choke on it puppets.
\
quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:
As shown by his own links, using the wrong viscosity leads to sludge. If Honda thought their engines needed a 50 wt, they'd spec it. simlube doesn't meet said weight though.

Honda makes about 14 million engines of all types a year. Every car at the 2010 Indy 500 was Honda powered, with no failures.

As an aside:

Notice again, the number of Yugo engines. and the number of BMW engines. The M54 among them.

Choke on it puppets.

CHOKE ON THIS...

quote:
quote:

CHOKE ON THIS...

Hey, nice find Kirk. Imagine. Honda with that attitude and treating customers like that. They are no better than Toyota. Disgusting!

Hey, inhaliburton. Long time no hear! Good to hear from you!

Yep, Thats'why I buy American--except the one VW! Never any problems with any of them.

Although,I am a maintenance fanatic..... always gives better results! I flush all the fluids,such as....power steering,brake fluid,coolant,tranny,gear oil(Synlube gear oil is perm.),etc.

How's the weather in Canada,been really hot/humid down here!!!
quote:

As an aside:

Choke on it puppets.

Every thread Abbott And Costello show up in turns to crap. Notice the pattern?

Glad you liked the ball analogy Kirk, I made it so you'd understand.

You can force oil to shear Kirk, especially if it is too thick for the application. I'll take what Honda specs as Gospel for their engines, before I listen to you. Following your logic maybe you and your buddy should go back to the secret location and add some tefflon and moly to 75W90 for your next batch of Synlube. Walmart has some in the automotive department, use that for a host/base oil. That's where you guys are getting the oil for Synlube isn't it?

BTW Kirk Seems BMW builds some nice engines according to the links Trajan posted. Hardly junk, have a look! Honda is on the list too, strange isn't it?

AD
quote:
quote:

As an aside:

Choke on it puppets.

You can force oil to shear Kirk, especially if it is too thick for the application. I'll take what Honda specs as Gospel for their engines, before I listen to you. Following your logic maybe you and your buddy should go back to the secret location and add some tefflon and moly to 75W90 for your next batch of Synlube. Walmart has some in the automotive department, use that for a host/base oil. That's where you guys are getting the oil for Synlube isn't it?

AD

Boy you are a real Jar-head! You will take Honda as gospel,even after I debunked your claims. How many more facts do you need......SOLDIER!! KP DUTY FOR YOU!!! DROP AND GIVE ME 50 PUSH UPS....IF YOU CAN!!
quote:
It's Sailor. What exactly have you proven BTW? Now Honda doesn't know how to build an engine or spec an oil? You are kidding aren't you?

AD

SAILOR,I KNOW!

Well,you did see the links I pasted showing quality issues with the honda engines. What didn't you get??

More links..

http://www.hondacarforum.com/a...l-recomendation.html

I recall reading way back,Honda admitted 5w-20 oil will lower the life expectancy of their engines! It's mainly used in the US FOR THOSE PESKY CAFE STANDARDS!!
quote:
Lets see Kirk, how many Honda's are on the road? How many people posted in that thread? How are Honda's thought of? What is the % of dissatisfied Honda owners? Every auto maker has complaints, even Yugo.

AD

How may people smoke/drink into their 80's? Plenty!!! Using your logic........smoking is good for you!!!
quote:
quote:

As an aside:

Choke on it puppets.

BTW Kirk Seems BMW builds some nice engines according to the links Trajan posted. Hardly junk, have a look! Honda is on the list too, strange isn't it?

AD

That they do. Well, their apprentice doesn't exactly improve a thread either. Shivers looking for a spine to run up.

This would all stop if we threw out our integrity and towed the sunlube/yugo line.
quote:
I see you own a Jeep, the internet is free of Jeep complaints? I doubt it, and didn't have to do a search either.

AD

No complaints with any of my vehicles/equipment...NONE.......I USE SYNLUBE!!

AD QUOTE..

"Following your logic maybe you and your buddy should go back to the secret location and add some tefflon and moly to 75W90 for your next batch of Synlube."

The gear oil(synlube) in my Jeep actually does have teflon,and moly,and graphite. I can see you read the synlube website! Oh,that's right, you didn't read the site.....otherwise you would have know that info!
Ad

quote:
Remember that gets fed dino oil,

Well,what else would a dinosaur use?

In NJ...we have emission regulations. Any oil burners are taken off the road. Many states don't have emission inspections so vehicles in disrepair stay on the road....polluting the environment with shot engines that don't belong on the road,and people claim...."but it's still running"!! Many more,actually cheat the system! I have seen many oil burners........in NJ. Some beat the system for a while,until the engine dies or they finally get caught!!

My last buick with 179k passed emission inspection with no issues,and the oil alone had 70k on it!! Check engine light never came on! Try doing that with......DINO OIL!!!
Last edited by captainkirk
quote:
Lets see Kirk, how many Honda's are on the road? How many people posted in that thread? How are Honda's thought of? What is the % of dissatisfied Honda owners? Every auto maker has complaints, even Yugo.

AD

AD, what makes me wonder if there are only a few Honda engines that are smokers, why don't they bite the bullet and fix them under warranty? That's what bothers me when a auto manufacturer shirks their duty by telling the consumer that it's normal to burn a quart every thousand miles. We all know that's ridiculous.
quote:

In NJ...we have emission regulations. Any oil burners are taken off the road. Many states don't have emission inspections so vehicles in disrepair stay on the road....polluting the environment with shot engines that don't belong on the road,and people claim...."but it's still running"!!

Kirk, I'll bet Trajan stays out of NJ with that smoker of his. Wink
quote:
quote:

In NJ...we have emission regulations. Any oil burners are taken off the road. Many states don't have emission inspections so vehicles in disrepair stay on the road....polluting the environment with shot engines that don't belong on the road,and people claim...."but it's still running"!!

Kirk, I'll bet Trajan stays out of NJ with that smoker of his. Wink

inHaliburton,Notice how Trajan is still dodging the engine overhaul statements I threw at him. Maybe he finally had that oil issue taken care of with a big-fat-repair bill!

Well,I need a break. See ya next week! Have a good weekend!

Kirk
quote:
Ad

quote:
Remember that gets fed dino oil,

Well,what else would a dinosaur use?

In NJ...we have emission regulations. Any oil burners are taken off the road. Many states don't have emission inspections so vehicles in disrepair stay on the road....polluting the environment with shot engines that don't belong on the road,and people claim...."but it's still running"!! Many more,actually cheat the system! I have seen many oil burners........in NJ. Some beat the system for a while,until the engine dies or they finally get caught!!

My last buick with 179k passed emission inspection with no issues,and the oil alone had 70k on it!! Check engine light never came on! Try doing that with......DINO OIL!!!

NY too where I was born and raised, and where my father and uncle live. That F Series truck still passes the sniffer test, original CC too. With dino oil go figure!

AD
quote:
quote:

AD

AD, what makes me wonder if there are only a few Honda engines that are smokers, why don't they bite the bullet and fix them under warranty? That's what bothers me when a auto manufacturer shirks their duty by telling the consumer that it's normal to burn a quart every thousand miles. We all know that's ridiculous.

I don't own a Honda, I own a Ford, and couldn't be happier. Still Honda has quite an impressive track record and following.

That qt/1000 mile excuse has been around for decades I've been told. Seems all car makers use it when a car comes back under warranty using oil. I'm sure Yugo dealers used it a few times too. Smile

AD
quote:
I use synlube and never burn any oil......EVER---IN ANY OF MY CARS/EQUIPMENT!

Trajan's car burns oil,yet my lawn mower burns no oil!

I have to assume that you never actually operate any of this equipment. That's the only way I can imagine that such an absurdly absolutist statement can begin to approach the truth.

If you said your consumption rate (whether though leakage, combustion or theft by pixies) was negligible or undetectable, it would bear examination. As currently stated, it can be safely rejected out of hand.

quote:
In NJ...we have emission regulations. Any oil burners are taken off the road.

That fib might fool people who neither live nor drive in Joisey. NJ has moved to a system where they plug into the diagnostic port & if they don't read any codes, you pass. They don't even look at the tailpipe, much less analyze what's coming out of it. I just passed NJ inspection last month with a miss due to a dead coil. I was late, hadn't had time to fix it and was planning to get a red sticker just to stay legal. Imagine my surprise when I passed emissions.
BEST ENGINES?

Ward's 10 best engines annually is based on emotional evaluation and a sometimes a test drive of a vehicle by Industry Magazine writers with approximate annual income of $40,000.

They are NOT engineers - or else they would never pick engines with built in mechanical flaws
They are NOT mechanics - or else they would not pick engines where you cannot access maintenance items
They are NOT consumers - or else they would not pick engines that are just plain too expensive to manufacture, and offer no measurable benefit over existing design already in production.

And their picks are littered with well problematic engines years down the road

Isuzu (General Motors) 6.6 L V8 engine Duramax Turbodiesel
Was the best ever engine - period in 2002

Now tell that to the owners in 2010 that experienced 100% failure of the Injectors and flooded their crankcases with Diesel Fuel (leaks into Motor Oil).

Tell that to those that had to spend $1,000's to fix the engines well before 100,000 miles on them and were fortunate not to seize them.

Tell the thousands of VW owners with their best engine why the engines sludge up, blow ignition cols and catch on fire.

SO only time tells how great something really is, and to me engine that runs reliably 40 years AFTER it has been designed and 26 years after it was manufactured is far better design and engine than one that is in the best car ever made that is in 7 years in a junk yard.

If money is NO object hen you can have the 10 best engines every year, just get new vehicle every month - but then if it is truly best (BMW) why does it depreciate to 33% of its original value in just one year of ownership ?

When the BEST does not hold it's value, how good really is it ?

To 82% of any vehicle owners (under 1 year) the BEST is what they bought, in 3 years only 42% think so and in 5 years it is just 13%.
Now if someone still owns and drives a same car 26 yeas letter they really really think it is the BEST and GREATEST EVER – whether someone else thinks so or otherwise is really irrelevant.
By volume of production and the minor changes in the versions the GM 350 V-8 reigns supreme, closely followed by the VW flat 4.

Now why did BMW had to come up with over 50 new engine designs in just under 12 years ?

Simply, they did not work out in durability and performance as "expected", when you FAIL and FAIL and FAIL again, that in itself is a SUCCESS !!!
quote:
Originally posted by Lamont B Dumont:

quote:
In NJ...we have emission regulations. Any oil burners are taken off the road.

That fib might fool people who neither live nor drive in Joisey. NJ has moved to a system where they plug into the diagnostic port & if they don't read any codes, you pass. They don't even look at the tailpipe, much less analyze what's coming out of it. I just passed NJ inspection last month with a miss due to a dead coil. I was late, hadn't had time to fix it and was planning to get a red sticker just to stay legal. Imagine my surprise when I passed emissions.

It's the same here IIRC. Emission testing in PA is not required in 42 of the counties though. http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/info_non.htm
So they the VW is an oil burner? I thought none of your cars used oil?

All engines use some oil, the amount varies but they do use oil. A certain amount, a very tiny amount, gets past the top ring, and is burnt off. How much oil an engine uses is anyones guess, but extend the OCI long enough and every engine will use some oil.

AD
quote:
So they the VW is an oil burner? I thought none of your cars used oil?

All engines use some oil, the amount varies but they do use oil. A certain amount, a very tiny amount, gets past the top ring, and is burnt off. How much oil an engine uses is anyones guess, but extend the OCI long enough and every engine will use some oil.

AD

I am presently checking to see IF...the VW uses some oil. So far...NONE. I am keeping very accurate log books. I just changed the filter and log it several months ago. I thought at the filter change I may have have added slightly more oil than the filter capacity to bring level up. The oil hasn't budged yet in 2500 miles,so we will see in the months to come.

I am keeping even better tabs of everything I do more precise,including cutting open the oil filters...every time now!! Every car has it's own log book. The Jeep and the stang had better/perfect record keeping,and have used no oil at all in 14-17k.so far.

The VW record keeping was not quite picture perfect as will be for the sake of this board,if nothing else. I did mention in an earlier post that the VW 'might' use 1/2 liter of oil in 10k+.....that would be a quart in 20K. I believe by definition,that is a 'dry" engine.

So far,according to my log book.....2500 miles since filter change,and the oil level is the same. VW Car has been driven on several(30 miles each way)highway runs in 100 degree heat,and level is EXACTLY THE SAME.Jeep was driven weekends 50 miles each way in this heat all summer,and no oil use(normal weekday driving). The Mustang is driven on the highway/city every day,and uses no oil.......NONE!!

Just for the record............VW'S (1.8T,2.0T.ETC)ARE KNOWN TO BURN OIL.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/vw_oil.html

THE PERFECT TEST CAR/ENGINE FOR SYNLUBE=1.8T VW-----DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THIS TO PROVE SYNLUBE!!!!

http://www.myvwlemon.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000050.html

http://forums.vwvortex.com/sho...-Jetta-s-Burning-Oil

http://www.audiforums.com/foru...owthread.php?t=58531

http://www.myvwlemon.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000257.html

ACCORDING TO ALL SOURCES---THE 1.8T ENGINE IS A LEMON AND SHOULD NEVER SEE EXTENDED OCI'S.

NOT MY 1.8T!!!!! I AM DEFYING ALL THE STATISTICS USING SYNLUBE AND NOT CHANGING THE OIL!!!! NO ENGINE ISSUES WITH THIS 1.8T--AGAINST ALL ODDS!!
Miro old boy, you can huff and puff all the "claims" you want.

Doesn't change the fact that BMW, or any other auto maker, makes cars that are light years ahead of anything called Yugo.

Yugos rank just a bit better than the 1947 Playboy. It makes a better boat anchor.

Only your sock puppets buy into your nonsense Geppetto.
Last edited by trajan
Kirks quote according to my father is pretty much a blanket excuse. Most if not all auto makers claim a qt of oil/1000 miles is normal oil use. No one is happy hearing it if they use that much oil but that's what they will hear.

ALL ENGINES USE OIL, just extend the OCI out far enough and you will know how much oil your engine uses. There is no such thing as a car that doesn't use oil. A more accurate statement about oil use would be I use no oil between changes. So in the case of a 6 month or 6000 mile OCI. If a person used no oil, an accurate statement would be he used no oil during his OCI.

AD
quote:
Kirks quote according to my father is pretty much a blanket excuse. Most if not all auto makers claim a qt of oil/1000 miles is normal oil use. No one is happy hearing it if they use that much oil but that's what they will hear.

What is my quote...according to common sense!

My quote is a statement of fact!

If the so-called 'defective engines'(not my opinion),receive non-defective oil......the 'defective' engine issues---------GO AWAY!!!

I AM LIVING PROOF WITH MY NON-DEFECTIVE 1.8T-----RUNNING ON SYNLUBE!!

What does your 'father' have to say about that,AD.
Link copied to your clipboard.